• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Mexit - Isle of Man debates independence?

Breanainn

The somnolent political backwater that usually characterises the Isle of Man has sparked into activity following Brexit. The island has an agreement with the EU relating to free trade of goods and services, but as foreign affairs are handled by London, this will now have to be revisited. One Cabinet Minister has even suggested that Manx independence shpuld be considered as a potential negotiating position, so could Douglas break away from the UK?

Updated: What happens next? Isle of Man mulls implications of Brexit - Isle of Man Today

gleeful

Channel Islands and Gibraltar have similar problems. Perhaps they join Scotland.

APettigrew92

The somnolent political backwater that usually characterises the Isle of Man has sparked into activity following Brexit. The island has an agreement with the EU relating to free trade of goods and services, but as foreign affairs are handled by London, this will now have to be revisited. One Cabinet Minister has even suggested that Manx independence shpuld be considered as a potential negotiating position, so could Douglas break away from the UK?

Updated: What happens next? Isle of Man mulls implications of Brexit - Isle of Man Today
I can only wonder where corrupt NAMA officials and those bin companies will hide their earnings now.

The Isle of Mann has a lot historically in common with this island of ours.

However it would seem a lot less likely for them to enter into any formal agreement with us. They're doing fine with their shady business as it is.

We should be far more concerned with the "Remain" areas in NI which, without exception, represent majority Catholic areas.

Spanner Island

They'll have to give up their tax haven status... unless the EU is happy enough to have a tax haven in its midst...

I don't see the Manxers doing much tbh... they're just looking for a bit of attention.

runwiththewind

I was so tempted to sign in and suggest that the IOM join Ireland.

I wonder what they know or think of us?

Breanainn

They are members of the British-Irish Council, so seems a good avenue to explore the relations between sovereign and devolved governments.

Galloglass

Well they used to speak Gaelic...I heard a recording of the last native speaker who died in the 70s I think on the radio.....They now have started their own Gaelscoil movement which is nice. Of course they are neither in the UK or the EU ....perhaps they don't like "Unions"

Odyessus

Well they used to speak Gaelic...I heard a recording of the last native speaker who died in the 70s I think on the radio.....They now have started their own Gaelscoil movement which is nice. Of course they are neither in the UK or the EU ....perhaps they don't like "Unions"
I think they hold Dev in high esteem for his efforts on behalf of Manx Gaelic.

BBC - A Wooden Crate which preserved the Manx Language

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
They'll have to give up their tax haven status... unless the EU is happy enough to have a tax haven in its midst...

I don't see the Manxers doing much tbh... they're just looking for a bit of attention.
Attention that many on the island don't really want. They're quite happy to have their haven status and the odd race around the place every summer.

irish dog

So Ireland,N Ireland,Scotland and any other lost soul should join together to make a western alliance.

Barroso

We should be far more concerned with the "Remain" areas in NI which, without exception, represent majority Catholic areas.
Not so. S Belfast and N Down are where the rich prods live. Uppity taigues have been joining them there for a while now, though.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
As long as they realise where they are in the pecking order in relation to Cork - inferior in every way.
Sure the Corkwegians have been wanting a Corksit for generations. Let them have their referendumb.

storybud1

So Ireland,N Ireland,Scotland and any other lost soul should join together to make a western alliance.
Given the madness of Merkel, the mass immigration that will happen for decades from the 3rd world, the impending crap that will happen in Italy/Greece and Southern Europe, a Western Isles coalition including England/Denmark/Norway (fook Sweden, they are just too mad) is not that crazy given Brexit and the rise of Le Pen .

In the long term nobody has a fooking clue, they all spoof and spin (just like me) but they don't really want to ask the people what they want as they have their own agendas, usually legacy, money, power etc (Tony Blair, Clintons, etc)

What is the big stuff coming ? climate change/Mass African immigration/Electric cars/ globalisation / the spread of Islam/population control/ political sea changes in national identity ? who the fook knows, the bookies and all the media predicted a Remain vote would win, that Labour were neck and neck with the Tories in the last election , Trump hadn't a hope, Le Pen , soft landings, they are all selling an agenda because they are told to.

Something very fishy is going on and the elite liberal fascists are not happy after yesterday, they are visibly sickened and displayed it by their thinly veiled descriptions of Brexit voters are pure white trash (look back on the BBC/C4 news) they really went out of their way to describe Brexiters as racists, dole spongers and trash, not proud English people in their own Country expressing their view on how "Their" Country should be run.

Cato

The Isle of Man is currently neither a member of the U.K. nor the EU.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies