Michael Noonan tells RTE people are fearful for their bank accounts

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
In a clip on RTE Nine News on the economy, Fine Gael Finance Spokesman Michael Noonan said that people were fearful for their bank accounts.

Is this the first time this has been mentioned in recent times, and if so, is Noonan using loose language that could cause (further) panic?

Noonan was quoted by Sky News and others today on the inevitability of a bailout, he's being listened to internationally, what impact could his words have domestically?

corelli

He is telling the truth. No point soft soaping it. People are very afraid the banks might go to the wall. I know many people who have taken their funds out and invested them in the Post Office, for instance.

neiphin

mayor
i have a few quid, not a lot, squirreled away, where should i put it ?|
where is the safest place to put my wages ?

wombat

mayor
i have a few quid, not a lot, squirreled away, where should i put it ?|
where is the safest place to put my wages ?
Better contact Bertie;)

Mister men

He's just stating the obvious to be fair. A lot of people have their cash out of the Irish banks long ago it's just the ordinary Joe or Jane on the street who does'nt understand what's going on that's gonna get screwed over.

spotty

Spotty's parents withdrew any substantial sums they had today, leaving only enough to clear their direct debits.

turdsl

There is no truth coming from the government we are unstable, no credibility.
Noonan was very serious when he made that statement. I do not believe he was playing politics.

anlkestony

Fair play to Noonan for some badly needed straight talking. Lenihan Cowen et al continue to keep spinning.

Have feck all in banks so not worried myself. The end game begins.

Machdaddy

AIB are in huge trouble.so i wouldnt leave it there anywho.wonder if the post office still do th oul squirrel savings stamps?

Grumpy Jack

After all the lies, bullsh1t and spin from FF ministers, it's good to hear some honesty from a senior politician. Noonan is running rings round this govt.

Makes one think, where would we be now if in 2002 we had elected Noonan and Quinn instead of Ahern and Harney...

McDave

In a clip on RTE Nine News on the economy, Fine Gael Finance Spokesman Michael Noonan said that people were fearful for their bank accounts.

Is this the first time this has been mentioned in recent times, and if so, is Noonan using loose language that could cause (further) panic?

Noonan was quoted by Sky News and others today on the inevitability of a bailout, he's being listened to internationally, what impact could his words have domestically?
Do you seriously think people with substantial savings are not worried about the possibility, no matter how remote, of Ireland being forced out of the Eurozone, or the possibility, no matter how remote, of a core Eurozone emerging if contagion spreads to Spain and even Italy?

There's only so far pulling on the green jersey will get you - if it ever actually got us anywhere! When people in a position to act to protect their hard-earned cash do so, I take my hat off to them. They owe the rest of us (many who incidentally want mortgage digouts for their own lousy decisions) nothing.

DCon

Isn't it fortunate that not 1 depositor in Anglo lost as much as a penny, while people in AIB and BOI could lose their savings..

corelli

AIB are in huge trouble.so i wouldnt leave it there anywho.wonder if the post office still do th oul squirrel savings stamps?
Savings certificates are a great investment. Keep away from prize bonds though. Unless you win, annually, to the rate of inflation or beyond, you are actually loosing money.

New Threads

Most Replies