medicinal cannabis

McSlaggart

Politicians have called on the Home Office to retract a letter it sent to a Northern Ireland GP "warning" against writing any more prescriptions for medicinal cannabis for a 12-year-old boy who suffers from severe epilepsy.

SDLP health spokesman, Mark H Durkan said he was "appalled" that the Home Office had reacted so "heavy-handedly to a very sensitive and high profile case".

The SDLP said the letter had been sent to a GP treating Billy Caldwell, from Castlederg in Co Tyrone.

The youngster suffers from intractable epilepsy and repeated seizures, with each potentially lethal.

Last year, he made history when he was prescribed oil containing CBD – an extract from cannabis – to help with his condition.

Sinn Féin MP Órfhlaith Begley said she would also be writing to the Home Office "asking for an explanation as to why they have ordered the cessation of prescriptions for Billy Caldwell’s medical cannabis."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/05/21/news/sdlp-challenge-home-office-letter-sent-to-northern-ireland-gp-1334288/

cannabis should be provided when it gives some sort of improvement to a medical condition!!!!

Lagertha

These cases are exceptional and those people affected should be allowed to use cannabis oil. They shouldn't be forced to endure what they do and it's obscene that the parents are forced to travel abroad to try and source it.

petaljam

Yes. And unacceptable too the way the doctor who had been prescribing it for him was instructed to stop. What sort of jobsworth takes it on him/herself to do that to someone?

SPN

These cases are exceptional and those people affected should be allowed to use cannabis oil.
They aren't exceptional. There are a huge number of people who would benefit from cannabis derived treatments.

The problem lies somewhere in the deepest bowels of the Public Service who seem to be hell bent on preventing these medicines from being used.

They shouldn't be forced to endure what they do and it's obscene that the parents are forced to travel abroad to try and source it.
Agreed.

It would be very useful if an Irish politician went on a high profile attack on the Mandarins and shine a bright light into one of the darker corners of the State's activities.

petaljam

Not being a smoker or a cannabis consumer, and only a very moderate drinker, I may be missing some massive difference, but I have never understood why drugs like cannabis are treated as though they were so hugely dangerous they have to be illegal, while cigarettes and indeed alcohol are basically made available everywhere, despite the lip service paid to reducing consumption.

aldiper

Not being a smoker or a cannabis consumer, and only a very moderate drinker, I may be missing some massive difference, but I have never understood why drugs like cannabis are treated as though they were so hugely dangerous they have to be illegal, while cigarettes and indeed alcohol are basically made available everywhere, despite the lip service paid to reducing consumption.
It's "Reefer Madness" petaljam, pure and simple

The politics and sociology of the "War on Drugs"* is fascinating, no doubt, and much of the public perception of cannabis in the 20th century was driven by American lies.

Harry Anslinger has a lot to answer for – nice article here on prohbtd.com.

I recall fondly the howls of outrage from my contemporaries in Ireland, when I asserted that someone altering their minds/becoming intoxicated with cannabis is no different from someone becoming drunk.

"But cannabis is a drug." was the frequent (and hilarious) response.

People have some weird ways of categorising things..

*Really a "War on People"

soubresauts

They aren't exceptional. There are a huge number of people who would benefit from cannabis derived treatments.

The problem lies somewhere in the deepest bowels of the Public Service who seem to be hell bent on preventing these medicines from being used.

... It would be very useful if an Irish politician went on a high profile attack on the Mandarins and shine a bright light into one of the darker corners of the State's activities.
Sure. And the last people to do that would be the Irish Greens.

SPN

Sure. And the last people to do that would be the Irish Greens.
I don't care who does it as long as it gets done.

This was a niche issue whenever the Greens were in Government and the Mandarins were able to push back (through Mary Harney).

Now there is a huge public awareness, and media interest in the subject, so there is an opportunity for a politician or political party to get stuck into making it happen.

michael-mcivor

Epileptic boy who had medicinal cannabis confiscated is 'in life threatening condition' | Daily Mail Online

Apparently the Home Office is "considering" releasing the oil for him. Shocking that the family had to go through all this when it's clear it's for medicinal use only.
the Home Secretary has now allowed this child to get his cannabis oil- it’s taken the Brits a few days to become sane over this issue after they took that medicine off billy- hope it’s not to late but Brits usually come to late to be sensible-

Bill

Independent reporting it has been returned.
Got it for my dad when he was ill, didn't seem to do much good.

neiphin

Did it do any harm?

petaljam

Oh I'm sceptical that it's any sort of miracle cure, but there do seem to be some people for whom everything else has failed to work, and for those people it just may be a possible solution that shouldn't be ruled out in advance for purely ideological reasons.

Levellers

Sinn Féin MP Órfhlaith Begley has welcomed confirmation that the British Home Office has finally agreed to return Billy Caldwell’s cannabis oil medication.

The 12-year-old from Castlederg is currently hospitalised in London and the West Tyrone MP described the Home Office decision as ‘life-saving’.

“Billy should never have been put in that position. The treatment was clearly working for him and he deteriorated badly once it ended, yet it still took intense lobbying to get the Home Office to reverse this cruel decision.

“I have been working with Billy’s mother Charlotte for several weeks to try and find a solution so we are all delighted and relieved that I have today received confirmation from the Home Office that they have finally relented and agreed to allow Billy to have his medication after accepting the recommendation of medical professionals that cannabis oil was appropriate in his case.

“I thank all those who have supported Billy and his family throughout this difficult time. This is a life-saving intervention for Billy and he can now concentrate on his recovery and hopefully being discharged from hospital in the near future.

“I will continue to engage with the Home Office and the health authorities to ensure he can access his medication in the longer term so there is no repeat of the trauma he has suffered over recent weeks.”

stopdoingstuff

Oh I'm sceptical that it's any sort of miracle cure, but there do seem to be some people for whom everything else has failed to work, and for those people it just may be a possible solution that shouldn't be ruled out in advance for purely ideological reasons.
Exactly, and if the rest of us want to experiment on behalf of prospective future beneficiaries it is only because of pure philanthropy. Any do-gooder can go and do a mini-marathon for some medical charity or other but it takes a special kind of humanism to smoke for others.

SPN

It isn't a miracle cure, and I don't think any advocates are claiming it is.

But it does have significant benefits for certain patients with certain illnesses.

Focus on Medicinal Marijuana: Obtaining intellectual property rights for new medicinal cannabis vari | Davies Collison Cave Australia

aldiper

If you're interested, over here in the UK (and world-wide) there are several classes of medicines "ruled out in advance for purely ideological reasons", the Schedule 1 Controlled Drugs.

The list includes cannabis, as well as LSD, psilocybin and MDMA. Those last few have shown promise in the treatment of (variously) depression, cluster headaches and PTSD, but research is hampered by their legal status, and stigma.

It is a pity, really, given all we could be learning from them.

aldiper

It isn't a miracle cure, and I don't think any advocates are claiming it is.

But it does have significant benefits for certain patients with certain illnesses.

Focus on Medicinal Marijuana: Obtaining intellectual property rights for new medicinal cannabis vari | Davies Collison Cave Australia
Indeed. The real damage that these idiotic restrictions have had, is not so much stopping people benefiting from consuming cannabis directly – and it does benefit some people with pain/low appetite/nausea – but from stopping researchers developing better treatments using compounds isolated from, or inspired by, cannabis (which contains a lot of compounds).

Monsieur Gerhardt would never have created aspirin, if willow leaves were outlawed...

soubresauts

I don't care who does it as long as it gets done.

This was a niche issue whenever the Greens were in Government and the Mandarins were able to push back (through Mary Harney)...
Push back? Huh? The mandarins didn't need to push back because the Greens weren't pushing for any health issues. Did you not notice that they were following the FF programme for government? Did you not agree to that PfG?

Did the Greens do anything to put the wind up Big Pharma?

New Threads

Most Replies