Midlands-Northwest EU Constituency: Discussion & Predictions

parentheses

Looks like the Sunday Times has got a story on Casey that's going to upset a lot of people. Wonder if it will get votes?

I'd say some people spat their coffee onto the newspaper when they read that.

DJP

If people in DP have not been given citizenship incl. after appeal I don't see what right they have to live in the country. I am all for genuine refugees coming into the country. I don't understand why they keep appealing the decisions made not to grant them citizenship and why we should take them in if they are not genuine refugees. It also seems obvious to me that if we grant citizenship to everyone in DP at the moment that a lot more people will try to get into the country. I am not anti-immigration but I think the process should be managed or coordinated and there should be limits to the numbers and background of the people we let in.

Last edited:

DJP

I wouldn't vote for Peter Casey is this or any other constituency though. If I lived in this EE constituency I would probably vote 1) Mairead McGuinness 2) Brendan Smith and then probably not transfer to any of the other candidates.

hiding behind a poster

With Marian Harkin not running it gives him a chance, if he runs the campaign like he did the presidental campaign it's hard to know as the issues of travellers would not be a European issue.
It wasn't a Presidential election issue either, didn't stop voters voting for him because of it.

hiding behind a poster

Its what I was hearing some saying at the time. In Roscommon-Galway, Higgins led Casey by around 4300 votes, but I remember someone in the media or online saying Casey seemed to be ahead in Roscommon. Given Galway West is the main population centre in the constituency, I think its a fair bet that the Roscommon part of the constituency, which is more conservative, would have had more votes for Casey than for Higgins but thats speculation.

Full list of constituency results as Michael D Higgins re-elected
No, if they were saying Roscommon-Galway, they were referring to the Dail constituency, which is basically county Roscommon plus a bit of the old Galway East.

hiding behind a poster

They are disgustingly well paid and expensed. As Luscious Lucinda said on TV3 last night they earn more than Leo !
I think she's wrong there. MEPs get the same salary as an MP in their home country. The expenses are good, but the expenses themselves are quite high with all the travel.

hiding behind a poster

Looks like the Sunday Times has got a story on Casey that's going to upset a lot of people. Wonder if it will get votes?

Not surprising to see the Sunday Times, which after all whipped its journalists in previous EU referenda to only write advocating a No vote, plugging Casey. Equally unsurprising to see you, for all your supposed contempt for journalists, losing hold of your critical faculties when they run a story you like.

hiding behind a poster

He'll have his work cut out for him. This time all the parties are in what is a proper race. He probably fancies his chances for the Harkin seat but she was hugely popular on transfers. I think FG, SF, probably Ming and a battle for the 4th spot
I'd say it's McGuinness, Carthy, 1 FF and then a battle for the fourth seat. There's a strong Independent/ Prolife/generally contrarian vote here, which elected Ming last time but could split between him and Casey now. One will probably elect the other in the end.

jmcc

Not surprising to see the Sunday Times, which after all whipped its journalists in previous EU referenda to only write advocating a No vote, plugging Casey. Equally unsurprising to see you, for all your supposed contempt for journalists, losing hold of your critical faculties when they run a story you like.
The Sarah Carey story still grates, eh? She wasn't even in the country for the Lisbon 1 vote as she was working for the failed Cuil search engine in the US. So far, it looks like the Dublin media have fallen head first into the Trump trap and Casey has become the story. There's also an issue of the perception that this is just the Jackeens telling people what to think and that will work in his favour. The way things are going, he could keep FF out of the last seat if his campaign gets traction.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie

jmcc

Just watched the RTE clips and Casey was the story. It seems that RTE learned nothing from the presidential election.

jmcc

Looks like trying to watch TWIP was a bit of a mistake. Confirms that RTE/Pravda is a triumph of mediocrity over talent.

hiding behind a poster

The Sarah Carey story still grates, eh? She wasn't even in the country for the Lisbon 1 vote as she was working for the failed Cuil search engine in the US. So far, it looks like the Dublin media have fallen head first into the Trump trap and Casey has become the story. There's also an issue of the perception that this is just the Jackeens telling people what to think and that will work in his favour. The way things are going, he could keep FF out of the last seat if his campaign gets traction.
I've no recollection of which journalists were writing for the ST at the time, but the reality is that the ST whipped its journalists to only write advocating a No vote.

sic transit

I'd say it's McGuinness, Carthy, 1 FF and then a battle for the fourth seat. There's a strong Independent/ Prolife/generally contrarian vote here, which elected Ming last time but could split between him and Casey now. One will probably elect the other in the end.
I think Ming has the advantage of being the incumbent. Casey is clearly hoping to hoover up all that Harkin vote. I can't see that happening given her profile and it's likely to splinter everywhere. Ming was at nearly 20% in the last one and it would take some massive swing and a lot of that vote going to Casey for him to lose out. He's also a known quantity in terms of transfer and Casey is not. Will people go for Casey further down the list in enough numbers? I'm still more on Ganley as the example for Casey. Probably decent FPV but ultimately not enough transfers.

sic transit

I'd say some people spat their coffee onto the newspaper when they read that.
Why do so many people seem to be drinking coffee whilst reading a newspaper? Such a cliché!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies