• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Men as 'head of family' on minimum wage ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

Is it possible for a man to be the functioning 'head of a family' while earning minimum wage ? With a 'stay at home' partner who minds the kids fulltime. Regardless on whether they are married or not. Is this a viable option in our society or has our economy/welfare/legal system made it a virtual impossibility ? By 'head of family' we may understand this as equals in a partnership of 2 equal adult parents.

History is full of impoverished and poor families that do not question the orthodoxy of having only one male breadwinner supporting his own kids. What about now ? Is the woman better off being officially single and seeing the father of her kids for just a few hours a week ? Or pretending to see him just a few hours per week when he really is living full time at her address ?

How well is the institution of the family surviving the economic downturn ? Answers please, especially from anybody earning minimum wage or from women with a father of their kids who earns minimum wage. As usual, please keep responses polite and respectful at all times.
Head of Household legal definition of Head of Household. Head of Household synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Head Of Household Definition | Investopedia

Last edited:

The answer is Yes and it has to be.....

The assumption seems to be that because someone starts on minimum wage then they are automatically on it for life rather than it being a short term floor.

This is a fallacy rather than it being a starting point where through experience of work, training and opportunities that persons moves either through the organisation they are in or into another organisation.

It is then their work experience (relevant or not), their punctuality etc gets taken into consideration in setting a wage for a different job.

If a person still continues to be on minimum wage after a couple of years then you question whether they are actually doing anything to move themselves off it.

Cellach

There would be quite a few households these days where the female is the breadwinner I'd be willing to wager.

Tea Party Patriot

There would be quite a few households these days where the female is the breadwinner I'd be willing to wager.
I'd say you would be close to the mark there in a lot of cases, particularly as a lot of women gravitate to reasonably well paid state jobs such as teaching, nursing, medicine, and the civil service.

Tea Shark

personally I don't believe in the definition of the head of household

in fact I think any family who label someone as head of a household defined by financial imput are backward
Agreed - the whole idea of "head of the house" is backward.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Agreed - the whole idea of "head of the house" is backward.
ok, lets say as a very minimum 'can a man on minimum wage be a 'joint equal' of the lady of the house ? Or has the working class male been consigned to the dustbin of family history ?

Deep Blue

personally I don't believe in the definition of the head of household

in fact I think any family who label someone as head of a household defined by financial imput are backward
Indeed.

Equal status how are you.

Thought the days of "Is the Boss in" were long gone

Plebian

ok, lets say as a very minimum 'can a man on minimum wage be a 'joint equal' of the lady of the house ? Or has the working class male been consigned to the dustbin of family history ?
He can, he can also get Family Income Supplement to beef up his bringing home the bacon credentials. As for being consigned to the bin of history, let's just say the male head of the family is an anachronism but the working class itself is likely to see a rapid expansion in its membership, although they mightn't technically all be working.

potholedogger

With University places going 60/ 40 in favour of women the economic power of men is in decline!

Roll_On

No, I don't see how it is possible. A 40 hour week on minimum wage gets you €346 p/w or €1384. This is not sufficient for rent/mortgage and food.

I would suggest that people considering starting a family get themselves some job security first

Roll_On

With University places going 60/ 40 in favour of women the economic power of men is in decline!
yeah but women are less career driven in general. Many women will work for a few years then, just take 9 months off for maternity, take a few dayss here and there for the kids ect. Not much opportunity for back stabbing ladder climbing there.

Lain2016

em... You won't get RA if you work more than 30hrs per week.
Society is fukked up.

Why should stupid thieving politicians take €120,000+ from the taxpayer while families have to live on €350...all families should be on the AIW and work would be alloted...full employment.

Do we just run the country for the rich :confused:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies