• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Michael Lowry, return to Fine Gael??

davehiggz

I don't have the article yet because I only saw a glimpse on the front of the Irish Independent on Vincent Browne.

The small headline suggested the Enda Kenny might be trying to bring Michael Lowry back into the party or that Lowry himself might be requesting to join Fine Gael.

What do we think?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
He'd be burnt by a huge number of FGers in Tipp North.. no more so than by Noel Coonan. It would probably cost FG a seat overall in North Tipp because much of Lowry's vote is not FG vote, which he'd lose if he was in a party.

I can't see it happening. At best, Kenny may be offering him inducements to bring down the current Government

flavirostris

No way. FG kick out the bad 'uns unlike in FF where it works on a revolving door basis or as votes are needed.

davehiggz

I guess it all depends on what the tribunal concludes. If Lowry is cleared of all wrongdoing then Kenny could easily bring him in. If he is found to have done anything wrong then it's a no go area.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I guess it all depends on what the tribunal concludes. If Lowry is cleared of all wrongdoing then Kenny could easily bring him in. If he is found to have done anything wrong then it's a no go area.
North Tipp FG don't want him. Noel Coonan doesn't want him. Why would Kenny want to antagonise and potentially create another unnecessary split in FG over Michael Lowry ?

flavirostris

he was involved in wrongdoing which is why he was ejected.

LMN3

The convulsions within Fine Gael would make it unfit for government. Lowry and his expulsion are the litmus test of how Fine Gael is different from Fianna Fáil on ethical matters.

Only Labour and Fianna Fáil would want Lowry to rejoin Fine Gael.

olamp

he was involved in wrongdoing which is why he was ejected.
It would be a very bad move for Enda Kenny if he agrees to this-To the best of my knowledge Lowry availed of the tax amnesty years back without full declaration of an offshore account-correct me if I`m wrong

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The headline in the top right corner of tomorrow's Irish Independent says: "Kenny hints at Lowry return to FG" - it's a piece by Fionnan Sheahan, but that's about as much as I can make out.

goatstoe

I don't have the article yet because I only saw a glimpse on the front of the Irish Independent on Vincent Browne.

The small headline suggested the Enda Kenny might be trying to bring Michael Lowry back into the party or that Lowry himself might be requesting to join Fine Gael.

What do we think?
Personally I wouldn't find it surprising at all. As most people who have a basic grasp of Irish politics have known for a long time now there is little or no difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. So just like FF will take back the likes of Beverley Cooper Flynn, FG will do do the same with the arch gombeen Lowry. Plus ca change as the French say.

Hopefully the Irish electorate will wake up soon and realise that FG and FF are one and the same. A real alternative to FF/FG lead governments is the starting point to a much needed transformation of the Irish political landscape.

the_rebubblican

Unbelievable. Nail in the coffin if true of FG's dwindling liberal tradition. Nah...couldn't be true. Season of silliness stuff.

Edo

No No and No

If its true - it would be equivalent of throwing the most powerful fertilizer known to man on Kenny's new mown front lawn - suicidal

Me thinks its the start of silly season and Sheahan needs to balance the virulent anti-FF articles he's been writing recently.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Either this is the silly season... or Flannery, Reilly & Hogan have gone on holidays, leaving Kenny in charge

cYp

goatstoe

No No and No

If its true - it would be equivalent of throwing the most powerful fertilizer known to man on Kenny's new mown front lawn - suicidal

Me thinks its the start of silly season and Sheahan needs to balance the virulent anti-FF articles he's been writing recently.

I can guarantee you, if after the next GE results are counted and Enda needed Lowry's support to make up a government he would definitely use his support. After all, didn't he try to cobble together a government with Lowry and all the other Independents and smaller parties before admitting defeat after the GE in 2007. Lowry rejoining FG wouldn't surprise me, true to form I would say.

flavirostris

Personally I wouldn't find it surprising at all. As most people who have a basic grasp of Irish politics have known for a long time now there is little or no difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. So just like FF will take back the likes of Beverley Cooper Flynn, FG will do do the same with the arch gombeen Lowry. Plus ca change as the French say
It's not going to happen. Just silly season journalism as pointed out above. Lowry was kicked out of FG 15 years ago and there has never been any move to re-instate him - that's why your statement above is completely untrue.
Cooper Flynn was expelled from FF a couple of times and was always re-instated within a year or two. Lowry is gone 15 years.
See the difference yet.

hiding behind a poster

Personally I wouldn't find it surprising at all. As most people who have a basic grasp of Irish politics have known for a long time now there is little or no difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. So just like FF will take back the likes of Beverley Cooper Flynn, FG will do do the same with the arch gombeen Lowry. Plus ca change as the French say.

Hopefully the Irish electorate will wake up soon and realise that FG and FF are one and the same. A real alternative to FF/FG lead governments is the starting point to a much needed transformation of the Irish political landscape.
:roll: You mean like the "alternative" that recently hired Mae Sexton?

Limerick Lad

This reminds me of that fabled Lyndon B. Johnson story, when he supposedly told his campaign managers to spread a rumor that his opponent had sex with farm animals. When they protested because there was no truth to the rumor, Johnson allegedly said, “I know, I just want to hear him deny it.”

goatstoe

It's not going to happen. Just silly season journalism as pointed out above. Lowry was kicked out of FG 15 years ago and there has never been any move to re-instate him - that's why your statement above is completely untrue.
Cooper Flynn was expelled from FF a couple of times and was always re-instated within a year or two. Lowry is gone 15 years.
See the difference yet.
You hope. Maybe, Enda is flying a wee kite to see if it would be acceptable to welcome back a prodigal son. Maybe Enda feels easier in his company than with some of his so called colleagues.

hiding behind a poster

Liberals are nasty feckers.
Thankfully we don't conduct our politics along those stupid lines in this country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies