Michael O'Flynn is suing Lucinda Creighton for defamation: Mail

gijoe

The front page story in the Mail on Sunday is that Cork developer Michael O'Flynn is suing Lucinda Creighton for defamation as a result of comments she made about FG accepting donations from a developer who is in NAMA. Mr. O'Flynn took part in an FG fundraising golf classic at the time.

neiphin

The front page story in the Mail on Sunday is that Cork developer Michael O'Flynn is suing Lucinda Creighton for defamation as a result of comments she made about FG accepting donations from a developer who is in NAMA.
:D
stupid gobby cow

firefighter

I don't think a property developer would get much sympathy from the Irish public. Will certainly raise her profile.

Nothing like a bit of "standing up to the evil property developers" spin.

LeDroit

It's hardly her fault. She can hardly be expected to know the intricacies of defamation law, I mean she has no legal training. . . Oh wait.

Ministerial material my hoop.

corelli

I don't think a property developer would get much sympathy from the Irish public. Will certainly raise her profile.

Nothing like a bit of "standing up to the evil property developers" spin.
One doubts very much that the Judge hearing it will give much of a damn about public opinion. It will also empty her pockets if he wins.

Catalpa

The front page story in the Mail on Sunday is that Cork developer Michael O'Flynn is suing Lucinda Creighton for defamation as a result of comments she made about FG accepting donations from a developer who is in NAMA.
Interesting - but unlikely to succeed as NAMA is a legally constituted body

People are not 'defamed' by having loans transferred from one creditor to another.

- unless of course this individual made no contribution to FGs coffers

- and he considers any contact with that Party to be er...Toxic!:oops:

firefighter

She'd better win this case!

Otherwise her reputation as a barrister will be ruined. Of course she's on a fast-track to being the first woman Taoiseach, so nothing to worry about eh?

Ah Well

One doubts very much that the Judge hearing it will give much of a damn about public opinion. It will also empty her pockets if he wins.
Ah she can save some bit on legal fees by representing herself ;)

firefighter

She might have to postpone the big day... Countless frustrated young FGers all over the country will be delighted.

LeDroit

She'd better win this case!

Otherwise her reputation as a barrister will be ruined. Of course she's on a fast-track to being the first woman Taoiseach, so nothing to worry about eh?
Luckily she'll be full-time in the wig by 2012 so her earnings should cover it.

gijoe

Interesting - but unlikely to succeed as NAMA is a legally constituted body

People are not 'defamed' by having loans transferred from one creditor to another.

- unless of course this individual made no contribution to FGs coffers

- and he considers any contact with that Party to be er...Toxic!:oops:
I do not want to repeat any defamation but I think he may be suing her because her comments were to the effect that by being in NAMA he himself was somewhat 'toxic' or of a lesser character. Or some such argument.

corelli

Its a Jury in the HC isn't it?
Yes, but the Judge will have to direct the Jury on the applicable law. And the first thing they will say, no doubt, is to ignore public opinion etc etc.

I think the issue here is that this particular developer has actual performing loans. Implying he is unworthy to be invited to a FG event is not a very smart move on Lucinda's part.

I can imagine the radiant smile emanating from a certain part of Mayo this morning!!

corelli

Luckily she'll be full-time in the wig by 2012 so her earnings should cover it.
I can't see people lining up to employ her after recent performances.

LeDroit

Sync

Catalpa

I do not want to repeat any defamation but I think he may be suing her because her comments were to the effect that by being in NAMA he himself was somewhat 'toxic' or of a lesser character. Or some such argument.
If its a Jury that decides I wouldn't be so sure about that one!

Is not the onus of proof on the claimant in a Defamation Trial?

Tomas Mor

It's hardly her fault. She can hardly be expected to know the intricacies of defamation law, I mean she has no legal training. . . Oh wait.

Ministerial material my hoop.

Lucy is a titular barrister . I hope Flynn wins and puts an end to career of this upstart.

Last edited:

corelli

If its a Jury that decides I wouldn't be so sure about that one!

Is not the onus of proof on the claimant in a Defamation Trial?
Sort of. Initially the Plaintiff must prove that the words complained of are defamatory, in their ordinary meaning. If that is accomplished, the burden moves to the Defendant who must then advance one of the acceptable defenses in order to defeat the claim.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies