Metro North to be put on hold for at least three years in budget

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Irish Mail on Sunday is reporting that the "ambitious" Metro North railway line will be "scrapped" in the forthcoming budget

a senior Fianna Fail member has confirmed that the project, strongly backed by the Green Party, has for now at least, been thrown on the scrap heap.
The small piece reports the An Taoiseach Brian Cowen has now gone "cold" on the project which is estimated to cost EUR2.5bn.

Early last month, Labour Leader Eamon Gilmore told Marian Finucane that he thought the Metro North project should be pushed back.

bprob

common sense prevailing
can the RPA now use the time productively and produce a business case for the line?

Newsy

I imagine the greenies will eat this, with a little bit of vinegar!!!!

seanmacc

So the economy is going to be continually contracted by cuts and we are going to invest in nothing. This thing will pay for itself in the multiplier effect and it is a vital piece of infrastructure. I think we are starting to see history repeating itself. Remember the ructions that were caused by certain country TDs over the Dart?

seabhcan

So the economy is going to be continually contracted by cuts and we are going to invest in nothing. This thing will pay for itself in the multiplier effect and it is a vital piece of infrastructure. I think we are starting to see history repeating itself. Remember the ructions that were caused by certain country TDs over the Dart?
We could have 6 luas lines for the same price - and that would create far more jobs.

droghedasouth

Infrastructure investment is only worthwhile when it is a worthwhile project. The numbers just dont add up for metro north when compared to dart underground which will have twice the capacity for about the same cost.

Franzoni

common sense prevailing
can the RPA now use the time productively and produce a business case for the line?
Someone should tell them so if their wasting their time as they have been on Glasnevin Ave and the Ballymun Rd all week with their jeeps and their mapping thingimigs......

seanmacc

We could have 6 luas lines for the same price - and that would create far more jobs.
I doubt that really. Maybe with construction cost but not with the amount it would cost to acquire land. If any of these Luas lines was going to the Airport and Swords that would be all well and good but they wouldn't. If it was possible to build the Luas to Swords and the Airport I'm sure that plan would be on the table. The fact is the thing needs to go underground.

controller

The Irish Mail on Sunday is reporting that the "ambitious" Metro North railway line will be "scrapped" in the forthcoming budget
Not surprised. I heard yesterday that one of the Engineers helping with the tendering of the project for one of the consortium has moved abroad working with another company.

bprob

when there is a business case laid out which proves the values you claim, i will back it.
not beforehand

drjimryan2

hopefully the protection of benefits for the retired, even those who are millionaires, will keep michael kennedy busy enough to forget about backing this pointless folly........

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
I doubt that really. Maybe with construction cost but not with the amount it would cost to acquire land. If any of these Luas lines was going to the Airport and Swords that would be all well and good but they wouldn't. If it was possible to build the Luas to Swords and the Airport I'm sure that plan would be on the table. The fact is the thing needs to go underground.
Dart extension from Malahide through Swords onto the Airport and eventually connecting to the sligo line is a much duller and cheaper option.

Dart extension from Malahide through Swords onto the Airport and eventually connecting to the sligo line is a much duller and cheaper option.
No chance as the people of Malahide would then be easily connected to Swords and that would be unacceptable and take 5 years to get through the courts.

biteback

Dart Underground is by far the most important project, so I am glad that it appears that it is continuing. However the fact remains that assuming we start paying for Metro North in 2017 (or whenever it opens) under the PPP then it really is a good idea as it would generate much needed employment and lower social welfare costs.

Its also very different from the Cherrywood Luas extension in that it would go through densely populated areas. A government with vision and ability would be able to win the argument over cheapshot journo's like Kevin Myers. Sad that ours can't even do that.

We never like to make things easy for ourselves in this country by thinking ahead and planning for the future.

alonso

common sense prevailing
ANOTHER business case? It's not the RPA's fault no one is arsed educating themselves on this line.

Myth: No cost benefit analysis of Metro North has been prepared

Fact: An independently audited cost benefit analysis has been carried out. The project benefits exceed costs by a ratio of 2:1.

A previous published review of RPA’s projections by advisors to the Oireachtas Joint Transport committee concluded that RPA was underestimating the benefits that would be delivered by Metro

Metro North Myths And Facts

Also to all those who see DArt Undeground as the more worthy project, 2 points:

1. You are right. If one is to take the 2 lines as 2 entirely stand alone seperate projects. But they're not. Their successes are interdependent.

2. If we pull Metro North, no one will trust Ireland on Dart Underground and no one will bid. We will be a laughing stock having brought this project all the way to construction stage.

Objectors to Metro North should be very careful and think hard as to what sort of Ireland they want. A backward pig under the arm poor relation of Europe which can never get it's infrastructure up to scratch. Or the Ireland of Luas, Metro, DU, O2, Aviva stadium, and the national motorway network.

SCrapping Metro North would prove the begrudgers, naysayers and cavemen are in total control in Ireland. Imagine the disdain that would be heaped on the nation if we pull a 10 year old project to link the centre of our capital to the Airport and a suburb the size of some of our "cities" while giving the go-ahead to the fcking Tralee bypass!!!

If you wanna live in modern Ireland, support the Metro and Dart Underground project. If you want to live in Jackie Healy Rae's Ireland oppose it, with no facts, just hyperbole and nonsense.

goosebump

ANOTHER business case? It's not the RPA's fault no one is arsed educating themselves on this line.

Myth: No cost benefit analysis of Metro North has been prepared

Fact: An independently audited cost benefit analysis has been carried out. The project benefits exceed costs by a ratio of 2:1.

A previous published review of RPA’s projections by advisors to the Oireachtas Joint Transport committee concluded that RPA was underestimating the benefits that would be delivered by Metro

Metro North Myths And Facts

Also to all those who see DArt Undeground as the more worthy project, 2 points:

1. You are right. If one is to take the 2 lines as 2 entirely stand alone seperate projects. But they're not. Their successes are interdependent.

2. If we pull Metro North, no one will trust Ireland on Dart Underground and no one will bid. We will be a laughing stock having brought this project all the way to construction stage.

Objectors to Metro North should be very careful and think hard as to what sort of Ireland they want. A backward pig under the arm poor relation of Europe which can never get it's infrastructure up to scratch. Or the Ireland of Luas, Metro, DU, O2, Aviva stadium, and the national motorway network.

SCrapping Metro North would prove the begrudgers, naysayers and cavemen are in total control in Ireland. Imagine the disdain that would be heaped on the nation if we pull a 10 year old project to link the centre of our capital to the Airport and a suburb the size of some of our "cities" while giving the go-ahead to the fcking Tralee bypass!!!

If you wanna live in modern Ireland, support the Metro and Dart Underground project. If you want to live in Jackie Healy Rae's Ireland oppose it, with no facts, just hyperbole and nonsense.
Good post as usual, alonso.

I've never met a planner who didn't talk sense.

Unfortunately, you guys all appear to be locked in the basements of Government buildings, in case you get out and start blinding people with pagan concepts like 'long term planning'.

alonso

Good post as usual, alonso.

I've never met a planner who didn't talk sense.

Unfortunately, you guys all appear to be locked in the basements of Government buildings, in case you get out and start blinding people with pagan concepts like 'long term planning'.
Thanks, but I've met a few planners in my time who spout nothing but nonsense ;)

I hope that the last decade of environmental degradation, ghost estates, miserable long distance commuting, congestion and urban sprawl MAY lead to people listening to the planning profession, the one profession that was shouting stop all along while the country was signing it's own death warrant. However the sheer ignorance that I witness on this board doesn't fill me with hope.

mido

extend the dublin bike scheme to the airport to keep greens happy and run a bus via port tunnel- face facts-dublin is a small provincial british city like sheffield and a metro is and will be a white elephant for the population it will serve and the taxpayers who will pay - cost benefit of 2;1for the private part of the ppp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies