Michael Martin Supports Abortion On Demand Because He Is Afraid FF Will Be Outflanked By Sinn Fein.

TruthInTheNews

A highly placed source in FF has admitted that Michael Martin decided to publicly support abortion on demand because he is afraid FF will be outflanked by SF particularly among younger voters. Its a tactical move to prevent younger FF voters from drifting towards SF. Martin is aware that rural FF is totally opposed to abortion on demand but he is also cognisant of the fact that FF needs to increase its support in urban areas otherwise it will become a rural party with an aging voter base. FF is a left of center party that needs the support of the under 30s to wrest back its position as the largest party in Ireland. Martin thinks the risk of alienating older FF voters is outweighed by the strategic advantage of attracting younger voters away from SF and keeping them in the FF fold.

SF liberalised its abortion policy at its last Ard Fheis by accepting a threat to the mental health of the mother as grounds for abortion.This is effectively abortion on demand.

owedtojoy

A highly placed source in FF has admitted that Michael Martin decided to publicly support abortion on demand because he is afraid FF will be outflanked by SF particularly among younger voters. Its a tactical move to prevent younger FF voters from drifting towards SF. Martin is aware that rural FF is totally opposed to abortion on demand but he is also cognisant of the fact that FF needs to increase its support in urban areas otherwise it will become a rural party with an aging voter base. FF is a left of center party that needs the support of the under 30s to wrest back its position as the largest party in Ireland. Martin thinks the risk of alienating older FF voters is outweighed by the strategic advantage of attracting younger voters away from SF and keeping them in the FF fold.

SF liberalised its abortion policy at its last Ard Fheis by accepting a threat to the mental health of the mother as grounds for abortion.This is effectively abortion on demand.
Ah, another "scalded cat" thread.

Well done, Michael Martin, you act of political courage and conviction will stand to you. Never mind the scalded cats.

TruthInTheNews

Many FF members will be disgusted at Martins stance on abortion.
Yes. Particularly the older ones. That's what many rural FF deputies are worried about. Rural Ireland is opposed to abortion on demand and FF are, at this point in time a rural party. Martin is gambling on the fact that these rural voters will have nowhere else to go. So a lot depends on whether FG accept danger to mental health as grounds for abortion.

scolairebocht

I think Martin coming out like this was orchestrated and manipulated by the media. Every single news reference to it that I read described the shock of it, the big change it represents, the coming of age and educational process these guys are going through because of the evidence given to the Assembly and Committee etc etc.

But its nonsense? We all knew he was pro-choice, if you didn't all you had to note was that he has Kelleher appointed as FF spokesman on the matter for years and he has always been pro-choice.

Everything is now going to be orchestrated to get this referendum passed, prepare to be brainwashed people!

damus

A party who is allowing a free vote will be outflanked by one who isn't, really?

TruthInTheNews

A party who is allowing a free vote will be outflanked by one who isn't, really?
The public does not give a damn if a party allows a free vote. All they care about is party policy. FF were shaping up as the anti-abortion party but Martin's announcement has changed that. The question is will Martin's endorsement of abortion on demand damage FF in its rural heartlands especially if FG opt for a restricted abortion policy i.e. no mental health criteria. Will rural FF voters switch to FG at the next election or perhaps stay at home and opt out?

Dame_Enda

Yes. Particularly the older ones. That's what many rural FF deputies are worried about. Rural Ireland is opposed to abortion on demand and FF are, at this point in time a rural party. Martin is gambling on the fact that these rural voters will have nowhere else to go. So a lot depends on whether FG accept danger to mental health as grounds for abortion.
They have nowhere else to go though. I doubt they will go to Renua but a few might.

paulp

I have no time for Martin, but don't believe that was his motivation

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I love the bit about Fianna Fail being a 'left of centre' party. That gave me my first chuckle of the day.

TruthInTheNews

I love the bit about Fianna Fail being a 'left of centre' party. That gave me my first chuckle of the day.
"The Cork South TD said Fianna Fail – under his leadership – would not be changing its position after the election, whatever the result. He said Fianna Fail was a social democratic party which was left of centre in spirit – and, while pro-enterprise, it believed the economic recovery should be experienced by all regions of the country and in particular lower to middle-income groups."

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
"The Cork South TD said Fianna Fail – under his leadership – would not be changing its position after the election, whatever the result. He said Fianna Fail was a social democratic party which was left of centre in spirit – and, while pro-enterprise, it believed the economic recovery should be experienced by all regions of the country and in particular lower to middle-income groups."
Yeh. Bertie the Social Democrat. They are a bunch of cattlemart pickpockets and there are very few in that party who would know the difference or even be able to speak about left or right of centre.

Self-aggrandising bullshyte.

Windowshopper

Call me a cynic but sometimes politicans support a policy because they believe in it.

New Threads

Most Replies