Medieval Dubai not a safe place for Westerners?

silverharp

Scottish Man arrested in Dubai for bumping into another man and not allowed leave Dubai. His life is in ruins, job lost, in debt. Why would anyone go to the kip? I dont think I'd even want to change flight there. Dubai should be on list of countries not safe to visit, it might put pressure on them to change their laws

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/1399453-family-of-man-detained-in-dubai-for-indecency-speak-out/

he parents of a man facing a three-year jail sentence in Dubai for touching another man's hip at a bar have spoken out about their ordeal.

Jamie Harron's mother Patricia has told of being unable to sleep due to being "up all night worrying".

Mr Harron, 27, from Stirling, claims he only touched the man in the bar three months ago so they did not "bump and spill drinks".

According to campaign group Detained in Dubai, Mr Harron had expected to be arrested at a hearing on Sunday for failing to appear at a previous court date, which the group claimed was moved without notification.

However, the electrician was not arrested but was told to remain in the city for future court hearings.

The ordeal has left him stuck in the emirate for three months facing jail, jobless and in huge amounts of debt.

Mr Harron's father Graham says his son has "never been a problem" and before this was "never in trouble".

Trainwreck

Why the fúck would anyone go there? A barbaric culture, with a cynical commercial façade designed to make money.

The_SR

Much as this case stinks, queue the ban the Burka brigade double standards. 'They' should obey out rules but we aren't bound by theirs.

silverharp

Much as this case stinks, queue the ban the Burka brigade double standards. 'They' should obey out rules but we aren't bound by theirs.
not relevant ,the point is it it selling itself as a cool place to visit, you see Ethiad adverts etc. I'd like to see the information leaflet that says dont bump into someone

Trainwreck

They can do what they like as far as I am concerned. But I will criticise them.

I actually refuse to hub through Dubai or Abu Dhabi when flying to the far east.

shoneen

Lived there 20 years ago. You had to really watch yourself dealing with Nationals (locals) as the police cane down on their side every time no matter what the facts.

Trainwreck

Lived there 20 years ago. You had to really watch yourself dealing with Nationals (locals) as the police cane down on their side every time no matter what the facts.
Merc will be along soon to explain that this was because you are racist.

The_SR

not relevant ,the point is it it selling itself as a cool place to visit, you see Ethiad adverts etc. I'd like to see the information leaflet that says dont bump into someone
Not disagreeing with you. But its their country, their rules is it not?

silverharp

Not disagreeing with you. But its their country, their rules is it not?
its true for any country, it adds no meaningful information

hollandia

Dubai is perfectly safe, and in many ways much safer than most European countries. Just stick to the rules, avoid doing stupid stuff and you'll be grand.

silverharp

Dubai is perfectly safe, and in many ways much safer than most European countries. Just stick to the rules, avoid doing stupid stuff and you'll be grand.
like bumping into someone

hollandia

I'd be very surprised if that was all there was to it. I've actually worked there. But sure yadda yadda yadda muslamics, blah blah blah burqa something something mediaeval...

che schifo

or sharing a hotel room with your girlfriend. Or having alcohol in your system after drinking legally in a licensed bar. Maybe unlikely to be arrested for either, but you can be if you draw attention to yourself, which presumably this chap did somehow.

Trainwreck

I'd be very surprised if that was all there was to it. I've actually worked there. But sure yadda yadda yadda muslamics, blah blah blah burqa something something mediaeval...
Yeah, it wouldn't happen in Ireland, so only a RACIST! would suggest there is some deplorable cultural factors at work:

Tourist couple arrested in Abu Dhabi for sex before marriage after police discover woman is pregnant - Mirror Online

A tourist couple visiting Abu Dhabi have allegedly been arrested for having sex before marriage after a doctor informed police the woman was pregnant .

Iryna Nohai, 27, and Emlyn Culverwell, 29, were enjoying their sunny break when Iryna started experiencing stomach cramps.

Emlyn, originally from South Africa, took his Ukranian fiancé to a local hospital where a doctor examined her before discovering she was pregnant.

As Iryna lay in her hospital bed, the doctor is said to have notified the authorities she was pregnant and the couple were unmarried.

silverharp

so only people that have done stupid stuff have been arrested ? just don't report that you have been raped :rolleyes:

British woman who says she was gang raped arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges in Dubai as attackers go free | The Independent

A British tourist has been arrested and charged with illegal “extra-marital sex” in Dubai after telling police she had been gang raped.

The 25-year-old woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was on holiday in the United Arab Emirates when she was allegedly attacked by two British men last month.

When she reported the rape at a police station, she was allegedly arrested for breaking Emirati laws against extra-marital sex, while her attackers have since flown home to the UK.

Trainwreck

Exactly. Stick to the rules. Like you expect foreigners to do here. Friends of mine got married so they could work there.
Exactly, if you want to go to a place with rules and culture as sick as that, then go for it.

Just don't come here defending the sick culture and rules. OK?

New Threads

Most Replies