• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mickey Harte - Your 15 minutes have elapsed.

drummed

Is it just me or this man, a gaelic football manager afterall, getting a bit ahead of himself? He seems to be attracted to drama and publicity at every possible opportunity and has an inbuilt need to pontificate on every possible issue.
He seems to have an opinion on everything from penalty points to religion and insists on telling the rest of us about it.
Previously famous for his support of the Quinns in the border region he has recently taken to speaking at religious meetings and offering his personal insights into pretty much every subject under the sun.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mickey+harte&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEcQqQIwAw&url=http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mickey-harte-to-speak-at-eucharistic-gathering-596134.html&ei=icqrUcyJEIKy7AaixoCoCg&usg=AFQjCNHSpITSrICxsz1cfO99Af8qU-XK3Q

Apart from the fact that i personally have every sympathy for his situation following his daughters death i find his constant use of his fame to sermonise a bit tiring and rather strange. He is supposed to be managing a football team and apart from his daughters death and sports experience what qualifications does he have to instruct anybody?

Would he not be better concentrating on his team who are'nt looking like world beaters lately?
Are those who appointed him not concerned all his additional activity in attempting to fix all the worlds troubles is distracting from his actual task of managing a team?
Is it ok for a GAA manager to continually intervene in national affairs and is his opinion relevant to anybody?
I don't hear Brian Cody commenting on every passing news story and if he did i suspect Kilkenny County Board would tell him to look after his team and keep his political opinions to himself. And rightly so.
Why does Mickey imagine his never ending stream of commentary on all matters is of interest to us?
Should he be attending politicaly charged events like those in support of the Quinns?

Does anybody know? Does anybody care?
I don't care a great deal myself, i'm just mystified by his recent prominence.

Zerubbabel

Mickey Harte has certainly gone through more in life than most people ever will.

I for one am interested in his real life honest opinions, and value them far more than any lying Irish politicians.

That does not mean anyone has to agree with any, or all of his opinions.

The media seem to be interested as well, they keep asking him, and keep reporting them.

If you're not interested, don't read them, and change the channel. Simples.

Last edited:

linny55

Is it just me or this man, a gaelic football manager afterall, getting a bit ahead of himself? He seems to be attracted to drama and publicity at every possible opportunity and has an inbuilt need to pontificate on every possible issue.
He seems to have an opinion on everything from penalty points to religion and insists on telling the rest of us about it.
Previously famous for his support of the Quinns in the border region he has recently taken to speaking at religious meetings and offering his personal insights into pretty much every subject under the sun.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mickey+harte&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEcQqQIwAw&url=http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mickey-harte-to-speak-at-eucharistic-gathering-596134.html&ei=icqrUcyJEIKy7AaixoCoCg&usg=AFQjCNHSpITSrICxsz1cfO99Af8qU-XK3Q

Apart from the fact that i personally have every sympathy for his situation following his daughters death i find his constant use of his fame to sermonise a bit tiring and rather strange. He is supposed to be managing a football team and apart from his daughters death and sports experience what qualifications does he have to instruct anybody?

Would he not be better concentrating on his team who are'nt looking like world beaters lately?
Are those who appointed him not concerned all his additional activity in attempting to fix all the worlds troubles is distracting from his actual task of managing a team?
Is it ok for a GAA manager to continually intervene in national affairs and is his opinion relevant to anybody?
I don't hear Brian Cody commenting on every passing news story and if he did i suspect Kilkenny County Board would tell him to look after his team and keep his political opinions to himself. And rightly so.
Why does Mickey imagine his never ending stream of commentary on all matters is of interest to us?
Should he be attending politicaly charged events like those in support of the Quinns?

sincerely doubt that anyone would tell Cody what to do. Have you ever heard of freedom of speech.

dresden8

Man in news has opinion. Let us fawn over his wisdom.

Boll1x.

ard san aer

I find Mickey Harte to be a really inspiring individual. Surely his opinion is as valid as anyone else's?

Kitty O'Shea

Who?? My father used to call the GAA the Grab All Association :)

dresden8

I find Mickey Harte to be a really inspiring individual. Surely his opinion is as valid as anyone else's?
"Anyone else's" opinion is neither sought nor touted around as basic home truths from a simple man, dealing with triumph and tragedy in a sagacious way.

de valera's' giddy goat

methinks he's aiming for a career in politics

drummed

Mickey Harte has more life experience than most.

I for one am interested in his real life honest opinions, and value them more than any lying Irish politician.

The media seem to be interested as well, and they report it. If they are not interested, why do they keep asking him ?

If you're not, don't read them, and change channel.
Everyone has life experience. Some much worse than even his. My point is if he wants to have his views aired take up journalism and qiut football. Brian Cody has very strong views on lots of topics too. Its not his job or his place to air them while being a county manager.
It confuses the line between sport and politics. If Brian wants to tell us about all his great ideas he'll resign and be free to talk at will.

Mickey takes overtly political positions on many issues, is this acceptable for a sports manager?

drummed

Indeed. But no more valid than anyone elses? When did he last win the All-Ireland? When did Brian Cody last lose one? Who's doing the managing and who's becoming a publicity pony?

jackryan

He is entitled to his say just like any of us!

Although might be better trying to concentrate on winning Tyrone an all-Ireland again.

drummed

He is entitled to his say just like any of us!

Although might be better trying to concentrate on winning Tyrone an all-Ireland again.
If you were the Tyrone county board would you be ecstatic at present? I would be furious to be honest.

Zerubbabel

Everyone has life experience. Some much worse than even his. My point is if he wants to have his views aired take up journalism and qiut football. Brian Cody has very strong views on lots of topics too. Its not his job or his place to air them while being a county manager.
It confuses the line between sport and politics. If Brian wants to tell us about all his great ideas he'll resign and be free to talk at will.

Mickey takes overtly political positions on many issues, is this acceptable for a sports manager?
The media ask him the questions and he answers the questions, and the media report them.

He doesn't ask to be interviewed or reported.

If you don't like it, don't read it, change the channel

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Ye drummed - ur right who does Mickey Harte think he is having an opinion and doing more than banging on an iPad about it...

He really should keep his opinions to himself

drummed

The media ask him the questions and he answers the questions, and the media report them.

He doesn't ask to be interviewed or reported.

If you don't like it, don't read it, change the channel
The Meeja did'nt take him to wexford to chat at the Bishops conference too did they:confused:

Disillusioned democrat

I think that's the point...his opinion is just about as valid as anyone else's, but you don't have to listen to everyone else. The media seem to have over-compensated for/hijacked his circumstances and now he's the conscience/Oracle of "middle-Ireland".

Zerubbabel

I don't know many people who had such a successful all Ireland career and had their daughter murdered on honeymoon, and then watch the trial collapse in a foreign country. In the scale of things, Zig and Zag's opinions and Brendan O'Conner's get far more coverage than Mickey Harte, so if you don't like, don't read, change the channel.