Miami Showband Story to Get Movie Treatment

picador

Plans are afoot for a movie telling the story of The Miami Showband, three of whose members were murdered by a loyalist counter-gang as they returned home from a gig in Banbridge, Co. Down, thirty-five years ago today. The movie will be based on the book by bass-guitarist Stephen Travers, who surivived the massacre despite being seriously wounded.

Three Ulster Defence Regiment soldiers were jailed for life for their roles in the incident while two other soldiers, were killed when a bomb they were loading onto the band's minibus detonated prematurely. All five were also members of the UVF.

BBC News - Film plans for 1975 Miami Showband massacre story

The movie will be made, subject to Traver's approval, by Regent Street Productions of London and Beverly Hills. I normally don't like Troubles movies but I look forward to seeing this one.

Last edited:

TrueBlue84

Plans are afoot for a movie telling the story of The Miami Showband, three of whose members were murdered by a loyalist counter-gang as they returned home from a gig in Banbridge, Co. Down, thirty-five years ago today. The movie will be based on the book by bass-guitarist Stephen Travers, who surivived the massacre despite being seriously wounded.

Three Ulster Defence Regiment soldiers were jailed for life for their roles in the incident while two other soldiers, were killed when a bomb they were loading onto the band's minibus detonated prematurely. All five were also members of the UVF.

BBC News - Film plans for 1975 Miami Showband massacre story

The movie will be made, subject to Traver's approval, by Regent Street Productions of London and Beverly Hills. I normally don't like Troubles movies but I look forward to seeing this one.
What would the story be? In a movie context I dont see how it would work unless in an Omagh style.

That was a moving piece

godot666

What would the story be? In a movie context I dont see how it would work unless in an Omagh style.

That was a moving piece
Ah, Good old "Whataboutry", where would you Bigots be with out it!!

Young Ned

That was a moving piece
I could think of a number of ways it could be treated, all interesting. I'll definitely watch it when it comes out.

Scipio

It will be interesting to see what role, if any, Capitan Nairac will have.

saoirsegodeo32

be interesting to see how its presented

st333ve

Would be interesting to see is their music any good.

They're remembered solely for being murdered.

Somehow though I doubt that an Ulster Miami style music band wouldn't be to many peoples taste.

Scipio

Somehow though I doubt that an Ulster Miami style music band wouldn't be to many peoples taste.
They were from Dublin and, being a showband, played various music styles.

picador

It's not definite yet that the film will be made. The book will be turned into a screenplay and Travers has the final say whether the film will go ahead. He is anxious that the matter is treated sensitively - as well he might.

Has anyone read his book?

picador

It will be interesting to see what role, if any, Capitan Nairac will have.
He's worth a film all to himself - as is Robin Jackson a.k.a. the Jackal.

TrueBlue84

It's not definite yet that the film will be made. The book will be turned into a screenplay and Travers has the final say whether the film will go ahead. He is anxious that the matter is treated sensitively - as well he might.

Has anyone read his book?
What is the outline of the book?

Love how its bigotry from some when you ask about a plot or whataboutery.

Will the movie be about the band forming with the audience knowing that ultimately we are having a tragic end...

Or does it start with the bomb and deal with the aftermath as Omagh largely did

mutley

Your ignorance never ceased to amaze me.
Ask your grands or your parents about how popular show bands were in Ireland

HJ McCracken

The Miami Showband was a Belfast favourite. It enjoyed cross community support. I was sickend to hear there murders, as were many protestants.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies