• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

jams odonnell

The EU experiment has been a disaster for Ireland. It is high time we left.

We need to re-join the UK so we can get our economy going again.

Hearts and minds of British steel.

Socratus O' Pericles

The EU experiment has been a disaster for Ireland. It is high time we left.

We need to re-join the UK so we can get our economy going again.

Would we have to give back the motorways?

jams odonnell

Last edited:
Last edited:
Would we have to give back the motorways?
I am sick to the back teeth of hearing lies about EU funding of our motorways.

The EUwaffenSSR only built those motorways so that they can move EU army troops around our country. They will house EUwaffenSSR troops in our army barracks. Our army barracks were built by the British and given to the Irish.

Hands off our shared heritage.

Analyzer

he has a history of disappearing when the going gets tough
Which is what EK has done now. Again. He is spineless.

He hung on to get Fitzy through her rough patch. But she kept sinking. And sinking.

It is inevitable that NOS will have to stand down as AGS supremo. Only a matter of time.

His dithering even undermined his preferred successor and Tanaiste.

foxfordbhoy

Always remember we are E80 billion poorer in EU when you take account of our lost fish value. The forced acceptance of bankers debt as sovereign debt, combined with fishing losses makes our membership of EU one of the worst examples of masochism.

AnnaFan

I've often had my passport scanned entering the UK - via Gatwick airport in particular. I've had it scanned at Paris Orly, and Paris CDG, Amsterdam Schipol, Rome Fiumicino, and Frankfurt-a-M.
Entering from outside the Common Travel Area of course. Everyone has to go through UKBF passport control. But arriving from Ireland there is a dedicated CTA channel at all UK airports and you just walk straight out.

jams odonnell

Last edited:
Last edited:
I agree. The CTA works very much like a mini-Schengen (for the British Isles). The similarities end there however.

The CTA is a good thing which allows free movement of people who are culturally British throughout the Home Countries.

Schengen is a failed scheme which was created to allow foreigners claim benefits in the UK.

gleeful

To the OP (quote function buggered):

So, NI puts up a border around it and the rest of the United Kingdom? Or there is no border between Ireland and any of the UK, just the rest of the world?
I think the idea is that the UK would have a half-ar$ed half-policed border as now and Ireland would half implement the EUs customs border. The EU would agree on the understanding they would do real customs checks on goods arrival to the mainland.

It sounds like 'muddling along and pretend' which has always been the Irish govs view on the border. Not sure it will work this time.

gleeful

Always remember we are E80 billion poorer in EU when you take account of our lost fish value. The forced acceptance of bankers debt as sovereign debt, combined with fishing losses makes our membership of EU one of the worst examples of masochism.
Thats €80 billion per fish, right?

jams odonnell

I think the idea is that the UK would have a half-ar$ed half-policed border as now and Ireland would half implement the EUs customs border. The EU would agree on the understanding they would do real customs checks on goods arrival to the mainland.

It sounds like 'muddling along and pretend' which has always been the Irish govs view on the border. Not sure it will work this time.
Yes. The British Government would like a very hard border between the UK and France, and no border at all between the UK and Southern Ireland.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Brexit means brexit.

shiel

We have gained a net 43 bn in transfers since EU entry.

The transfers were massively in the opposite direction for the nearly eight centuries of colonial rule.

Where was the fish going in all those centuries?

Going back to join the UK after nearly 800 years of colonial exploitation when we have a home market of nearly 500 million people in the EU is not good advice.

Boy M5

The Bank Guarantee fella McWilliams has a programme on Brexit tomorrow.

I suspect it pushes in favour of Irexit.

Before he fell out with SBP, some of his pieces were leaning that way

brughahaha

I suspect he might look for us to opt for Norway like status leaving us free to negotiate continued barrier free trade with the UK .....views increasingly popular in the SME sector that trades with the UK in my opinion

Brexit has replaced the weather as the conversation de jour .....and there is a lot of unease ......remarks about growing other markets from ensconced public service lifers are met with utter derision ( that they deserve)

jams odonnell

EU membership has impoverished Ireland.

Contrast this with the position of Wales within the UK. The City of London generates vast amount of wealth, most of which is transferred to Wales, with the net effect that Wales is now richer than England.

You need only look at what being on the periphery of the EU has done to Ireland to realise how much better off Ireland would be in the UK.

Boy M5

I suspect he might look for us to opt for Norway like status leaving us free to negotiate continued barrier free trade with the UK .....views increasingly popular in the SME sector that trades with the UK in my opinion

Brexit has replaced the weather as the conversation de jour .....and there is a lot of unease ......remarks about growing other markets from ensconced public service lifers are met with utter derision ( that they deserve)
We'd still be weaker. Also negotiating to get out we will be toast.
I have been scared on Brexit since that tool Cameron won the election.
For some time I have called a dirty bomb on our society and economy.

Danny McCoy, not a man I like or respect his analysis, sweats buckets about it. I suspect he will push for some class of exit from EU.

Boy M5

Contrast this with the position of Wales within the UK. The City of London generates vast amount of wealth, most of which is transferred to Wales, with the net effect that Wales is now richer than England.

You need only look at what being on the periphery of the EU to realise how much better off Ireland would be in the UK.
No the opposite of your post is true. Fishing is only sector that lost out.
The biggest issue I have with EU membership is how EC, Sarko & Merkel followed O'Bama's Treasury Secretary Geithner's lead on forcing our bail out.

gleeful

There is exactly zero chance of Irexit. Even if all the other 26 countries left we would stay in.

shiel

Last edited:
Last edited:

You need only look at what being on the periphery of the EU has done to Ireland to realise how much better off Ireland would be in the UK.
These figures from oscurito on another thread seem to contradict that.

'UK regional wealth disparities - winners and losers.
The UK's Office of National Statistics (the equivalent of our CSO) published yesterday its annual figures on wealth per person in the various UK regions. You can find the data here; click on the green "xls (9.0MB)" button. The data that the graph below is based on are in the tab called "Table 3". Table 3 has so much more detail though with statistics for sub-regions and local areas.

The statistics are based on Gross Value Added (Income) which:
comprises compensation of employees , plus gross operating surplus, plus mixed income, plus taxes on production, less subsidies on production.

The figures for the last 16 years as depicted below show England with wealth per capita above the UK average while Scotland is slightly below. Wales and Northern Ireland continue to significantly underperform. Wales might pass out Northern Ireland in the next few years if only because its rate of decline seems to be slower.

Northern Ireland does, of course, have some significant disadvantages what with the legacy of the Troubles and its being geographically isolated from the other three regions. Perhaps the reason why it has outperformed Wales until now is due to its being adjacent to the Republic of Ireland where GDP per capita as expressed in USDs is well above that of the UK.'

Sorry the graph did not transfer but you get the message.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom