• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Meteor shower visible over Ireland this weekend.

candide2

Thanks for the advance notice. I am glad I don't have to have binoculars - they got stolen. Not too much light pollution here so there is a chance I may see something.

Chrisco

Sure can't we see a right shower every week!

myksav

Ever since I read "the Day of the Triffids", I've been very reluctant to look at meteor showers.

The Day of the Triffids - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Try having mature briars rattling in the wind after watching that as a kid. :lol:

And try watching it on a black and white tv! :eek:

break.

Saw a goodly number of meteors last night. Started about 12:30, some bigger bits (about 40 degrees of streak) about 1:30, running east to west. Managed to unstick my boots from the frost about 2:30. :D Didn't saty out for maximum activity though, too cold.

Saw some great ones out walking between half one and half two this morning, one in particular looked very big and bright, like the space shuttle when it goes over. A bit cloudier here in Cork today so will keep an eye out again tonight for gaps in the cloud...
Are we getting something similar again tonight ?

myksav

Saw some great ones out walking between half one and half two this morning, one in particular looked very big and bright, like the space shuttle when it goes over. A bit cloudier here in Cork today so will keep an eye out again tonight for gaps in the cloud...
Probably the ones I mentioned. There were two very bright ones about that time, the second a good bit brighter, and following a close track with each other.

The geminids go on for a few days before and after the peak (sometimes the real peak happens earlier or later than expected as well), though probably fewer in number. They occur virtually anywhere in the sky but keep an eye in the general direction of Gemini and Orion.
There's reports of a spectacular one this morning about 7:30-7:45 or so, didn't see that one. It was seen from just about all parts of the country.

I'm getting out my old snow boots for tonight. :)

maxthedog

Just to say I watched them my self last night around mid- night, Very impressive and thanks, for the times and dates.

rhonda15

Just to say I watched them my self last night around mid- night, Very impressive and thanks, for the times and dates.
terrible thick freezing fog last night in my area - couldn't see a blasted thing! :(

SAHM

Heard absolutely nothing about it but did see some of the goings on in the sky from my front room. Was very beautiful.

slx

I didn't realise it was happening until I spotted one in the sky while out for a walk in Cork City.

Very spectacular!

candide2

Thanks to the OP here I got to see it, from the comfort of a balcony I confess. A wonderful experience, and thanks again