• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Meet Intreo: a mongrel word rebranding costing €7 million

He3

There may be value for money here but I can't see it straight away.

"The introduction of the ‘Intreo’ brand is estimated by the Department of Social Protection to cost between €6m and €7m and will be completed by Dec 2014.

The first 11 of the 60 social welfare offices country-wide had new signage erected in recent weeks at a cost of €54,615.

A spokesperson for the department said the name ‘Intreo’ was derived from both the abbreviation of the word introduction and treo — the Irish for direction..... "

Social welfare rebrand to cost

Story by Kate Heaney at the Irish Examiner.

Last edited:

firefly123

Ah Jaysus. I've changed my mind. There definitely should be compulsory redundancies in the public service starting immediately!

Prester Jim

Jesus H Christ! This could have kept most of the mobility allowance going.
Consultants of the management and pr type should be eradicated from the PS payroll simple as that. If it wasn't one of them who came up with this pointless waste of vital money, whichever idiot politician or CS mandarin trying to make a name for themselves who did should be publicly named, shamed then fired.
We are cutting services to the most vulnerable and chopping salaries and the squander borrowed cash on this?!

grumpydunphy

Here's the best value for money 'INTRO' I can readily recall........and no need for *essential* cutbacks elsewhere! Win Win!!! petunia

[video=youtube;lYNHjmnlZbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYNHjmnlZbA[/video]

Didimus

Jesus H Christ! This could have kept most of the mobility allowance going.
Consultants of the management and pr type should be eradicated from the PS payroll simple as that. If it wasn't one of them who came up with this pointless waste of vital money, whichever idiot politician or CS mandarin trying to make a name for themselves who did should be publicly named, shamed then fired.
We are cutting services to the most vulnerable and chopping salaries and the squander borrowed cash on this?!
The money for the mobility allowance is still there. The couple of hundred million or so that would be needed to meet the claims of those who would qualify under the equality ruling is the problem.

cabledude

There may be value for money here but I can't see it straight away.

"The introduction of the ‘Intreo’ brand is estimated by the Department of Social Protection to cost between €6m and €7m and will be completed by Dec 2014.

The first 11 of the 60 social welfare offices country-wide had new signage erected in recent weeks at a cost of €54,615.

A spokesperson for the department said the name ‘Intreo’ was derived from both the abbreviation of the word introduction and treo — the Irish for direction..... "

Social welfare rebrand to cost
This really is hard to believe. €7 million on new signage. Will this money help one single obtain employment. No. This is just another example of way the civil servants in this country spend money we do not have. Spend the money creating jobs or building a factory. €7 on new signs. Jesus wept.

dizillusioned

This is rediculous. I always love this rubbish. Anyone knows when you change the name of a business it costs money. Department of Social Welfare is a massive organisation. First of all why does it need a new name, secondly why spend money at a time like this?

7 million is ahuge amount of money. But in terms of the size of the organisation small. The issue is fine if there is money in the pot to do this, but at this time of "austerity" and cutting back, one seriously has to wonder what FOOL decided to do this. I also like the little comparison piece at the base which "justifies" the spend...

'orebel

Ah Jaysus. I've changed my mind. There definitely should be compulsory redundancies in the public service starting immediately!
Unless you know of a way of extracting tea and semi-masticated toast from a keyboard, you owe me a new one.

tigerben

And new signage is going to a difference to all those unemployed? No matter what fancy name they put over the door, it's always going to be call the dole office.

Papillon

I really hope this stimulus package for the signage industry is part a cunning economic recovery strategy. They have their doubters but let's give Ireland's economic 'brain trust' of three teachers and trade unionist a bit of space here.

frequency

You can be 100% sure that this €7 million will go straight into the pockets of some typically overpriced private media consultancy firm (the employees of which most likely view themselves as true wealth creators).

The next step will be subcontracting the welfare services themselves - debit cards (with the fees going to MBNA, AIB, etc., ) to be issued and staff hired privately.

Boy M5

To quote a famous Blueshirt:
"a thundering disgrace"

Didimus

This really is hard to believe. €7 million on new signage. Will this money help one single obtain employment. No. This is just another example of way the civil servants in this country spend money we do not have. Spend the money creating jobs or building a factory. €7 on new signs. Jesus wept.
11 centres got new signs at just over €5000 each. 60 are not going to cost €7m

Prester Jim

The money for the mobility allowance is still there. The couple of hundred million or so that would be needed to meet the claims of those who would qualify under the equality ruling is the problem.
That much? Nasty big lump of cash.
Either way €7,000,000 could have paid for a lot of services to be kept going such as the youth and community intiatives being shut down or having double figure funding cuts applied.
This kind if initiative is silly in the best of times, now in the middle of a deep recession it is not far off Marie-Antoinette type excess.

The first and deepest cuts to all the public services at the very beginning of the recession should have been to eliminate all PR and marketing consultants from the payroll. There has to be a very real need before they (marketing consultants( should be hired and they should be fired immediately after and PR should be banned 100%.
We are basically paying our tax money to improve the govt. ability to manipulate us and lie to us, the people they should be answerable to.

BrightDay

Is the new name a ploy to confuse foreigners coming here for our "generous" social welfare payments.

grumpydunphy

I have an idea.......as I believe INTREO, with an e thrown into the mix (and not on a toilet cistern might I add!) will only serve to confuse mny in dis txt gen.

How about a shiny brand new title, as gaeilge, evoking our heritage, our identity as well as embracing the co-operation of our European paymasters.

Ladies and Gentlemen, at a cost well less than €7m of your borrowed uber euro, I present to thee.....

AnCo

To make it sound plausible, I am suggesting we run with the official mouthful of a label: An Chomhairle Oiliúna

petunia

Didimus

The fees for the privately contracted media and design consultancy is what will make up the bulk of the cost.
Or maybe the story conflates the cost of rebranding with the overall cost of amalgamating different agencies.
And maybe that amalgamation will itself lead to cost savings to offset the 7m?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies