Media Stings: Unfair? England manager, Sam Allardyce, could be toast

ShoutingIsLeadership

Mister men

Socratus O' Pericles

Litigation may well ensue.

automaticforthepeople

Big Sam started out in Limerick, he learnt all he knows there! Perhaps we'll move the discussion to the Limerick thread?

redacted

Is it proper journalism, to set people up for ridicule and embarrassment?

Sam Allardyce has been stitched up like a kipper, by The Telegraph:

Exclusive investigation: England manager Sam Allardyce for sale

On the non-financial side, he mocked Roy/Woy Hodgson and Gary Neville.

Exclusive: Sam Allardyce mocked predecessor Roy Hodgson - and hit out at Gary Neville

Is there a point to such journalism?
There's definitely a whiff of the gutter about it but they claim it's just a part of a wider expose on corruption in football. So in that context its fair enough.

danger here

Business as usual but obviously some fancy him being replaced sooner rather than later.

TakeitAll

Exclusive: Sam Allardyce mocked predecessor Roy Hodgson - and hit out at Gary Neville

It shows some lack of judgement and how greedy all these football cretins are. Slagging off his new paymaster and commenting on the guy he replaced, players etc. will have the knives out for him now
The clown thought all the media loved him and took his eye off the ball. Pillock.

JCR

My only problem with this kind of journalism is that its mostly wasted on football and celebrities and the like. How about trying it on the likes of NAMA?

edwin

Journalism is essentially just a business now so if this sells people will print it. That's what people fail to recognise.

I always find it amusing when somebody criticises sexism in society for newspaper features on, for example, Teresa May's shoes. Newspapers print it because women read it, nothing to do with men or the dreaded patriarchy whatsoever.

Roberto Jordan

Journalism is essentially just a business now so if this sells people will print it. .
What makes you think it was ever not just a business?
I am not in the media but I am unaware of a golden age....

In my experience aside from sober analysis and evidence heavy opinion in papers like the FT most of what any of us read or hear spoken about topics or events we have personal understanding of is utter guff - it was always thus.

I am prepared to speculate that the quality of journalism has probably dipped in response to decline of traditional jobs, proliferation of media outlets and , as with every profession that existed prior to the explosion in university particpation and , in particular, legal/financial/ STEM opportunities, the dip in quality of entrants ( which makes elevation of a goofy, barely coherent, lickspittle media graduate to minister for health kind of worrying.......give a pretty average intellect the most powerful job anyone in his generation currently holds-right)

Trainwreck

I see no difference between this and a genuine meeting and transaction that is leaked by the initiating party.

He did it, he has a public role, his employers will probably be pissed, he needs to answer for his behaviour.

Clanrickard

My only problem with this kind of journalism is that its mostly wasted on football and celebrities and the like. How about trying it on the likes of NAMA?
NAMA don't talk to the press. Neither do civil servants. Big Sam loves the sound of his own voice.

DaveM

If memory serves this isn't the first time that questions have been raised about Allardyce and his attitude towards the "ethics" of football transfers. Open to correction but Wasn't he one of the managers the BBC shone a light on a few years back?

Anyway, nobody forced him to give advise on how to circumvent the ban on third party player ownership so he only has himself to blame for that. And he should be a little more street wise. He's the England manager, i.e. the undisputed number one media sting target in the UK.

New Threads

Most Replies