• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mid Ulster by election

Dame_Enda

The polls have only been open a few hours. The count starts after polls close at 10 today though.

Just Jack

Far from uniting unionists, I reckon this Lutton fella will achieve an embarrassing total, perhaps between 10,000 or 12,000.

InsideImDancing

Have to agree, he might even come third, behind Sinn Féin. ;)
How close are the SDLP here? Do you see them making any gains on last time? I reckon they might make a little gain, a see a few SF voters not bothering to turn out, but they will win.

devonish

How close are the SDLP here? Do you see them making any gains on last time? I reckon they might make a little gain, a see a few SF voters not bothering to turn out, but they will win.
Will be interesting to see if many unionists lend their vote to the SDLP, it's what I would do if I lived in mid ulster (not an area that appeals so most unlikely).

Just Jack

I expect the Provos to rump home tbh

Can't see anything other than a comfortable Francie win.

belfast1981

Don't see anyone other than SF winning this seat. Lutton will scrape 3rd at best I think. Maybe 4th if Alliance get a good turn out.

InsideImDancing

Don't see anyone other than SF winning this seat. Lutton will scrape 3rd at best I think. Maybe 4th if Alliance get a good turn out.
SF to rump home with Lutton second. Admittedly I haven't much of a clue about the intricacies of these things, but I think Marty polled over 50% last time.

Fra_south_Derry

Turnout will probably be in the 55-60% region. In 2010 in south Derry the turnout was lower in unionists areas than nationalist ones so it'll be interesting what effect if any the joint unionist candidate has.

Fra_south_Derry

SF to rump home with Lutton second. Admittedly I haven't much of a clue about the intricacies of these things, but I think Marty polled over 50% last time.
Without McGuinness running I'd expect Molloy to get around 47/48 % of the vote although Pasty is popular and comes from the green wing of the sdlp.

InsideImDancing

Turnout will probably be in the 55-60% region. In 2010 in south Derry the turnout was lower in unionists areas than nationalist ones so it'll be interesting what effect if any the joint unionist candidate has.
I would have imagined turnout would be much lower, 40-50%, as I was saying though, I don't follow the details of these things much.

belfast1981

The only way I can see Lutton doing well is if Unionists come out vote in mass. Unionists have had low turn outs in some areas in the past, and I think the 'flag issue' may well see them come out and vote for the first time in a long time. Still see SF winning by a good margin though.

belfast1981

Just doing the math based on 2010.

SF got 52% of the vote with 21,239 votes
The 3 Unionist parties combined got 32.5% of the vote with 13380 votes

Interesting to note SF got less votes in 2010 than they did in 2005 but still got a higher % of the vote in total.

DUP dropped nearly 5000 votes between 2005 and 2010 and lost 9.1% of their voters from 2005

Mid Ulster (UK Parliament constituency) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dame_Enda

Could be an interesting test of the Irish/Northern Irish theory. If the SDLP perform stronger than expected or even win the seat, it would be confirmed.

Fra_south_Derry

Not really. Pasty is as green as they get in the sdlp.

The only issue that would cost SF dear in a place like this was if they endorsed a more liberal abortion position.

devonish

Could be an interesting test of the Irish/Northern Irish theory. If the SDLP perform stronger than expected or even win the seat, it would be confirmed.
If SF have polled around 50% in the past then the result is a foregone conclusion. The only interesting bit will be whether there is any form of shift in voter patterns, rather unexciting as far as by elections go.

Dame_Enda

If SF have polled around 50% in the past then the result is a foregone conclusion. The only interesting bit will be whether there is any form of shift in voter patterns, rather unexciting as far as by elections go.
The outcome is likely to be a SF win, but it will be interesting to see if there is a shift to the more moderate Nationalism of the SDLP. It could help confirm whether the growing partitionism seen in the Spotlight poll has any basis in reality.

shantykelly

Might be wrong, but I don't think there'll be a shift to the SDLP; they're pretty rudderless at the minute. Then again, all politics is local, and I've no idea as to the work being done on the ground by the SDLP.