• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mickey Mac TD backs Shorthall on Clare FM

Clanrickard

I heard Michael McNamara TD on Clare FM this morning. John Cooke asked him if he agreed with Roisín Shorthall that the tax on lump sum pensions payments could have been higher and maybe Kenny and Gilmore were loath to so do because they will shortly be receiving same. He agreed. Also he sounded very iffy on whether he would vote or not with the government. He is a recent recruit to Labour so could he be thinking of a swift jump to Shorthall and the others? He said like a lot of Labour TDs I have heard that he is going to lobby for changes. If he jumps it will continue the disastrous tradition of successful Labour public representatives going independent.

Sierra

It would not surprise me if he jumps overboard soon. He is coming under severe strain in Clare. The Garda station closures, which disproportionately hit Clare and Galway, will also greatly add to his woes.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It would not surprise me if he jumps overboard soon. He is coming under severe strain in Clare. The Garda station closures, which disproportionately hit Clare and Galway, will also greatly add to his woes.
There is no Labour base in Clare, he simply got in based on dissatisfaction with FF. Being associated with Labour has turned into a liability for rural TDs where there is no Labour support base. They won't want to go down on the Good Ship Gilmore so they may jump ship prior to the election.

meriwether

I heard Michael McNamara TD on Clare FM this morning. John Cooke asked him if he agreed with Roisín Shorthall that the tax on lump sum pensions payments could have been higher and maybe Kenny and Gilmore were loath to so do because they will shortly be receiving same. He agreed. Also he sounded very iffy on whether he would vote or not with the government. He is a recent recruit to Labour so could he be thinking of a swift jump to Shorthall and the others? He said like a lot of Labour TDs I have heard that he is going to lobby for changes. If he jumps it will continue the disastrous tradition of successful Labour public representatives going independent.
It doesn't get any more puerile than that.

Is there any financial policy whatsoever that could be introduced or not introduced that couldn't conceviably benefit Kenny and Gilmore in some way?

Rufty

There is no Labour base in Clare, he simply got in based on dissatisfaction with FF. Being associated with Labour has turned into a liability for rural TDs where there is no Labour support base. They won't want to go down on the Good Ship Gilmore so they may jump ship prior to the election.
That and his own personal image has taken a pounding as of late:
Or You Can Do It This Way | Broadsheet.ie

I doubt jumping ship would be enough to save him in the county. At the time of writing it appears the 4th seat will be a toss up between FG, FF and A.N.Other Independent that may come out of the woodwork.

lying eyes

How Labour can support these cuts is amazing. Most low paid families will be hardest hit. Child ben- car tax- property tax-school allowance. If they take a drink or smoke that is their choice, but all others are not optional. Water charges are on the way. This time next year we will face the same again. So people will have to act now or face disaster over the next two years alone. People now know that if one is on low pay, Labour will not defend you, alas they will screw you.

Pink Panther

McNamara is right though. Why were the tax changes to high-end pensions delayed for a year?

This has all the hall-marks of senior civil servants delaying a measure that impacts them directly. It worked a few years ago with benefit in kind on free car-parking, and this looks like another try-on.

realistic1

He may be genuine or else angling for some additional appointment to boards etc.

sport02

Maybe join Roisin and co in forming a breakaway splinter Labour party.

Crazy horse 6

The more is see whats in this shocking budget the more i see a lot of trouble ahead for labour in the next few days. It is simply savage on the working poor and coping classes. If the Labour party don't take a stand now they are finished.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
That and his own personal image has taken a pounding as of late:
Or You Can Do It This Way | Broadsheet.ie

I doubt jumping ship would be enough to save him in the county. At the time of writing it appears the 4th seat will be a toss up between FG, FF and A.N.Other Independent that may come out of the woodwork.
There's no way FG will take 3 out of 4. It's FF or Others.

Amnesiac

The Labour party organisation represents the best chance of Shortall et al influencing policy. Setting up a new left of centre party to compete with SF, ULA, SP, and independents is a bad idea. Open rebellion against the party leadership would be a start. They need a leader people don't completely hate. Shortall would be a nice candidate.

Skrynesaver

The Labour party organisation represents the best chance of Shortall et al influencing policy. Setting up a new left of centre party to compete with SF, ULA, SP, and independents is a bad idea. Open rebellion against the party leadership would be a start. They need a leader people don't completely hate. Shortall would be a nice candidate.
With Shortall, Mcnamara, Penrose, Nulty and Broughan - if it was put to them who do you think would represent the membership of the party.

meriwether

Add Penrose, Nulty, Broughton and you have the basis of a real Labour party that actually has the interests of the poor and vulnerable on their agenda.
You wouldn't vote for them in a million years though, would you?

Amnesiac

With Shortall, Mcnamara, Penrose, Nulty and Broughan - if it was put to them who do you think would represent the membership of the party.
I don't know if I follow you. Are you asking who would lead a new party or who would lead an internal rebellion? In either case, I would choose Shortall. She would be a decent bet to prevent a Labour catastrophe, or to attract votes in a new party. I think the left/centre-left is too crowded for a new party though.