Michael Noonan steps down - what's his legacy?

Golden Phoenix

Michael Noonan announces that he doesn't wish to be considered for the new cabinet and will not contest the next General Election.

I look forward to a robust and thorough analysis of his contribution to Irish life.

Spanner Island

He certainly excelled at insulting the Greeks for a while there.

He was good at inaccurately referring to years too... the year 2012 'twenty twelve' for example would be 'two twelve' in Noonan speak... moronic stuff from anyone but particularly from a Minister for Finance... which he persisted with regardless...

He seemed to be of the opinion that he was hilarious throughout his tenure too... lots of pithy remarks constantly emitted and digs here and there aimed at all sorts etc...

Can't say I rated his sense of humour at all... but there you go... humour is a personal thing...

Last edited:

drjimryan2

Noonan to step down

Minister for Finance Michael Noonan has announced that he will step down when the new leader is appointed.....

end of an era....so to speak......

so who will replace him in leos cabinet?......harris, coveney?....

Levellers

Revolting man. From dancing on the grave of a seriously ill woman to presiding over large scale corruption in NAMA.

cricket

I couldn't see Harris getting the finance gig.
Frances Fitzgerald ?
A snap election is also a possibility.

Volatire

Michael Noonan announces that he doesn't wish to be considered for the new cabinet and will not contest the next General Election.

I look forward to a robust and thorough analysis of his contribution to Irish life.
The Best

Noonan rescued Ireland's reputation with the EU and in international financial markets. This was critical to our subsequent recovery. He inspired and received confidence and respect internationally at a time when we deserved neither.

The worst

Thieving from private pension funds. A shocking, unforced error which violated a fundamental principle.

constitutionus

so when can the tribunals into his dealings with the vulture funds as minister for finance and the inexpliciable riches gifted them in the form of tax right off and preferential tretement start ?

:D

realistic1

Noonan was a Political Dinosaur that readily filled the nodding dog vacancy in 2011, much the same as the Political dinosaurs of the Labour leadership. Noonans only contribution was his attempt at humour and this also was a failure.

greengoose2

“You criticise me for not intervening with vulture funds. Well, it was a compliment when they were so dubbed in America because vultures, you know, carry out a very good service in the ecology. They clean up dead animals that are littered across the landscape.”

bokuden

There needs to be a general election, if there's going to be a wholesale change.

Betson

Who is likely to be the next minster of Finance?

Pascal O'Donoghue seems the most obvious choice but there will be a reluctance to move him form his current portfolio given the all public sector pay talks coming up.

If Leo gets the main gig it could Coveny be the next Finance minister?

Spanner Island

There needs to be a general election, if there's going to be a wholesale change.
Why?

Whatever chance Kenny & Co. might have of getting us as reasonable a Brexit outcome as possible... the rest would have even less chance imo...

They don't have the connections. They haven't got anyone that comes close to Kenny's longevity and experience in relation to the EU etc.

And never forget it was the eFFing traitors who had their arses handed to them on a plate by the Troika when the sh!t hit the fan and who went on to propose the introduction of water charges...

Do you really think Mehole & Co. would be any more effective than they were then? I know I don't.

And as for the rest of them... the SF'ers, Lab, Indies, PBP etc. etc.

The sad fact is FG are probably our best bet wrt Brexit.

Kenny's successor should create a Minister for Brexit and ask Kenny to do it in the national interest.

Orbit v2

He certainly excelled at insulting the Greeks for a while there.

He was good at inaccurately referring to years too... the year 2012 'twenty twelve' for example would be 'two twelve' in Noonan speak... moronic stuff from anyone but particularly from a Minister for Finance... which he persisted with regardless...
That was really annoying. It's interesting to hear other people who have picked up the same habit, from him presumably, as if adopting someone else's mannerisms, makes some of their "gravitas" rub off on you.

Joe Duffy does it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies