• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Midlands-Northwest EU Constituency: Discussion & Predictions

Dame_Enda

Its what I was hearing some saying at the time. In Roscommon-Galway, Higgins led Casey by around 4300 votes, but I remember someone in the media or online saying Casey seemed to be ahead in Roscommon. Given Galway West is the main population centre in the constituency, I think its a fair bet that the Roscommon part of the constituency, which is more conservative, would have had more votes for Casey than for Higgins but thats speculation.

Full list of constituency results as Michael D Higgins re-elected

neiphin

Yes its important, this is Ireland we are talking about.
I would vote for my favourite candidate no matter where they come from as it's about the quality of the candidate in the EU elections. But there are many many people who will vote for or give a high preference to their most local candidate.
In a previous post you said Maria Walsh because she was from mayo

Fg have no chance of 2
Have you factored in Casey?

SweenyTodd

Any news of a prolife candidate?

DJP

Its what I was hearing some saying at the time. In Roscommon-Galway, Higgins led Casey by around 4300 votes, but I remember someone in the media or online saying Casey seemed to be ahead in Roscommon. Given Galway West is the main population centre in the constituency, I think its a fair bet that the Roscommon part of the constituency, which is more conservative, would have had more votes for Casey than for Higgins but thats speculation.

Full list of constituency results as Michael D Higgins re-elected
There are two Galway constituencies and I think the Roscommon-Galway constituency from the Galway end is mostly rural. I think Galway City is in Galway West? Anyway Roscommon voted Yes in the last referendum- I think being the only constituency (but not county) to vote No in the Gay Marriage referendum came across as an unpleasant shock to most people in the county, including a lot of people who voted No. :)

SweenyTodd

There are two Galway constituencies and I think the Roscommon-Galway constituency from the Galway end is mostly rural. I think Galway City is in Galway West? Anyway Roscommon voted Yes in the last referendum- I think being the only constituency (but not county) to vote No in the Gay Marriage referendum came across as an unpleasant shock to most people in the county, including a lot of people who voted No. :)
Roscommon was the county that voted No to Marriage Equality. Galway City voted heavily in favour of Gay Marriage.

DJP

Roscommon was the county that voted No to Marriage Equality. Galway City voted heavily in favour of Gay Marriage.
According to a column I read in a Roscommon paper after that result- the columnist (can't remember his name) said that around 3 other counties voted against gay marriage also, but the latter 3 constituencies of which they were apart overall voted Yes.

SweenyTodd

Galway East Yes 53.3% No 46.7%

Galway West Yes 61.5% No 38.5%

DJP

SweenyTodd

There is no sole Roscommon county constituency and I know that the Roscommon-Galway constituency voted no. My point was that around 3 other counties as well as Roscommon voted no also (the overall constituencies of which they were a part votes yes though). That map is wrong.
Why did Roscommon-South Leitrim vote No?

the secretary

In a previous post you said Maria Walsh because she was from mayo

Fg have no chance of 2
Have you factored in Casey?
I never said FG will get 2. They will only get 1.
Casey was supposed to announce months ago that He was running but then said he was running in the GE so I thought that was the end of that.

Baron von Biffo

Yes its important, this is Ireland we are talking about.
I would vote for my favourite candidate no matter where they come from as it's about the quality of the candidate in the EU elections. But there are many many people who will vote for or give a high preference to their most local candidate.
It's not just an Irish phenomenon. You'll recall that it was an American who coined the expression "all politics is local".

We have few MEPs and the constituencies are badly drawn so, aside from party prestige at home, it probably doesn't matter who we elect. On the off chance that something might arise where our MEPs became relevant though, people in say, Louth, might reasonably ask what would a Galway city person know about how this affects me or if there's a balance to be struck between the interests of rural Donegal and Urban Galway what way will the Galway MEP vote?

Baron von Biffo

With Marian Harkin not running it gives him a chance, if he runs the campaign like he did the presidental campaign it's hard to know as the issues of travellers would not be a European issue.
With Marian Harkin not running it gives him a chance, if he runs the campaign like he did the presidental campaign it's hard to know as the issues of travellers would not be a European issue.
The Presidential election is not a reliable predictor of his prospects in a 'real' election.

On that occasion all but the most invincibly naive knew that Higgins was a shoo in and none of the other candidates was remotely credible. It was little more than blind chance that Casey was the candidate that the candidate the protest vote settled on.

A campaign against othere who have a genuine chance of being elected will be a different matter.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies