• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

StormWarning

Last edited:
Last edited:
The disasterous Sunday Buisness Post poll, showing FF on 10% and a negligble 4% in Dublin, has roused Éamon Ó'Cuív to decry that the battering his party is enduring is "existential".
A month back the - more appealing to Dublin's electorate - influential backbencher Jim O'Callaghan expressed his desire to lead Fianna Fáil.

The knives are out for Micheál who must be under unbearable pressure, with no respite in sight as the Covid menace threatens the economy and a reinvigorated FG relish the prospects of another election. It may well be a personal relief if he is relieved of the burden of Taoiseach and FF hope that a fresh, post Bertie face can revive their fortunes.

Sidewindered

It's really only a matter of time before he makes a complete balls of either some development with Brexit; some development in the north; both at once; or some catastrophic 26-internal policy failure in health or housing.

I don't think FF have a future except for some maybe some minor party of rural conservative gombeens but the remaining (increasingly elderly) faithful still Believe in FF as some sort of National Movement and given Martin's personal attitudes and tone-deaf political incompetence his days are numbered.

de valera's' giddy goat

People said FG were finished too earlier this century. That didn't pan out. But Enda Kenny seemed like a skilled grassroots operator for his party to get them moving again. Martin is completely rudderless. And he has numerous backbenchers sniping at him. I'm not convinced O'Callaghan would appeal to rural voters at all. The one thing that might bounce FF numbers is a female leader, but i'm not seeing anyone of a high caliber in that persuasion either.

StormWarning

u
People said FG were finished too earlier this century. That didn't pan out. But Enda Kenny seemed like a skilled grassroots operator for his party to get them moving again. Martin is completely rudderless. And he has numerous backbenchers sniping at him. I'm not convinced O'Callaghan would appeal to rural voters at all. The one thing that might bounce FF numbers is a female leader, but i'm not seeing anyone of a high caliber in that persuasion either.
Martin still seems to be suffering from the shellshock that traumatised him in February. We have a hollowed out Taoiseach at a dangerous juncture when we must navigate covid and the deranged Brexit supremacists.

Fullforward

Martin got what he wanted, Taoiseach , so he does not care what Young Dev says.
And THAT says everything about Martin, FF and FG. ALL and ONLY about themselves, fúck the National interest. Which is more important, some new kidney dialysis machines or an Aide De Camp for Leo? Simons shiney new car or some cochlear implants?

FF/FG.................Working for you...........NOT

jmcc

Wonder if Mary O'Rourke would have anythng to say about it? :) Seriously though, a female leader of FF would not help at this stage. O'Callaghan is the son of a rural Garda, so I think so he's not quite a Jackeen. He is a much better media performer than the leath-taoiseach Mehole.

The only thing that can save Mehole Martin is the resumption of face to face polling by other pollsters with them showing FF around 15% to 21%. Mehole's fate will be linked to the next Ipsos/MRBI poll using F2F polling. If that confirms FF at or near 10%, FF will have to move against Mehole purely out of self preservation. Such a move might also have a knock-on effect with the stability of the Covid coalition. The Meholers in FF will try to scare the others about an election but Mehole could end up as Cowen 2.0 in that he would be leath-taoiseach but not leader of FF.

RelentlessApathy!

Micheál will survive, he is the living cockroach of the FF nuclear apocalypse.

GrimReefer

Martin's failure to rein in Leo's outspokenness was his undoing.

Who's in charge anyway?

redneck

FF are not finished. They are in a lucky position really. In that both F.G and S.F need them, well at the moment for government.
FF as far as I can see have two options:
1. Merge completely with Fine Gael. And probably lose the name Fianna Fáil. This would be imho the choice of the parlimentry party.
2. Go into power with Sinn Féin after next election. This will not happen with M.Martin at the helm. But FF grassroots would probably prefer it.

Gin Soaked

Self, Party, Country.....................The FF way.
To be fair, that would be at least a plan. They are utterly failing to look after party, "self" is debatable, "country" is not possible.

It's as if the Taoiseach's office is now mostly ceremonial like the president's.

Gin Soaked

FF are not finished. They are in a lucky position really. In that both F.G and S.F need them, well at the moment for government.
FF as far as I can see have two options:
1. Merge completely with Fine Gael. And probably lose the name Fianna Fáil. This would be imho the choice of the parlimentry party.
2. Go into power with Sinn Féin after next election. This will not happen with M.Martin at the helm. But FF grassroots would probably prefer it.
Agreed, but you know you have just consigned them to the trajectory of Lab and the PD's.

That is some downgrading of the natural party of government, and a national movement.

And that's a "strong position"?

GrimReefer

The poll does seem to imply a very long wavelength dead cat bounce finally hitting home.

Perhaps there was a transfer of momentum to the Shinners.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom