• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Midnight mass from Leeds cathedral

noodles

Just watching this lovely service on BBC.

Am RC myself.

Amazed at the, to my eyes, merging of Anglican traditions ( choristers in stalls, non traditional, to my ears, music, diversity on the alter and in the congregation) for a long time I thought I was looking at a high church Anglican service.

Then you had more traditional Roman Catholic elements ( ceremony, smoke, Latin, 'holy Catholic Church', deference for Virgin Mary, etc)

I would love to read more on the similarities of the the two traditions, history, great debates etc.

Does anyone have any simple reading or Internet sources I can look at?

TommyO'Brien

They used Leeds cathedral???

Good god.

It was revealed recently that Jimmy Savile abused 5-10 year old girls there. (He lived beside it.) His funeral mass was held there. Of all the cathedrals in the UK what idiot picked that cathedral to use 7 weeks after the abuse was revealed???

NeilW

Good god.

It was revealed recently that Jimmy Savile abused 5-10 year old girls there. (He lived beside it.) His funeral mass was held there. Of all the cathedrals in the UK what idiot picked that cathedral to use 7 weeks after the abuse was revealed???
Because it would have been easy to find a RC cathedral that didnt have any associations with child abuse cases?

TommyO'Brien

Because it would have been easy to find a RC cathedral that didnt have any associations with child abuse cases?
It is rather insensitive though picking the very cathedral directly linked to the most notorious paedophile in modern British history weeks after his details were released, especially when his funeral was held there and he abused 5-10 year old girls in that very building.

NeilW

It is rather insensitive though picking the very cathedral directly linked to the most notorious paedophile in modern British history weeks after his details were released, especially when his funeral was held there and he abused 5-10 year old girls in that very building.
As long as there are people like you to complain about things like this the world will carry on just fine.

Silvio Dante

Just watching this lovely service on BBC.

Am RC myself.

Amazed at the, to my eyes, merging of Anglican traditions ( choristers in stalls, non traditional, to my ears, music, diversity on the alter and in the congregation) for a long time I thought I was looking at a high church Anglican service.

Then you had more traditional Roman Catholic elements ( ceremony, smoke, Latin, 'holy Catholic Church', deference for Virgin Mary, etc)

I would love to read more on the similarities of the the two traditions, history, great debates etc.

Does anyone have any simple reading or Internet sources I can look at?

I see no harm in merging traditions myself...:)

Silvio Dante

Good god.

Send a strongly worded letter to Aunty Bee...

picador

Good god.

Isn't this just the type of hysteria you were complaining about when Savile's links to Thatcher and the royal family were highlighted?

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
This thread is about the similarities between the catholic and Anglican traditions and this possible fusion.

Good man tommy third post in an you try to turn it into a thread about child abuse and the churches association....

Very interesting interview yesterday on rte 1 with the new head of the church of ireland. I think this guy Richard Clarke will do a lot for building inter church relations on the island of ireland and this will no doubt filter down into communities and make Ireland a better place to live

Happy Christmas or holidays to all out there in pieland

Maranatha

I stayed up till the start of the Mass bit.

Beautiful music. It was very multi-ethnic alright. I suppose Leeds is that way. With Catholicism, that's just the way things work out. Unlike secular society where they insert token blacks into advertisements/etc., it's not necessary with Catholicism. All that matters is that they're in communion with God's church and skin colour/background just doesn't come into the equation.

The fact that they had a Mass with High Anglican nods on prime time BBC and not a pure CofE service just shows how committed the monarchy are to resolving historic differences between the two churches.

It is fitting that the Catholic mass is held at midnight. It is a work of darkness and death. The merging of Anglican and Catholic traditions is part of Vatican II policy. The purpose of Vatican II in the sixties was to give the RCC a facelift after her part in the genocides during World War II (Catholic Party brought Nazis to power in Germany (See nobeliefs website and nazis link) and the Croation Ustash/Catholic genocide in Serbia. Google: Edmund Paris. The second goal is to bring bring back heretics (Ahem.. I mean "seperated brethern") into the Catholic fold. The Lutherans, Anglicans...and many more are coming to their mother. You can see part of this reconciliation of the whore and her daughters with your own eyes on Youtube under ecumencial service NYC pope benedict St. Josephs.. "Come out of her my people that ye be not part partakers of her sins (Idolatry and child abuse) that ye share not in her plagues". You can bet that having the midnight service at the Leeds Cathedral was deliberate to show that she is every bit the whore she was and will be until the return of the Lord Jesus Christ!

former wesleyan

It is fitting that the Catholic mass is held at midnight. It is a work of darkness and death. The merging of Anglican and Catholic traditions is part of Vatican II policy. The purpose of Vatican II in the sixties was to give the RCC a facelift after her part in the genocides during World War II (Catholic Party brought Nazis to power in Germany (See nobeliefs website and nazis link) and the Croation Ustash/Catholic genocide in Serbia. Google: Edmund Paris. The second goal is to bring bring back heretics (Ahem.. I mean "seperated brethern") into the Catholic fold. The Lutherans, Anglicans...and many more are coming to their mother. You can see part of this reconciliation of the whore and her daughters with your own eyes on Youtube under ecumencial service NYC pope benedict St. Josephs.. "Come out of her my people that ye be not part partakers of her sins (Idolatry and child abuse) that ye share not in her plagues". You can bet that having the midnight service at the Leeds Cathedral was deliberate to show that she is every bit the whore she was and will be until the return of the Lord Jesus Christ!
Looks like Santa missed one house anyway.

sgtharper

Glad to see you're feeling better and getting the hang of the Internet Dr.Paisley, very much a return to previous form if I'm any judge?

Maranatha

I feel quite strongly about it as the RCC carries on like they're so holy (beautiful vestments, latin hymns, candles....). It's religious show biz. The story of scrooge and the grinch was to condition the masses to think that people who wouldn't partake in these pagan rituals were somehow cruel and wicked whereas the opposite is true. Jesus would never support pagan celebrations. Santa or should I say Satan is not welcome in my house. Wake up to the reality that it's all a big distraction from the Truth before it's too late. Jesus said "My sheep hear my voice and follow me". The mass is nowhere to be found in the bible. Jesus was likely born in the Autumn when the shephards were still in the fields with their sheep.

Years ago I heard someone make fun of the mass saying it was all hocus pocus and I was quite offended for years by this fellow's statements. Now I know what he was saying was true. May you find the Truth today!!!

Colin M

Good god.

'Outraged of Dublin'.

Ulster-Lad

Good god.

Did you know him Tommy (Jimmy that is)??

former wesleyan

I feel quite strongly about it as the RCC carries on like they're so holy (beautiful vestments, latin hymns, candles....). It's religious show biz. The story of scrooge and the grinch was to condition the masses to think that people who wouldn't partake in these pagan rituals were somehow cruel and wicked whereas the opposite is true. Jesus would never support pagan celebrations. Santa or should I say Satan is not welcome in my house. Wake up to the reality that it's all a big distraction from the Truth before it's too late. Jesus said "My sheep hear my voice and follow me". The mass is nowhere to be found in the bible. Jesus was likely born in the Autumn when the shephards were still in the fields with their sheep.

Years ago I heard someone make fun of the mass saying it was all hocus pocus and I was quite offended for years by this fellow's statements. Now I know what he was saying was true. May you find the Truth today!!!
But it's largely aspirational, like most religions. At least the aspiration to be better is there.

Maranatha

But it's largely aspirational, like most religions. At least the aspiration to be better is there.
I agree with you that "being better" is a core belief with all organized religions. People want to be better, do more good works etc. But this cannot please God and actually is counted as debt to the person (See Paul's letter to the Romans). What differentiates Jesus from religion is that a religious person cannot please God as they are depending on what they're doing. No-one can get to heaven on their own merits or efforts and that sounds strange to religious people. To participate in midnight masses, or any masses for that matter is to deny the only thing that can reconcile a person to God the Father, and that is belief in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Faith in His finished work is pleasing to God the Father. That is why man-made religion is so dangerous as it puts the burden on the people to appease God thus rejecting the work of Christ on Calvary.

The OD

Good god.

They used a Cathedral to have Christmas mass! Good God, the inhumanity....obviously it should have been burnt to the ground....

Jesus you're some clown....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies