• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Michaela Harte / McAreaveys Family sue Legends Hotel for €1.6m

What the Fug

Where are they getting 1.6 million Euros from, and in which location are they going to sue the company

Aindriu

Surely this is entirely pointless? The money will not bring her back or replace her and may well bankrupt the hotel and/or its owners. If they want to sue any organisation then it should be the incompetent police force who completely screwed up the investigation and tried to create a fall guy by forcing a confession using torture.

Fullforward

Where are they getting 1.6 million Euros from, and in which location are they going to sue the company
I'd imagine that their legal team would have come to that figure after adding up such things as loss of earnings, personal loss etc etc.

mr. jings

Whatever about the court case and any award of damages, this is certainly manna for all the newspapers who have been milking this tragedy to the max.

Fullforward

Surely this is entirely pointless? The money will not bring her back or replace her and may well bankrupt the hotel and/or its owners. If they want to sue any organisation then it should be the incompetent police force who completely screwed up the investigation and tried to create a fall guy by forcing a confession using torture.
Good point, I'd like to know more about the foundation and it's work. Someone told me that one of the events during a weekend gathering of young people in memory of her in Tyrone included a session on "Rosary Appreciation".

Last edited:

Northtipp

Perhaps they should sue both. I'd have sued the hotel alright. the donation of any compensatory award if received is to be admired. I think depending upon what way the law works I'd have sued the hotel as the first defendant. I would then leave it up to the first defendant to have the police force joined as a co-defendant if they so choose. That way the family save on potential costs should they lose.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I'd imagine that their legal team would have come to that figure after adding up such things as loss of earnings, personal loss etc etc.
And 1.6 million euros just happens to be approximately 2 million US Dollars.

SilverSpurs

If the hotel failed in its duty of care to its guests then they may well have a case. I am not familiar with Mauritian law so I don't know what duty of care hotels have in this regard.
Surely this case would have to depend upon determining the cause of Michaela's death upon a balance of probabilities i.e. will they try to get the two acquitted hotel workers found "responsible" for her death and then seek compensation from the hotel for the actions of their employees?
However this echoes of the civil case taken by the Goldmans against the Juice to effectively replay his criminal trial which didn't deliver the "right" verdict. That civil case was high farce at its very worst. As such I would not support any attempt by Michaela's family to replay the criminal trial so the "right" verdict is reached.

pippakin

Sad but hard to know if its part of an attempt to keep her memory alive but the Hartes-McAreaveys are not the first to experience such shocking tragedy.

The hotel is responsible for ensuring the honesty of all applications for employment but I'm not sure they can be held liable if someone becomes a criminal after starting to work them, even if it is possible to prove an employee was responsible I'm not sure that makes the hotel liable.

I think a case against the police might be provable, there does appear to have been neglect.

cricket

Given the sometimes bizarre conduct during the murder trial, who's to say how a civil action will end up.

Estragon

Bankrupting the hotel would be a good day's work.

Limerick Lad

Very tacky
Why is it tacky, if Michaela Harte had been killed in a plane crash or knocked down crossing the road, wouldn't her family have been entitled to sue for damages and seek compensation for her loss.
Is it your opinion that anyone who sues for damages is "tacky" or is your opprobrium only to be heaped on the family of Michaela Harte.