• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Midlands-Northwest EU Constituency: Discussion & Predictions

Round tower

Someone on here or the Politicalirish one compared the different populations in each consticuencies, Dublin one was way smaller than the other 2. The 3 consticuencies should be fairly even in population

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Congrats on Mc Guinness and Walsh in getting 2 seats for FG
Fantastic result for FG

McGuinness is a woman of real calibre who might well go even further in International Politics

Maria Walsh is off to a great start

While obviously not my kinda gal she is certainly a very savvy sister

One to Watch...

Last edited:

culmore

great performance by Walsh, maybe she might inspire Mayo to bring Sam home now.

Splodge

I have been saying it for the past two years. The market is there but people are afraid of being called racist and other such nonsense for taking a stand against the madness of the left. Ideally somebody not afraid of political correctness and willing to call a spade a spade. It has gone so bad that I heard of one school amending the words of the nursery rhyme 'old MacDonald had a farm' from 'and on that farm he had a ...' to ' on that farm there was a ...'. The reason given was that farming is done by both sexes and 'old Mac Donald ' could also be about a woman.Absolutely crazy bullshit.
Casey is a racist. He said it himself.

joe sod

Someone on here or the Politicalirish one compared the different populations in each consticuencies, Dublin one was way smaller than the other 2. The 3 consticuencies should be fairly even in population
Yes I mentioned it earlier that the quota in MNW constituency was 115,000 votes
but in Dublin the quota was only 73,000 to elect MEP.

Someone else replied to my post saying that the constituencies are based on population not on electorate, and that dublin has a bigger population of people not entitled to vote, foreign workers etc etc. However that calls into question the whole basis of elections, surely it should be based on the electorate not on population not entitled to vote. When you have distortions between the dublin and MNW constituency which gives a dublin voter 40% more weight than a MNW voter. That is simply wrong and undemocratic

redneck

Great result for F.G. I wish all the MEP's elected well.

Barroso

Yes I mentioned it earlier that the quota in MNW constituency was 115,000 votes
but in Dublin the quota was only 73,000 to elect MEP.

Someone else replied to my post saying that the constituencies are based on population not on electorate, and that dublin has a bigger population of people not entitled to vote, foreign workers etc etc. However that calls into question the whole basis of elections, surely it should be based on the electorate not on population not entitled to vote. When you have distortions between the dublin and MNW constituency which gives a dublin voter 40% more weight than a MNW voter. That is simply wrong and undemocratic
It also highlights the fact that we now have a large underclass of people without full political rights living in our country.
This has long been the case in many western European countries; and of course in the various ex-British colonies settled by Europeans, from the US to NZ.
One result of this is that these mostly low-waged workers cannot choose anyone to represent them in the Dáil, thereby skewing the politics of the country.
Given that Irish living abroad are not allowed to vote, I cannot see immigrants being allowed to vote (except as permitted by EU law).
It is my belief that the country becomes more right-wing as a result, as Irish people move up the ladder of relative wealth.

Breanainn

It also highlights the fact that we now have a large underclass of people without full political rights living in our country.
This has long been the case in many western European countries; and of course in the various ex-British colonies settled by Europeans, from the US to NZ.
One result of this is that these mostly low-waged workers cannot choose anyone to represent them in the Dáil, thereby skewing the politics of the country.
Given that Irish living abroad are not allowed to vote, I cannot see immigrants being allowed to vote (except as permitted by EU law).
It is my belief that the country becomes more right-wing as a result, as Irish people move up the ladder of relative wealth.
Isn't that precisely why some many are now opting for dual citizenship?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies