Methodist Church boycotts Israel

Aspherical123

Fury as Methodists vote to boycott Israel | The Jewish Chronicle

The Board of Deputies and the Jewish Leadership Council said the Methodists’ annual conference should “hang its head in shame” for passing a policy which calls for a boycott of goods from “illegal” Israeli West Bank settlements and blames Israeli occupation as the “key hindrance” to Middle East peace.

Jonathan Arkush, senior vice-president of the Board of Deputies, who witnessed the debate in Portsmouth, said afterwards: “It is hard to see how anyone genuinely concerned with the Middle East and interfaith dialogue can take the Methodist Church seriously.”

......................What an arrogant and rude response by the Jewish leadership council.

The methodists have a history of being principled, it was they who helped campaign to abolish slavery.

Last edited:

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Good on the Methodists for disowning an Apartheid regime. 65 yrs on, it is time to stop making the Palestinians pay for a European-Holocaust.

Aspherical123

I think the response says more, its ok for the jewish leadership council to insult methodism, imagine if it was the other way around.

eoghanacht

"David King, a delegate from Lancashire and one of a number of speakers at the debate who raised Jewish concerns, noted “a rise in antisemitic activity in the UK”

Ah, the old ones are the best, turn a boycott of a nations goods into a sectarian matter.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
I think the response says more, its ok for the jewish leadership council to insult methodism, imagine if it was the other way around.
Indeed. Some Zionists believe they are above criticism being 'the Chosen People'. Hence the arrogance and the tendency of some (not all) Jews to justify the stereotype of being proxies for a foreign state.

Aspherical123

Indeed. Some Zionists believe they are above criticism being 'the Chosen People'. Hence the arrogance and the tendency of some (not all) Jews to justify the stereotype of being proxies for a foreign state.
In contrast the methodists have a history of being principled, it was they who helped campaign to abolish slavery.

johnfás

In the Methodist Church we have always sought to act in the interests of social justice. We don't always get it right, but we're committed to trying. This is the right decision. I have many friends who are Jewish - in fact there is a long history of Jewish attendance at the sole Methodist school in this state (including a former President of Israel). The Methodist Church was, at a time in Ireland's history, one of the few educating bodies who was prepared to welcome Jewish children. However, that welcome should be to all people, the motto of the Methodist Church is to be "friends of all and enemies of none". The Methodist Church is not an enemy of the State of Israel. However, it must not be seen to be tacitly or in any other way supporting the behaviour of the State of Israel which has descended from questionable, to poor, to criminal. This is a bold move by the British Conference, one which has been brewing for some time. I hope that a similar resolution will be passed at the Irish Conference next year. Let this not be spun by a lie of anti-semitism. Our leaders are more than happy, and do on all occasions, engage with peoples of all creeds in a neighbourly manner. We have done for many many years in respect of the Jewish community and will continue to do so. I only hope that the Jewish community will also see fit to say that enough is enough from the Israeli political elite.

eoghanacht

In the Methodist Church we have always sought to act in the interests of social justice. We don't always get it right, but we're committed to trying. This is the right decision. I have many friends who are Jewish - in fact there is a long history of Jewish attendance at the sole Methodist school in this state (including a former President of Israel). The Methodist Church was, at a time in Ireland's history, one of the few educating bodies who was prepared to welcome Jewish children. However, that welcome should be to all people, the motto of the Methodist Church is to be "friends of all and enemies of none". The Methodist Church is not an enemy of the State of Israel. However, it must not be seen to be tacitly or in any other way supporting the behaviour of the State of Israel which has descended from questionable, to poor, to criminal. This is a bold move by the British Conference, one which has been brewing for some time. I hope that a similar resolution will be passed at the Irish Conference next year. Let this not be spun by a lie of anti-semitism. Our leaders are more than happy, and do on all occasions, engage with peoples of all creeds in a neighbourly manner. We have done for many many years in respect of the Jewish community and will continue to do so. I only hope that the Jewish community will also see fit to say that enough is enough from the Israeli political elite.

Here, Here.

former wesleyan

Terry Eagleton referred to the spread of Methodism in the North of England as 'terrorism " !!:D

FutureTaoiseach

Website

johnfás

Rev Dr Leslie Griffiths (Also Baron Griffiths - Labour Peer) who is Superintendent of Wesley's Chapel in the City of London and a former President of the Methodist Church in Great Britain spoke wise words in his sermon last week at Wesley's Chapel in respect of the forthcoming vote.

Also available in MP3.

The Methodist Conference meets this week and one issue seems set to become highly controversial. Conference will discuss a report on Israel/Palestine. It’s a report that attempts to be even-handed but which ends up being heavily critical of the State of Israel for its various and recent policies. Coming in for criticism are such things as:

• the continuous and systematic building of settlements on occupied territory;
• the erection of the wall/barrier/fence which separates Palestinians from their Israeli neighbours and, indeed, from themselves;
• the blockade of Gaza which has gone on with such cruelty for so long;
• the military invasion of Gaza which saw thirteen hundred Palestinians killed against thirteen Israelis (the large majority of the Palestinians were civilians and innocent whilst all thirteen of the Israelis were soldiers engaged for such incidents);
• the attack on the flotilla that was heading for Gaza.

This report has roused the fury of the Jewish community in this country who blame it for being one-sided, inaccurate, compiled without adequate consultation.

I’ve been brought into this controversy by an old friend, a Jewish scholar, who thinks I can use my influence and powers of persuasion to affect the outcome of Wednesday’s debate. I don’t think they know much about the Methodist Conference or about my relationship to it!

I owe a great deal to this Jewish friend who has been my guide and mentor as I’ve sought to understand the Jewish mind. And I cherish also my memories of his father, now gone to glory (may he rest in peace) - a gentle, genial, generous rabbi, immensely learned and deeply spiritual, a man who gladly took me into his home as if I were his own son.

But I could not give even such a person much solace. It’s hard to see where present policies being implemented by the Israeli government will end. One thing’s clear to me, namely that one form of failure or another seems likely. And it’s hard to imagine what satisfaction Israelis themselves will get from living in a land that has the characteristics of a fortress or even a prison.

If there’s any truth in the stories we are hearing that suggest that we’re not all that far from engaging with the Taliban in discussions about the future of Afghanistan; and if it’s possible for the sword of ancient enmity between Ian Paisley’s Democratic Unionist Party and Gerry Adams’ and Martin McGuinness’s Sinn Fein to be beaten into the ploughshare of those beaming photographs and the power-sharing administration in Belfast, then we must surely hope and must certainly pray that one day (and soon) the Israeli leadership will find a way to talk with Hamas and Hezbollah. Until they do, there will be no prospect of peace in the Holy Land.

It’s strange to think that the story we’ve heard this morning about Jesus occurred in pretty much the identical spot where so many of the contemporary problems and hatreds are playing themselves out. Judaism is a religion centred on justice, fairness, obedience to God. The Jews are a people who glory in their special status but who know in their hearts that that status is to be expressed in service to others as, a light to lighten the Gentiles, rather than in self-aggrandisement or self-protection. The purity of essential Judaism has been corrupted. The beauty of its rose has been destroyed by the worm that flies under cover of darkness. The corruption of Judaism certainly owes a great deal to the inexcusable and continuous victimisation experienced by the Jews down the ages. But, it has to be added, that their difficulties have become more complex and challenging through the short-sighted, vicious and arrogant policies of recent Israeli governments.

If we are to avoid having to plead guilty to the charges levelled against religion by Dawkins and Hitchens, then we have surely to rediscover and reclaim the gifts of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. When religion rids itself of the disease-bearing and infectious parasite that eats at its very heart, then we may once again embrace a religion of love, live a life of peace, show mercy and forgiveness to friend and enemy alike, and welcome the alien and the stranger in to our midst as members of our extended family.
http://www.wesleyschapel.org.uk/audio/2010/Sermon 100627.MP3

former wesleyan

eoghanacht

L'Chaim

Do you have any idea what "the chosen people" is? Silly question I suppose, it's obvious you don't, because you totally misinterpret the chosen people concept. It has nothing to do with superiority or privilege and everything to do with obligation. The Jews were 'chosen' only to complete the task of teaching that there is only one God and of living according to his laws. That's what the chosen people concept is. It has nothing whatsoever to do with 'superiority' or 'privilege'.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Do you have any idea what "the chosen people" is? Silly question I suppose, it's obvious you don't, because you totally misinterpret the chosen people concept. It has nothing to do with superiority or privilege
The Zionist regime interprets it as that by its savage and wholly disproportionate slaughter of Palestinian civilians, which actually boosts Hamas recruitment by increasing the grievances that result in it.

There is no "God" anyway. Such superstition constitutes the single largest pretext for war in the history of this planet. :rolleyes:

Aspherical123

Do you have any idea what "the chosen people" is? Silly question I suppose, it's obvious you don't, because you totally misinterpret the chosen people concept. It has nothing to do with superiority or privilege and everything to do with obligation. The Jews were 'chosen' only to complete the task of teaching that there is only one God and of living according to his laws. That's what the chosen people concept is. It has nothing whatsoever to do with 'superiority' or 'privilege'.
Whats your opinion of the hate of other peoples found in the Talmud?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies