• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Media violence and the effects. (uni assignment)

ItsEvolution

Hi guys Studying for my final term in uni thought I'd start a discussion on Media violence and the effects it possibly has as its one of my modules, I'm firmly on the side that there is no correlation (will maybe some) but through readings I've found perpetrators of violent crime are less likely to participate in any types of media violence, one reason due to being they can't afford the tools i.e, games consoles, dvds, internet.

So what ever you guys have throw it this way, reading endless amounts of studies just start to get boaring so I want to here actually peoples views and maybe I'll get a broader view helping me further with my study. thanks.

shiel

Media have an enormous influence on the opinions of the target population.

Otherwise, as an example, a certain multinational company would not spend billions on advertisements telling us to drink a multinationally recognised drink which is nothing more than piss laced with an almighty amount of sugar.

Make no mistake about it media violence has an enormous influence on deciding what is acceptable in society.

That may be 'boaring' [boring] but it is true.

Hand of Abbadon

A more interesting topic closer to home woud be Social Media violence and the effects.

ManOfReason

YOU ARE SO WRONG AND IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP OR I WILL SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE

Astral Peaks

Hi guys Studying for my final term in uni thought I'd start a discussion on Media violence and the effects it possibly has as its one of my modules, I'm firmly on the side that there is no correlation (will maybe some) but through readings I've found perpetrators of violent crime are less likely to participate in any types of media violence, one reason due to being they can't afford the tools i.e, games consoles, dvds, internet.

So what ever you guys have throw it this way, reading endless amounts of studies just start to get boaring so I want to here actually peoples views and maybe I'll get a broader view helping me further with my study. thanks.
Define "Media Violence" please?

Are you talking about depictions of violent acts in the media?

(P.S. You are in Final year at University? Has your spelling skill ever come up during your time in college?)

dresden8

I've just finished playing Medieval Total War 2. I'm off to invade France.

Hitch 22

I can't tell you how many times I have been invited to office Christmas parties and while I am popping into a nearby room to freshen up I hear the sounds of gunfire as German terrorists take over building to steal from the vault. There are only so many wifebeater vests in my drawer and there are only so many pieces of glass I can pick out of my bare feet.

sking81

I would wager that on the whole, people who play violent video games regularly are less violent or likely to commit violent acts than those who dont. Im not so sure if this would hold true in the case of very young children (in the 5-10 age group) but teenagers up, I would say its true.

Statistically, we've never lived in a safer time. A large part of that, in my opinion, at least in the developed countries where gaming is popular, is that whereas the of youth of previous eras would have been getting up to mischief throughout their teens, they now spend their days racking up kill streaks in Call of Duty.

One worrying trend I do see coming as a result of the internet though is more psycopatic tendenices developing in youth. Psychopaths need not be violent, they simply dont have a level of emphaty with others that could be considered 'normal'.

ItsEvolution

Define "Media Violence" please?

Are you talking about depictions of violent acts in the media?

(P.S. You are in Final year at University? Has your spelling skill ever come up during your time in college?)
Thanks for the info guys, astral yes I know, I have diagnosed dyslexia and adhd which means I tend to just type and don't bother proof reading, one of the reasons i've sought help because I've a three hour exam next week and am very anxious about having to write and sit in a room for three hours.

Anyway yes im looking at violence on all levels, was thinking earlier regarding 'cultivation theory' that the news has alot to answer for as it pumps out hysteria daily in a 24hr cycle just to win ratings creating a fearful society that tends to think that we live in an extremely violent world when in actual fact its less violent.

dresden8

Thanks for the info guys, astral yes I know, I have diagnosed dyslexia and adhd which means I tend to just type and don't bother proof reading, one of the reasons i've sought help because I've a three hour exam next week and am very anxious about having to write and sit in a room for three hours.

Anyway yes im looking at violence on all levels, was thinking earlier regarding 'cultivation theory' that the news has alot to answer for as it pumps out hysteria daily in a 24hr cycle just to win ratings creating a fearful society that tends to think that we live in an extremely violent world when in actual fact its less violent.
Were you just cyber-bullied by AP there?

With his history he should know better.

ItsEvolution

I would wager that on the whole, people who play violent video games regularly are less violent or likely to commit violent acts than those who dont. Im not so sure if this would hold true in the case of very young children (in the 5-10 age group) but teenagers up, I would say its true.

Statistically, we've never lived in a safer time. A large part of that, in my opinion, at least in the developed countries where gaming is popular, is that whereas the of youth of previous eras would have been getting up to mischief throughout their teens, they now spend their days racking up kill streaks in Call of Duty.

One worrying trend I do see coming as a result of the internet though is more psycopatic tendenices developing in youth. Psychopaths need not be violent, they simply dont have a level of emphaty with others that could be considered 'normal'.
So you think we are desensitized ? Do you think when we had to kill and butcher our own animals for food that the daily chore of killing and seeing blood and guts made us more a violent society?

Truth.ie

Thanks so much for these, I have been thinking of using the violence in the bible to show that throughout history we have always been a violent society
Now you can just plagiarise the whole article.
Who'd know?

Astral Peaks

Ah man, sorry about the spelling quip, I didn't know. Apologies. In fact, kudos to you!

As for the subject, I suspect you might have to look at media ownership and the cross-fertilisation between large entertainment companies and media ownership, especially in the case of near monopoly.

There is definitely a cause/effect relationship between the two. Inb the US this can manifest itself very strongly.
In Providence, R.I., one company owns the only newspaper in town, the two biggest TV stations, five radio stations and the cable system. So effective control of what is shown, especially to children, is not in any way mediated by market forces.That is a very serious question that has not been reduced in its importance because of the advent of rating controls. There still is a significant impact on local public safety issues that is relevant and, as a result, media-ownership issues remain relevant.

ItsEvolution

Now you can just plagiarise the whole article.
Who'd know?
Ha, no man whats the point, I'd like to have my own ideas on this by building up info, I'm starting to create my own narrative. Also I have an exam on it so I need to read through these articles and remember chunks for the exam, thanks for these.

Hitch 22

Whenever I go skiiing I am chased by men in black with machine guns mounted on their snow mobiles. I always try to lose them in the forest where one or two are sure to crash into a rock or tree trunk and die in a hot fireball. I might kill another with a ski pole through the chest and commandeer his snow mobile but I am sure to come under cannon fire from a helicopter gunship. The best thing to do is to fire a distress flare into the cockpit and as the muppets inside are blinded by the red smoke they flying into a mountain side. There is always some babe with tits bursting out of her low cut leotard waiting for me back at the chalet.

Hitch 22

Violent movies are as likely to turn men into a violent psychopaths as romantic movies are going to teach women how to find Mr. Right.