• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Michael Cimino - RIP

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
[video=youtube;WZfoi59-1to]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZfoi59-1to[/video]

mr. jings

As for Cimino - The Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate are fantastic films, and I always had a soft spot for Year of the Dragon.

[video=youtube;zAAd7b6atLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAAd7b6atLk[/video]

Fr. Hank Tree

As for Cimino - The Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate are fantastic films, and I always had a soft spot for Year of the Dragon.
Deer hunter is an incredibly racist film it has been argued, because of its depiction of Vietnamese people and its focus on American soldiers as the victims.

I think the casting, acting and script though is fantastic, particularly the first part of the movie.

Having seen it many times I still don't know what to make of it overall. Sometimes I think it offers a very authentic human account of working class experience of the war and other times I think it's a pretentious and overcooked delivery of what is basically a jingoistic narrow-minded message.

Last edited:

TiredOfBeingTired

I think the casting, acting and script though is fantastic, particularly the first part of the movie.
One of the interesting things about the Deer Hunter was that John Cazale was dying from cancer as it was been made.
His partner at the time was Meryl Streep.
I think she threatened to walk away if he was removed from the cast.

TiredOfBeingTired

Calculusmadeeasy

I watched the blu ray release of Heaven's Gate last year. Despite not having seen it in the theatre (I was 5 in 1980), I think it's one of those films that needs the big screen. Even a 54" sooper dooper panasonic c/w surround sound probably isn't going to capture the scale and grandeur of the story.

One thing that did irk me was the sound. Characters' discussions on city streets were often drowned out by the noise of passing traffic. A friend told me that this was intentional: Cimino wanted his audience to experience a noisy city in 1890s America. I hope that's not true, because it seems like an idiotic thing to do. We still need to hear dialogue, particularly if it's vital in building the movie's narrative.

Aside from that, and allowing for the fact that the small screen doesn't do it justice, the visuals are mesmeric. Allegedly responsible for changing Hollywood from a creative avant-garde force into the cookie cutter system we have today, this movie is now being hailed as a flawed classic.

Criterion have released a shiny new blu ray. As usual it costs an arm and a leg.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Criterion-Collection-Heavens-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008Y5OWMK/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1467577977&sr=1-2&keywords=heaven's+gate+blu+ray

Robin Hardy (RIP)

I've only ever seen The Wicker Man. A remarkably odd movie. Loved it!

Dearghoul

I watched the blu ray release of Heaven's Gate last year. Despite not having seen it in the theatre (I was 5 in 1980), I think it's one of those films that needs the big screen. Even a 54" sooper dooper panasonic c/w surround sound probably isn't going to capture the scale and grandeur of the story.

One thing that did irk me was the sound. Characters' discussions on city streets were often drowned out by the noise of passing traffic. A friend told me that this was intentional: Cimino wanted his audience to experience a noisy city in 1890s America. I hope that's not true, because it seems like an idiotic thing to do. We still need to hear dialogue, particularly if it's vital in building the movie's narrative.

Aside from that, and allowing for the fact that the small screen doesn't do it justice, the visuals are mesmeric. Allegedly responsible for changing Hollywood from a creative avant-garde force into the cookie cutter system we have today, this movie is now being hailed as a flawed classic.

Criterion have released a shiny new blu ray. As usual it costs an arm and a leg.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Criterion-Collection-Heavens-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008Y5OWMK/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1467577977&sr=1-2&keywords=heaven's+gate+blu+ray

Robin Hardy (RIP)

Heaven's gate. Narrative! What bloody narrative?

I believe it did to its studio what the Millennium stadium did to Laing Brothers.

The Deer Hunter, now there's a movie. That long, long, take at the wedding, beauty, genious!

Calculusmadeeasy

Deer hunter is an incredibly racist film it has been argued, because of its depiction of Vietnamese people and its focus on American soldiers as the victims.

Having seen it many times I still don't know what to make of it overall. Sometimes I think it offers a very authentic human account of working class experience of the war and other times I think it's a pretentious and overcooked delivery of what is basically a jingoistic narrow-minded message.
It would be nice to see a movie telling the story from the North Vietnamese perspective.

mr. jings

One of the interesting things about the Deer Hunter was that John Cazale was dying from cancer as it was been made.
His partner at the time was Meryl Streep.
I think she threatened to walk away if he was removed from the cast.
Also, I read that DeNiro paid for the insurance after the studio deemed Cazale uninsurable due to his illness. As a result we got the great 'This is this, Stanley'.

mr. jings

Robin Hardy (RIP)

I'd say Jaws and Star Wars and the rise of the blockbuster were at least as, and probably a lot more, responsible for the way Hollywood evolved than Heaven's Gate, which is, as you say, quite the experience on the big screen.

mr. jings

It is a film of two halves alright. The wedding scene is magnificent.

Catalpast

It is a film of two halves alright. The wedding scene is magnificent.
I liked the first half

- but while it was good drama it was a bit unrealistic

- mind you its years since I seen it

HG is a flawed classic

- only watched excerpts

- but it looks good

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies