Met Éireann recognizes Partition - Ireland split in 2!

Catalpast

I know its late and my eyes are tired but it looks like one of the last bastions of Old Ireland has fallen to the onslaught of PC correctness

Up to now the metrological service has viewed the Island as [correctly] One Country

But they now have given their site a 'makeover' and this hideous visage presented itself:

https://www.met.ie

Who is responsible for this horrible mess

- and why did they do it?

Ireland is an island with its own weather systems

- and has always been seen as such

- but perhaps the powers that be have put their fingers in the air

- and sensed which way the wind blows.......:|

Last edited:

Mick Mac

Well done eircom for challenging the older, dominant ways of thinking and opening itself up to the idea that Ireland is a plural, shared space containing communities rather than a nation.

Well done

jmcc

Well done eircom for challenging the older, dominant ways of thinking and opening itself up to the idea that Ireland is a plural, shared space containing communities rather than a nation.

Well done
Eh? I think you have the wrong number.

former wesleyan

They're only following the BBC's example.

John Scotus

They've been doing this sort of thing for some time.

You'd often hear forecasts referring to Munster, Leinster and Connacht while giving very specific mention to the smallish counties of Monaghan and Cavan. It took me while to realise that those two counties didn't have their own microclimate

Orbit v2

I think they've been adding bits to it since it was launched (yesterday)? The one thing I used go straight to was the 5-day rain forecast. Now, they have a more detailed (hour by hour) 7 day forecast. That's pretty impressive.

John Scotus

I think they've been adding bits to it since it was launched (yesterday)? The one thing I used go straight to was the 5-day rain forecast. Now, they have a more detailed (hour by hour) 7 day forecast. That's pretty impressive.
But the seem to have gotten rid of the short range forecast, the one that gave the next 12 hours or so.

I found that to be uncannily accurate, probably the most useful item on their site and much easier to use that the 7 day thing they have up now.

Hopefully they just haven't got around to adding it yet

Orbit v2

But the seem to have gotten rid of the short range forecast, the one that gave the next 12 hours or so.

I found that to be uncannily accurate, probably the most useful item on their site and much easier to use that the 7 day thing they have up now.

Hopefully they just haven't got around to adding it yet
But that seven day one, is hour by hour, which is what the short-range one gave you. What's missing is the same for temperature, wind etc. and hopefully they add that in.

Vega1447

But that seven day one, is hour by hour, which is what the short-range one gave you. What's missing is the same for temperature, wind etc. and hopefully they add that in.
Fishermen, boaters etc will not be happy that Atlantic charts and all "synoptic" charts have been dropped.

Met É have prettied themselves up while dumbing themselves down..

'orebel

The new app is shockingly bad.

Slow, clunky and ugly. Looks like it was made by a primary school student.

Catalpast

Well done
Hit it on the nail there!

More political/cultural programming to de Nationalise Ireland & the Irish .....:|

Vega1447

The new app is shockingly bad.

Slow, clunky and ugly. Looks like it was made by a primary school student.
Yes - very very slow.

They shouldn't have released it till they sorted out the bugs but hey ... it's only the National Weather service.

Orbit v2

Fishermen, boaters etc will not be happy that Atlantic charts and all "synoptic" charts have been dropped.

Met É have prettied themselves up while dumbing themselves down..
I hope not. Wouldn't be acceptable to degrade the level of information that they previously supplied, purely with prettying up as justification.

The 7 day forecast seems to have disappeared. It sounds like they are tinkering with it a lot and it's not ready for show time. There are a lot of problems with it. Too numerous to list here.

Last edited:

Mick Mac

Hit it on the nail there!

More political/cultural programming to de Nationalise Ireland & the Irish .....:|
You might call it a partitionist mindset but I call it not being forced to adhere to old shibboleths about nations and borders.

It's 2018 man. You sound like a shinner from 5 years ago.

Catalpast

You might call it a partitionist mindset but I call it not being forced to adhere to old shibboleths about nations and borders.

It's 2018 man. You sound like a shinner from 5 years ago.
The Shinners Sold Out.....

Mick Mac

The Shinners Sold Out.....
No they didn't. They just choose to interpret republicanism in a way that meant their entire struggle could be labeled as regressive, populist in the negative sense, and out dated.

That they decided to ride both horses isn't a sign of selling out. It's a sign of not really knowing how to express republicanism to a new audience. Hint: it's not by being all things to all groups and challenging "privilege"; it's about rallying all people to a higher cause to make life better in this country.

You can't cherry pick an approach. They are both nationalist and yet talk as if nationalism is evil. They define ireland by the nation yet talk as if the nation is an antiquated artefact.

Utterly, utterly confused but bit yet sell outs is how I see it.

By the by I don't regard this as in any way being about the GFA though some might think it is.

macedo

New site is very slow to load but I'm sure they'll sort that out.

I like the hour-by-hour forecast. It was one thing missing from old version that made me look for other weather sites.

As for who is responsible for the partitionist design...? That's easy, it's the 1916 leaders who made partition inevitable (it was merely highly likely until then) by deciding that war-war was an easier option than jaw-jaw.

GDPR

I know its late and my eyes are tired but it looks like one of the last bastions of Old Ireland has fallen to the onslaught of PC correctness

Up to now the metrological service has viewed the Island as [correctly] One Country

But they now have given their site a 'makeover' and this hideous visage presented itself:

Who is responsible for this horrible mess

- and why did they do it?

Ireland is an island with its own weather systems

- and has always been seen as such

- but perhaps the powers that be have put their fingers in the air

- and sensed which way the wind blows.......:|

The island is not one country. It's one island.

What's wrong with you southerners only being shown the weather for your country, instead of the whole island?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies