Meeting on Southside Bus Lane this evening.

Trampas

Do you mean they could claim some sort of title to the common roadspace, under adverse possession or squatter's rights or whatever? I'd certainly like to see that one tried in a court of law.

Land law is far more complex than "squatter's rights". In any event rights may have been established over time. I would like to see that one tested in court myself.

Trampas

No such right exists in law.

I said "may". This one will run and run. It isn't at all like the situation in Dublin where bus lanes tend to run on already established dual carriageways where no parking took place away.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I said "may". This one will run and run. It isn't at all like the situation in Dublin where bus lanes tend to run on already established dual carriageways where no parking took place away.
This isn't true either, there are several bus lanes in Dublin that were established on streets where people used to park. In one case that I know of (The Old Cabra Road) most of the houses didn't have gardens that could be used for parking.

joemomma

How many dual carriageways do you think we have in Dublin? This exact situation has already played out in many locations across the city.

joemomma

Land law is far more complex than "squatter's rights". In any event rights may have been established over time. I would like to see that one tested in court myself.
Well, if such a court challenge were to succeed (and I'm not aware of any legal basis on which it could), then it would represent an enclosure of the commons, and revolution would be the only appropriate response.

Limerick Lad

This proposed bus lane is using a multimillion euro sledgehammer to crack a nut, there is perhaps a forty/fifty minute congestion problem with a build up of traffic in the morning caused mainly by a combination of too many traffic lights on a short stretch of road and children being dropped off to school, for the other twenty three hours of the day traffic flows extremely well.
With approximately ten left turns and five sets of traffic lights on this short stretch of road the bus lane's effectiveness has to be questioned

williewatch

This proposed bus lane is using a multimillion euro sledgehammer to crack a nut, there is perhaps a forty/fifty minute congestion problem with a build up of traffic in the morning caused mainly by a combination of too many traffic lights on a short stretch of road and children being dropped off to school, for the other twenty three hours of the day traffic flows extremely well.
With approximately ten left turns and five sets of traffic lights on this short stretch of road the bus lane's effectiveness has to be questioned
So, who originally came up with the bus lane plan? Politicians? Time servers in city hall?

Keith-M

Website
This isn't true either the problem can be just as bad in the evening between 4.30 and 6.30.

The bus routes in question are (by far) the most frequent in the city and based on the number of buses on the route probably take over a third of bus passengers in the city.
It is a ridiculous situation if a handful of people can interfere with the rights of thousands of others to an efficient public transport system.

Where's Gormley (who was educated in Limerick) when you actually need him?

Last edited:

Limerick Lad

This isn't true either the problem can be just as bad in the evening between 4.30 and 6.30.

The bus routes in question are (by far) the most frequent in the city and based on the number of buses on he route probably take over a third of bus passengers in the city.
It is a ridiculous situation if a handful of people can interfere with the rights of thousands of others to an efficient public transport system.

Where's Gormley (who was educated in Limerick) when you actually need him?
The 4.30-6.30pm congestion problem is outward from the city centre aggravated mainly by the traffic lights at Punches Cross and won't be helped in the slightest by the current bus lane proposal, traffic from Ballinacurra to Punches Cross in particular flows very freely for most of the day with a slight blip in the morning.

Limerick Lad

So, who originally came up with the bus lane plan? Politicians? Time servers in city hall?
At the moment this proposal would appear to be being driven forward by a here today gone tomorrow city manager whose main concern is to spend money that has been allocated for an ill conceived project rather than admit that the plan is flawed and needs to be reconsidered.

Keith-M

Website
The 4.30-6.30pm congestion problem is outward from the city centre aggravated mainly by the traffic lights at Punches Cross and won't be helped in the slightest by the current bus lane proposal, traffic from Ballinacurra to Punches Cross in particular flows very freely for most of the day with a slight blip in the morning.
The evening congestion goes both ways but I agree that it is worse going out of the city. Punches Cross has become a complete logjam as more traffic is now coming into the city off the bypass and through Greenfields, ending up a PC.

The bus lane doesn't have to be a 24 hour thing, if it operated from 7 to 10 in the morning and 4 to 7 in the evening it would make a huge difference to thousands of people.

Limerick Lad

The evening congestion goes both ways but I agree that it is worse going out of the city. Punches Cross has become a complete logjam as more traffic is now coming into the city off the bypass and through Greenfields, ending up a PC.

The bus lane doesn't have to be a 24 hour thing, if it operated from 7 to 10 in the morning and 4 to 7 in the evening it would make a huge difference to thousands of people.
The problem for motorists attempting to cross into the New Street or turn right into O'Connell Avenue from Greenfields will still be there even if this bus lane proposal goes ahead.
I disagree with you about incoming traffic in the evening, I live on the South Circular Road and there is never a problem with oncoming traffic on my journey home from town in the evening but it is often at a standstill outward.
The proposed bus lane will AFIK lead to a 24 hour ban on parking along the route, the city manager seems unwilling to bend in the slightest to accommodate the residents of Ballinacurra and O'Connell Avenue even to allow the bus lane to operate at peak times only.

Treatyboy

Could someone remind the Mayor that she is Mayor of Limerick and not Mayor of the golden road that she resides and protects. It is absolutely ridicilous that Cll'r are opposed to this. Although nothing suprises me with FG at local level in Limerick.

Keith-M

Website
The problem for motorists attempting to cross into the New Street or turn right into O'Connell Avenue from Greenfields will still be there even if this bus lane proposal goes ahead.
Agreed, that's why the whole "send the bus lane down Childers Road and onto Hyde Road" is a non starter, the volume of traffic coming through Greenfieelds has made that junction a bottleneck.

The bus lane can only solve one problem (getting pople into the city from the Raheen side), but that is a huge prroblem.

I disagree with you about incoming traffic in the evening, I live on the South Circular Road and there is never a problem with oncoming traffic on my journey home from town in the evening but it is often at a standstill outward.
The major problem in the evening is on the Childers Road/Ballinacura Road, Punches Cross and from The Mount to the moument, which you're probably not seeing.

The proposed bus lane will AFIK lead to a 24 hour ban on parking along the route, the city manager seems unwilling to bend in the slightest to accommodate the residents of Ballinacurra and O'Connell Avenue even to allow the bus lane to operate at peak times only.
Then there's an obvious compromise. The bus lane doesn't need to operate at night. Leave the residents with on street parking from 7pm to 7am and have a 12 hour bus lane.

Last edited:

Limerick Lad

The major problem in the evening is on the Childers Road/Ballinacura Road, Punches Cross and from The Mount to the monument, which you're probably not seeing.
If you study the traffic light pattern at Punches Cross, they don't allow any special consideration for cars traveling from the city centre turning right into New Street because of the light flow of oncoming traffic travelling into town, whereas they do include consideration in the cycle for inward traveling cars wanting to turn right at Punches Cross, obviously traffic management having studied the traffic pattern didn't deem it necessary due to the light flow of traffic.

I do travel past the O'Connell monument towards the Model school passing the Mount and have never seen any problem on the opposite side of the road for those journeying into town, the first major hold up they hit is the tailback created at the traffic lights at Mallow Street by traffic coming up O'Connell Street merging with the traffic from O'Connell Avenue and attempting to cross each other to get into the correct lane depending on their destination.

Limerick Lad

Could someone remind the Mayor that she is Mayor of Limerick and not Mayor of the golden road that she resides and protects. It is absolutely ridicilous that Cll'r are opposed to this. Although nothing suprises me with FG at local level in Limerick.
If you want to be pedantic about it, the Mayor of Limerick has no function or responsibility beyond the edge of Ballincurra, those residing beyond the City boundary come under the auspices of Limerick County Council whereas those living in Ballinacurra and O'Connell Avenue are not only the current Mayor's constituents but also citizens of Limerick City.

Treatyboy

If you want to be pedantic about it, the Mayor of Limerick has no function or responsibility beyond the edge of Ballincurra, those residing beyond the City boundary come under the auspices of Limerick County Council whereas those living in Ballinacurra and O'Connell Avenue are not only the current Mayor's constituents but also citizens of Limerick City.
Pedantic!!! Are you say that because she is Mayor of Limerick it is a minor detail!!! :shock2:

Fact is that this bus service could potentially bring more people into the City which is badly needed. Also it will bring investment as well as jobs into Limerick.

FG already voted against reduction in rates and now this!!! Do they actually care about business in the City?

tbibby

The proposed bus lane is on the outbound side approaching Punch's Cross, so it will help congestion in the evening.

We've put up the drawings on the Get Limerick moving website if you're interested: Detailed drawings of the proposed bus lanes Get Limerick Moving

I appreciate there is mixed views on this issue, but I would urge everyone, whatever their views, to call the councillors in Limerick City and make your views known. List of mobile numbers here: Help the Campaign Get Limerick Moving

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies