• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Michael Davitt biography ?

jerryp

Does anyone know if such a book exists ? Nearest I got was a book of prison writings by him but would like to have the full story of his life.From what I do know of him, his place in Irish /labour history is not given due honour. Thanks.

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
Wikipedia cites:

1. D.B. Cashman and Michael Davitt, The Life of Michael Davitt and the Secret History of The Land League (1881)

2. Francis Sheehy-Skeffington, Michael Davitt : revolutionary, agitator and labour leader (1908, etc.)

3. M.M. O'Hara, Chief and Tribune: Parnell and Davitt (1919)

4. Carla King: Michael Davitt, Dundalk (1999)

5. Theodore W. Moody: Davitt and Irish revolution, Oxford (1981)

Barbarian

There was a new biog on Davitt reviewed in the IT a couple of weeks ago. The author was Bernard O'Hara

Socratus O' Pericles

Ten Years After:

https://www.dcu.ie/history_geography/news/2016/Nov/Michael-Davitt-after-Land-League-1882-1906-Book-Launch.shtml

The launch took place on the St. Patrick's Campus on Wednesday 23 November of Carla King's monumental biography of Michael Davitt. Published by UCD Press, Michael Davitt after the Land League, 1882-1906, provides the eagerly and long awaited companion to T.W. Moody's Davitt and Irish revolution, 1846-82 (1981). The result of an exhaustive examination of Davitt's extensive papers, and those of his contemporaries in many countries, the availability of this works means that scholars, students and readers generally are now in a position definitively to trace the life and career of an endlessly fascinating and compelling figure.

The book is available from UCD Press and all good bookstores.

28th November, 2016.

50 spons boys and girls. :shock2:

But it is at the top of of my reading list.

THE hero of this country imo, as I mentioned here:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/252026-who-outstanding-irish-political-figure-all-time.html

P.S. ........yer man's sig in the OP is a classic. You don't hear that much anymore.:)

Brenny

Socratus O' Pericles

I hope it does well, its seems like a masterwork.

Seanie Lemass

He turned out to be a bit of bollix. Was one of leading betrayers of Parnell.

ergo2

We are tolerant and easy going people in Mayo, but you would need to watch your back if your publicly proclaimed that POV.

The Land League and the boycott were developed in Davitt's Mayo.

Socratus O' Pericles

"If there is a future, it will be Green." - Petra Kelly.
Wonder what Davitt would have made of that?

Roberto Jordan

It's the circle of life. The Davitts went from radical agitators fighting for the common man to producing a high court judge and blue shirt TD in one generation.......if Michael had been a true life long revolutionary then, in spite of his early death, I'm not sure the foals would have strayed so far from the sires supposed character..
Some folk can't keep their wits once allowed into the drawing room .

TBF Davitt is a heroic figure regardless.....though,and I'm only half joking, the adoption of "the mans" airs and graces at the first opportunity seems to be a particularly mayo trait not shared by their neighbors in Connemara etc.

Ellen Ripley

It's the circle of life. The Davitts went from radical agitators fighting for the common man to producing a high court judge and blue shirt TD in one generation.......if Michael had been a true life long revolutionary then, in spite of his early death, I'm not sure the foals would have strayed so far from the sires supposed character..
Some folk can't keep their wits once allowed into the drawing room .

TBF Davitt is a heroic figure regardless.....though,and I'm only half joking, the adoption of "the mans" airs and graces at the first opportunity seems to be a particularly mayo trait not shared by their neighbors in Connemara etc.
Any actual evidence for that sweeping statement, at all?

Hmm...I see Danger here..:D

Socratus O' Pericles

Here's another one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Davitt-Irish-Patriot-Father-League-ebook/dp/B003S3S0FS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481656479&sr=1-1&keywords=9780980166026

This is an illustrated biography of Michael Davitt (1846-1906), who was one of the most beloved and respected personalities in Irish history.
He was immortalized as the "Father of the Land League" and was also a respected international journalist, author, supporter of Home Rule and Member of Parliament.
Davitt loved America and was a frequent visitor. He married Mary Jane Yore, an Irish-American from Oakland, California. His family settled in Pennsylvania. His father is buried in Scranton and his mother is buried in Manayunk, Philadelphia.
Davitt's legacy to Ireland was immense: a country almost free of the landlord ascendancy class, occupying-ownership of the land, a foundation for the development of an independent, inclusive, democratic State, and a wonderful role model for patriotic public service.
Widely acknowledged as a hero in Ireland long before his death, Michael Davitt has a secure place in the history of his country and is rightly seen as one of its greatest patriots.

Ex celt

A treacherous individual who spoke like George Formby. Oh Mr Wu...

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
I was intrigued to learn (from a review of the recent book) of his activities in Tsarist Russia.

Socratus O' Pericles

I was intrigued to learn (from a review of the recent book) of his activities in Tsarist Russia.
Met Tolstoy amongst others:

‘On his first visit to Russia, in 1904, Davitt went to see Tolstoy. Initially their meeting did not go well. When Tolstoy adverted to what he supposed was Davitt’s Englishness he was firmly rebuked - “Oh no I am Irish, not English in any sense”. One of the points of mutual interest was the work of Henry George. Tolstoy had read George’s Progress and Poverty, some ideas from which, on the question of land nationalisation, found their way into Tolstoy’s 1899 novel, Resurrection. They also discussed the plight of political prisoners in Russia and in the UK, with Davitt recording how astonished Tolstoy was to learn that Britain had political prisoners. He also took the opportunity to acquaint Tolstoy with the general outline of Irish history and in particular with the issue of resurgent nationalism. He pleaded with the great writer, whom he said had the ear of the reading world, to “say a word for Ireland’s right to rule herself whenever you can”.’ (Oliver Rafferty, ‘Much more than an Irish nationalist’, review of Laurence Marley, Michael Davitt: Freelance Radical and Frondeur, in The Irish Times, 21 July 2007, Weekend.)
Michael Davitt (1846-1906)