• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Metropolitan Police stole identities of dead children for undercover operations

J

Johnny Boy

A Guardian investigation has unearthed another scandal involving the Metropolitan Police this morning.

Britain's largest police force stole the identities of an estimated 80 dead children and issued fake passports in their names for use by undercover police officers.

The Metropolitan police secretly authorised the practice for covert officers infiltrating protest groups without consulting or informing the children's parents.
You have to wonder if these people respect any boundaries. I've always known that there was a lot of corruption in Britain's police forces, but even I'm taken aback that any police force worthy of the name could stoop this low. Truly shocking.

Police spies stole identities of dead children | UK news | The Guardian

realistic1

A Guardian investigation has unearthed another scandal involving the Metropolitan Police this morning.

You have to wonder if these people respect any boundaries. I've always known that there was a lot of corruption in Britain's police forces, but even I'm taken aback that any police force worthy of the name could stoop this low. Truly shocking.

The Met! always good for some media reports.

ibis

As far as I know, this is how all good fake identities are constructed. I don't see how it's "corrupt" at all, either - does the word really mean nothing more than "I don't like this"?

Aindriu

Go and read Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsythe.

controller

Apart from being maybe disrespectful, I don't really know what the problem is, and it is certinly no scandle

ibis

I believe identity theft may be illegal, Ibis. Hence, if the police did it, it is corrupt.
Er, no - if its illegal, and the police do it, it's illegal.

Little_Korean

Meh, undercover cops going undercover. Not much of a story beyond the casual interest.

seabhcan

Meh, undercover cops going undercover. Not much of a story beyond the casual interest.
The were going undercover to monitor groups who were not banned, criminal or illegal. These were political groups which the establishment disagreed with. While undercover they committed crimes in the name of these groups in an effort to discredit them. Oh, and they stole dead babies identities to do it.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
As far as I know, this is how all good fake identities are constructed. I don't see how it's "corrupt" at all, either - does the word really mean nothing more than "I don't like this"?
Indeed , no harm done , none intended

Little_Korean

The were going undercover to monitor groups who were not banned, criminal or illegal. These were political groups which the establishment disagreed with.
Groups like far-right or anti-capitalists which have a history of violence in the UK, so, yeah, monitor away.

While undercover they committed crimes in the name of these groups in an effort to discredit them.
As in what case...?

Oh, and they stole dead babies identities to do it.
To be blunt, it's not as if they were being used otherwise.

Cruimh

So what? How else would they create false identities for their undercover agents?

Aindriu

So what? How else would they create false identities for their undercover agents?
Absolutely! Whatever identity they use has to be checkable i.e. they have to have a birth cert to open bank accounts & obtain a passport. We aren't talking about playing games here. These coppers put their lives on the line when undercover. If discovered it wouldn't be a kicking they would get!

seabhcan

Groups like far-right or anti-capitalists which have a history of violence in the UK, so, yeah, monitor away.
A history of violence, which incidentally coincides with police infiltration.

As in what case...?
Mark Kennedy 'took part in attack on Irish police officers at EU summit' | Environment | The Guardian

Guardian said:
The undercover policeman Mark Kennedy was in the vanguard of militant anti-capitalist protesters who attacked Irish police officers at an EU summit in Dublin marking the accession of eastern European states to the union, Irish anarchists have told the Guardian.

Protesters who took part in actions with him allege that his involvement went further than just observing. They allege that he also made visits to Dublin to help train protesters and encouraged other activists to attack the police. This raises further questions about his role as an undercover officer and backs up suggestions he acted as an agent provocateur.
To be blunt, it's not as if they were being used otherwise.
I'm sure the parents of those dead kids will be consoled by this.

Levellers

This isn't the worst of it. The undercover officiers were the ones pushing for law breaking in these environmental groups.

Little_Korean

A history of violence, which incidentally coincides with police infiltration.

Mark Kennedy 'took part in attack on Irish police officers at EU summit' | Environment | The Guardian
All of which confirms that these groups are violent and need watching. After all, did these people kick him out of their group? Distance themselves from him? Give him a talking to? Or where they happy to take whatever he was offering?

Can't help but notice how the Guardian is only focusing on undercover police who were inside far-left groups. Presumably they have no problem with the far-right ones being infiltrated?