Micheál Martin wants simple repeal of the 8th amendment

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
There'll be ructions, apparently.

Micheál Martin announced yesterday that his personal opinion was that the 8th Amendment should be simply repealed and, if I understand him correctly, that abortion should be unrestricted for the first 12 weeks of a pregnancy.

The backbench is by all accounts going to hit the roof.

My cynical side suggests that the hullabaloo over this is exaggerated and that Martin has, as usual, seen the way the wind is blowing. My more charitable side (rarely exercised in relation to Fianna Fáil) urges me to say fair play to him.

What do other posters think?

'War' to follow in Fianna Fáil over Martin's abortion stance | The Irish Times

Analyzer

This is dangerous.

I mean I don't want the corrupt maFFia to get rid of Meehaul 'the developers money is just restin in the wife's account' Martin.

MM is a reminder of the Bertie Binge and the imFF gang might rebound if they got rid of him.

showbandmanager

Micheál Martin announced yesterday that his personal opinion was that the 8th Amendment should be simply repealed and, if I understand him correctly, that abortion should be unrestricted for the first 12 weeks of a pregnancy.

My cynical side suggests that the hullabaloo over this is exaggerated and that Martin has, as usual, seen the way the wind is blowing. My more charitable side (rarely exercised in relation to Fianna Fáil) urges me to say fair play to him.

The cynic in me says that he's seen which way the wind blows and also a chance to get out there and be decisive while Leo dithers.

Maybe i'm being harsh , but whatever the reason i'm glad he did it .

statsman

I think he's been watching the weather forecast and could see the wind direction wasn't changing.

drjimryan2

will it be a case of 'follow the leader' or the leader goes it alone....?

interesting times ahead........

Socratus O' Pericles

Billy Kelleher right for once?
The party’s health spokesman Billy Kelleher denied this would divide the party or cause ructions.
Leo, ragin’.

Toland

Website
The cynic in me says that he's seen which way the wind blows and also a chance to get out there and be decisive while Leo dithers.

Maybe i'm being harsh , but whatever the reason i'm glad he did it .
I'd say the chance of getting one over on Leo is pretty high on his list of priorities, alright.

Socratus O' Pericles

I think he's been watching the weather forecast and could see the wind direction wasn't changing.
Which is more than Varadksr the sure footed could manage. Harris stole Leo’s thunder.

Catalpast

He's too wily an Operator to hand Leo a Victory on a plate

Another line of reasoning is that he knows there is no chance of Abortion on Demand being passed

- but this way the people who want it

- can blame him for its failure....

Emily Davison

I say this is fantastic news. And I don't care why he's come out with this viewpoint. We have come now so far in such a relatively short period of time and it's about time we stopped sending our Irish women to the uk. A 12 week limit is going to cover the vast majority of abortions. Which are happening anyway.

Toland

Website
I say this is fantastic news. And I don't care why he's come out with this viewpoint. We have come now so far in such a relatively short period of time and it's about time we stopped sending our Irish women to the uk. A 12 week limit is going to cover the vast majority of abortions. Which are happening anyway.
I agree completely. But I'm also interested to what extent he's being brave and principled and to what extent he's playing the game he plays so well.

Emily Davison

I agree completely. But I'm also interested to what extent he's being brave and principled and to what extent he's playing the game he plays so well.

He's just being a politician. Don't they play the game well. It's the nature of the job. If they were brave and principled they would have dealt with this issue years ago.

statsman

Which is more than Varadksr the sure footed could manage. Harris stole Leo’s thunder.
Let's wait and see what the FF backwoodsmen say before jumping to that conclusion.

Last edited:

darkhorse

FF have lost the debate on the economy and the North - their traditional strong points
They have nowhere else to go now but into banality

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
He does'nt want to alienate the new tribes of young voters just dying to vote for those who bust the country and left a wasteland for them...seriously, queuing out the door to vote for fine fail.

New Threads

Most Replies