Medical Users causing huge overloading in our General practitioners.

Politics matters

Should adult, self paying patients be prioritized over medical card users in local GP's?

I personally believe they should be , I'm suffering with a chest infection here and will probably have to miss work and college as a result.

It's very likely that tomorrow, due to today's storm will create a huge waiting list at my local clinic and thus I will have to wait until Wednesday to be seen by my Doctor.

It's obvious that many patients who personally avail of my Doctor are medical card users and contribute a great deal of burden on the clinic and while I sympathize with the fact that we all should have the right to medical attention, there are many patients who need it sooner than others.

If someone is unemployed and not in full time education, lying in bed isn't something they would be unfamiliar with and isn't going to cause disruptions to their daily life and other external parties.

If someone is working or in full time education, having to take sick days can be a huge inconvenience, I've a deadline to meet by next Monday and thus cannot afford not to attend college and my employer won't be happy by my absence.We also have to take in to consideration the economic effects of having an employed person avail of sick days to be more costly for the state relative to an unemployed person.

If I for instance was prioritized above a social welfare recipient, I'd be back to full health much sooner by at least a day and this would be less costly to the state and my own workload.

willow68

Whoa there, aren't you quite the ray of sunshine. The system itself is badly organised, and requires more flexibility, granted. But are you qualified to diagnose anyone?
From your post I get a staggering amount of disdain for unemployed layabouts clogging up the system for more worthy patients like yourself. Get over yourself, or head for the Mater Private or the Blackrock Clinic. They are more your type of quality. Sheesh.

Politics matters

Whoa there, aren't you quite the ray of sunshine. The system itself is badly organised, and requires more flexibility, granted. But are you qualified to diagnose anyone?
From your post I get a staggering amount of disdain for unemployed layabouts clogging up the system for more worthy patients like yourself. Get over yourself, or head for the Mater Private or the Blackrock Clinic. They are more your type of quality. Sheesh.
I think you have me mistaken for someone who comes from or has money, but I'd hope you'd agree that if an unemployed person with the same symptoms as mine should be willing to give up his or her appointment to the Doctor to someone who needs it more, such as me.

willow68

I think you have me mistaken for someone who comes from or has money, but I'd hope you'd agree that if an unemployed person with the same symptoms as mine should be willing to give up his or her appointment to the Doctor to someone who needs it more, such as me.
I hate waiting at the doctor's as much as anyone. But access to health care should be based on need, not ability to pay. I pay dearly for private health insurance, yet at the GP we are all equal. You state you have a chest infection..the system itself is rotten, if you cannot be seen until Wednesday. I fundamentally disagreed with the free GP access for the under-fives. Or was it six... Anyway, a 10 year old whose parents just earn enough to be denied a medical card can go and do one, or get wait to bad enough to require A&E treatment. But I digress.
My sympathy on your current spell of illness.
You should be able to see a GP in a timely fashion which doesn't cause too much upheaval i your schedule. But blame the system, not the poor devils ahead of you in the queue tomorrow morning.
As an employer, I prefer my colleagues to take a little time for seeing a GP, rather than ending up in the hospital for an aggravated because neglected condition.

Politics matters

Would you ask them to use their coffin as quick.
As mentioned I'm only talking about inconvenient, non threatening visits to the GP, which is what makes up the majority.

If Johnner gets a chest cold, he should have to wait a little longer than me to be seen, it's unlikely he'll be burdened that much by being deprived of antibiotics for a day or so.

He mightn't be able to go the pub or the bookies for a few days, but those are luxuries not necessities.

Lonewolfe

Should adult, self paying patients be prioritized over medical card users in local GP's?

I personally believe they should be , I'm suffering with a chest infection here and will probably have to miss work and college as a result.

It's very likely that tomorrow, due to today's storm will create a huge waiting list at my local clinic and thus I will have to wait until Wednesday to be seen by my Doctor.

It's obvious that many patients who personally avail of my Doctor are medical card users and contribute a great deal of burden on the clinic and while I sympathize with the fact that we all should have the right to medical attention, there are many patients who need it sooner than others.

If someone is unemployed and not in full time education, lying in bed isn't something they would be unfamiliar with and isn't going to cause disruptions to their daily life and other external parties.

If someone is working or in full time education, having to take sick days can be a huge inconvenience, I've a deadline to meet by next Monday and thus cannot afford not to attend college and my employer won't be happy by my absence.We also have to take in to consideration the economic effects of having an employed person avail of sick days to be more costly for the state relative to an unemployed person.

If I for instance was prioritized above a social welfare recipient, I'd be back to full health much sooner by at least a day and this would be less costly to the state and my own workload.
I think they should all be killed so that you can go straight to the top of the queue and get your poor chestywesty seen to.

pumpkinpie

I'm a medical card patient and usually when I visit my GP it's because I'm in agonising pain and sitting there waiting to be seen is excruciatingly painful. When I need surgery I go on a long waiting list for it, you wait a few weeks or months for it. Medical card patients aren't a lower form of life and frankly I find your post offensive.

willow68

As mentioned I'm only talking about inconvenient, non threatening visits to the GP, which is what makes up the majority.

If Johnner gets a chest cold, he should have to wait a little longer than me to be seen, it's unlikely he'll be burdened that much by being deprived of antibiotics for a day or so.

He mightn't be able to go the pub or the bookies for a few days, but those are luxuries not necessities.
Darling, 'Johnner' could have meningitis where every minute counts. The smelly old person next to you might be in absolute agony with arthritis. The next one about to have a CI. Please go see the Wizard for your Heart.

Politics matters

I hate waiting at the doctor's as much as anyone. But access to health care should be based on need, not ability to pay. I pay dearly for private health insurance, yet at the GP we are all equal. You state you have a chest infection..the system itself is rotten, if you cannot be seen until Wednesday. I fundamentally disagreed with the free GP access for the under-fives. Or was it six... Anyway, a 10 year old whose parents just earn enough to be denied a medical card can go and do one, or get wait to bad enough to require A&E treatment. But I digress.
My sympathy on your current spell of illness.
You should be able to see a GP in a timely fashion which doesn't cause too much upheaval i your schedule. But blame the system, not the poor devils ahead of you in the queue tomorrow morning.
As an employer, I prefer my colleagues to take a little time for seeing a GP, rather than ending up in the hospital for an aggravated because neglected condition.
But in my instance it would be based on need, as I don't have the time to miss anymore days of college.

willow68

I'm a medical card patient and usually when I visit my GP it's because I'm in agonising pain and sitting there waiting to be seen is excruciatingly painful. When I need surgery I go on a long waiting list for it, you wait a few weeks or months for it. Medical card patients aren't a lower form of life and frankly I find your post offensive.
So sorry to hear that. Blessings.

Politics matters

Don't have private health insurance myself, although I was very ill in the summer and had no choice but to pay privately out of my own pocket, no way was I going to wait for months on end to be seen.

I never said MC patients are beneath anyone, I'm asking them to consider that others don't get to have the privilege of resting when sick just as easily as they have other commitments to attend to.

Dame_Enda

I believe healthcare is a right not a privilege.

I do however oppose freebies for the very wealthy. Their right to health care is one they can and should pay for.

From each according to his ability - To each according to his needs.

pumpkinpie

Don't have private health insurance myself, although I was very ill in the summer and had no choice but to pay privately out of my own pocket, no way was I going to wait for months on end to be seen.

I never said MC patients are beneath anyone, I'm asking them to consider that others don't get to have the privilege of resting when sick just as easily as they have other commitments to attend to.
You are young and impatient, which is normal. I used to have a career that I loved and enjoyed but chronic extreme pain shrinks your world and to look at me you would never know that there was anything wrong with me, unless I haven't had much sleep for weeks. My point is that you can't tell who is more urgent and who isn't. You could be sitting next to me and feeling like crap with your chest infection, they are awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I could be sitting next to you looking healthy but leaping out of my skin with pain while desperately waiting to get a prescription for the strongest painkillers I can get.

Politics matters

You are young and impatient, which is normal. I used to have a career that I loved and enjoyed but chronic extreme pain shrinks your world and to look at me you would never know that there was anything wrong with me, unless I haven't had much sleep for weeks. My point is that you can't tell who is more urgent and who isn't. You could be sitting next to me and feeling like crap with your chest infection, they are awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I could be sitting next to you looking healthy but leaping out of my skin with pain while desperately waiting to get a prescription for the strongest painkillers I can get.
Pump I'm sorry for your situation I'm sure you're a decent person, obviously a better person than me. My apologies if I offended you.

Unfortunately however they're feckless wasters from where I'm from who cost the state huge amounts of money in so many areas, in particular health and it's to the detriment of people like you.

These people are able bodied and if they would just take their fingers out, they would be able to get a job, something which you may not have the privilege of having due to your illness.

Expose the lot of them

As has already been suggested why not take yourself off to the Beacon, Blackrock or Mater private? Is there no 100% private GP practice you could attend?

good dog

Medical card holders consume about 70% of all medication prescribed by doctors in this country. 70% of the people do not have a medical card.
Common practise in Ireland for a practise to employ a doctor is that they will get a set salary which covers their seeing medical card holders and they get to keep the cash the private patient (also known as a sick person) will part with.

The small charge to be paid per item for the medical card holder greatly reduced their consumption of medicines due to having to part with a small amount of money for something they didn't need but only got cause it was free worked really well. Should implement the same thing with the doctors.

pumpkinpie

Pump I'm sorry for your situation I'm sure you're a decent person, obviously a better person than me. My apologies if I offended you.

Unfortunately however they're feckless wasters from where I'm from who cost the state huge amounts of money in so many areas, in particular health and it's to the detriment of people like you.

These people are able bodied and if they would just take their fingers out, they would be able to get a job, something which you may not have the privilege of having due to your illness.
I get what you're saying and I agree with you about the time wasters, it's frustrating for all. I wouldn't want Ireland to go down the route of America, the 2 tier system we have is bad enough as it is. I hope your chest infection clears soon. By the way, for the coughing slather the soles of your feet in Vicks vapo rub and put socks on before you get into bed, I don't know why it works but it really cuts down the coughing and you'll get more rest, it's great on your chest and temples too. Also, you can't go wrong with white Tiger balm for the aches and pains.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies