Michael McDowell : P.ie "a fetid backwater"

Mentalist Clientelist

Michael McDowell's article in today's Sunday Business Post discusses anonymous online content and in the middle of it he has a right go at this parish.

He says that Politics.ie started out well but has descended into a "fetid backwater".

The site has "degenerated into a worthless exchange of cynical backbiting and abuse by a small group of anonymous insider contributors whose bile is largely matched by their ignorance."

He goes on: "It has become so juvenile and ill-informed that it is generally painful to read. It is the online equivalent of old-fashioned graffiti on the walls of toilet cubicles."

The use of anonymous posts has led to this degeneration, he says.

I agree with everything he says. There was a time when I would go on this site daily and while there are still many fine posters on here, a lot of posters are (a) wind up merchants, (b) party lackeys, (c) thick or (d) drunk and sometimes all four.

I post here anonymously like most others. I think, though, that for a site to thrive, it may have to get rid of this whole anonymity lark and insist on posters' true identity. Then we would have proper, more reasoned debate. The problem of course is that by going down this route, the site would open itself up to defamation actions as being the facilitator of defamatory publications against named individuals.

redneck

I think Mr McDowell wants to control the internet. The Labour party do.

Boy M5

Where's CyP?

Socratus O' Pericles

Hell hath no fury..............

GDPR

He s just trying to get my attention.

I told him it would never happen.

Men.

Northsideman

Politicians aren't adverse to anonymous posting, in their case it's called a leak, and no I ain't taking the p!ss.

Catalpast

It has its faults

- but overall I like it a lot

- it takes a while to separate the wheat from the chaff though...

Eoin Coir

McDool was the man who ran away from RDS in 2007 saying he was finished with public life for good.Now hes back,& PDs are gone.

Felixness

Ah shure I'm sure his nice big taxpayer funded pension will help ease his suffering. I had to Google him, such is his importance in the world. He sounds like another one of the political elite who'd like to silence people who disagree with him.

Northsideman

McDool was the man who ran away from RDS in 2007 saying he was finished with public life for good.Now hes back,& PDs are gone.
Back to the Blueshirts so.

ger12

He's entitled to his opinion.

And there are plenty of abusive nasty posters.

ruserious

Funny. I don't ever remember a username by the name Michael McDowell.

GDPR

"degenerated into a worthless exchange of cynical backbiting and abuse by a small group of anonymous insider contributors whose bile is largely matched by their ignorance."

He goes on: "It has become so juvenile and ill-informed that it is generally painful to read. It is the equivalent of old-fashioned graffiti on the walls of toilet cubicles."

The Dail isnt that bad, is it????

Boy M5

Ran the Ponzi Desocrats to extinction & resigned in high dudgeon at the RDS.

I recall the Phoenix cartoon strip of 10 years ago portrayed him as a ranking officer in the SS

ruserious

Makes me kind of proud to be honest. Love all you mad eejits.

Erudite Caveman

Current Senator, former Tánaiste, former Justice minister, former government party leader, former attorney general, and the Senior Council who represented the Moriarty Tribunal pro bono against Denis O'Brien and Dermot Desmond.

It's a pretty awesome CV in terms of the number of different types of roles in fairness. Back around the founding of the state you might have had similar breadth of experience, but nowadays, he is pretty much peerless.

mac tíre

If we rename a sub forum after him will he love us a bit more?

Like Michael McDowell Ate My Hamster?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies