Men who have sex with men but who don't call themselves gay/bisexual.

Wascurito

Every survey of male sexual habits reveals a certain cohort of men who have sex with other men but who don't think they are either homosexual or bisexual.

In the most recent survey in Ireland, they amounted to 9% of the total engaging in same sex activity. This apparently is a fair bit below the European average where - seemingly - there is a larger proportion of men having sex with other men who refuse to self-identify as gay or bisexual.

"They don’t have a definition and they don’t have a name. They consider themselves to be heterosexual men who have sex with men occasionally. They don’t even consider themselves bisexual. Why that is is for researchers to go with it and find that out", says Gay Health Network (GHN) spokesman Niall Cowley.

Does anyone know any of these men? They're of concern to professionals since they might be missing out on necessary information and services and may not have the knowledge to take the necessary precautions.

Northsideman

Politicians are like this, they fuk everyone but won't admit it.

Niall996

Every survey of male sexual habits reveals a certain cohort of men who have sex with other men but who don't think they are either homosexual or bisexual.

In the most recent survey in Ireland, they amounted to 9% of the total engaging in same sex activity. This apparently is a fair bit below the European average where - seemingly - there is a larger proportion of men having sex with other men who refuse to self-identify as gay or bisexual.

"They don’t have a definition and they don’t have a name. They consider themselves to be heterosexual men who have sex with men occasionally. They don’t even consider themselves bisexual. Why that is is for researchers to go with it and find that out", says Gay Health Network (GHN) spokesman Niall Cowley.

Does anyone know any of these men? They're of concern to professionals since they might be missing out on necessary information and services and may not have the knowledge to take the necessary precautions.
You mean men like Mick Jagger?

Dame_Enda

I met 2 such men years ago. One of them was very religious which may be his reasoning. The other was not overtly religious but had a longterm girlfriend so I am not sure what his reasoning was (edit: now that I remember it - with him it began with tg "women" and moved on to men but he still preferred women and only rarely saw men). What both had in common is that you wouldnt be able to detect they were into men stereotypically speaking if you were just talking to them.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

The necessary precautions against what?

This isn't a new thing. In ancient Rome the important thing with repect to men and their sexual behaviour was whether you were a giver or a receiver.

If you penetrated your sexual partner (and were defined as a giver) then you were a "manly man". This was regardless of whether you were penetrating a woman, another man, or a child of either sex. You were doing it to your sexual partner, so you were the dominant one, and thus a manly man.

In bed with the Romans: a brief history of sex in Ancient Rome | History Extra

"Moreover, the silent, compliant and subservient wife was expected to turn a blind eye to her husband’s sexual infelicities, while the man could philander as much as he liked so long as the mistress was unmarried, or, if with a boy, he was over a certain age.

Brothels, prostitutes and dancing girls were considered ‘fair game’, as were older males – with the one crucial proviso that it was you who did the penetrating.

Being passive and being penetrated was considered women’s work: men who submitted were considered deficient in vir and in virtus (virtue): they were denounced and reviled as effeminate."

Wascurito

I met 2 such men years ago. One of them was very religious which may be his reasoning. The other was not overtly religious but had a longterm girlfriend so I am not sure what his reasoning was.
A friend of mine had a relationship with a guy like that a few years ago. He was a devout Catholic but got his sh@g every weekend. It didn't last long because he was so far into the closet, he was practically in Narnia. Not in a million years would he take part in any sort of survey.

These are guys who take part in a survey, admit they're having sex with other guys but won't self-identify as G or B.

Dame_Enda

A friend of mine had a relationship with a guy like that a few years ago. He was a devout Catholic but got his sh@g every weekend. It didn't last long because he was so far into the closet, he was practically in Narnia. Not in a million years would he take part in any sort of survey.

These are guys who take part in a survey, admit they're having sex with other guys but won't self-identify as G or B.
I got the impression one of them was very concerned what his late mother would have thought. When I raised that subject he got very snappy.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Well they are gay or bi there's no escaping that fact.
Perhaps not.

In ancient Rome it was all about the power associated with penetrating.

Manly men did the penetrating, and it didn't matter who they were penetrating. A woman, another man or a child. The choice of partner was irrelevant to them - it was about the power involved.

NYCKY

Doesn't that kind of answer your own question in the OP?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies