• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

AnnaFan

Anyone ever watch "Stop, Search, Seize"? I find it bizarre that Ireland has Customs at the ferry ports. All the inbound ferries are from the EU. There is freedom of movement of goods and people. And as for drugs, we seem to have more Vietnamese cannabis farms than anywhere else.
As above, the concept of the CTA is just being ignored. I can imagine United fans loving it if the UK made them wait for an hour at MAN to have their passports scanned.
If it is a Hard Brexit, we should join the Schengen area and open up roro ferry routes to France and Spain. Become fully members of the EU and cut the apron strings with Britannia.

FunkyBoogaloo

Anyone ever watch "Stop, Search, Seize"? I find it bizarre that Ireland has Customs at the ferry ports. All the inbound ferries are from the EU. There is freedom of movement of goods and people. And as for drugs, we seem to have more Vietnamese cannabis farms than anywhere else.
As above, the concept of the CTA is just being ignored. I can imagine United fans loving it if the UK made them wait for an hour at MAN to have their passports scanned.
If it is a Hard Brexit, we should join the Schengen area and open up roro ferry routes to France and Spain. Become fully members of the EU and cut the apron strings with Britannia.
We are full members of the EU already.

gleeful

Cigs. Drugs. Alcohol. Not covered by customs union if for resale.

jams odonnell

No the opposite of your post is true. Fishing is only sector that lost out.
The biggest issue I have with EU membership is how EC, Sarko & Merkel followed O'Bama's Treasury Secretary Geithner's lead on forcing our bail out.
The tragedy is that that bailout would not have been required if Ireland had stuck with selling raw agricultural products to England within the UK.

EU membership has been a disaster for Ireland. Ireland must follow the UK out of the EU to ensure that the disaster does not turn into a tragic catastrophe.

shiel

The tragedy is that that bailout would not have been required if Ireland had stuck with selling raw agricultural products to England within the UK.

EU membership has been a disaster for Ireland. Ireland must follow the UK out of the EU to ensure that the disaster does not turn into a tragic catastrophe.
That is not right.

During the 1950s, 400,000 people emigrated from Ireland and income per capita was low relative to European countries.

That was when it was dependent on the UK market.

Now even after the collapse of 2009-10 Ireland has one of the highest income per capita in the EU.

runwiththewind

That is not right.

During the 1950s, 400,000 people emigrated from Ireland and income per capita was low relative to European countries.

Now even after the collapse of 2009-10 Ireland has one of the highest income per capita in the EU.
Why are you responding to a loyalist troll. His wet dream is an Ireland without the Irish.

shiel

Why are you responding to a loyalist troll. His wet dream is an Ireland without the Irish.
Well in relation to the OP I think the following which I posted on another thread is relevant.

Just a statement of facts from Irish history.

The land confiscations, the plantations, the penal laws, the starvation of millions, the failure to implement an act of the imperial parliament giving Home Rule to the island of Ireland and the plunder of this island took place over a period of nearly 800 years of colonial domination by the English.

The signing of the Good Friday Agreement which was supported by the vast majority of the people on this island was designed to draw a line under that nearly eight centuries.

What did the English do at the first opportunity?

By voting for Brexit they tore up the Good Friday Agreement.

In contrast this country signed a treaty with nearly thirty other European democracies to cooperate in matters of mutual interest in a continent that had been reduced to ruin by two totalitarian dictators.

What did the English do?

They also tore up their agreement with nearly thirty other European democracies.

In contrast to the nearly 800 years of colonial exploitation in the short period we have been in the EU we have made a net gain of 43 bn euro and have access to home market of 500 million people.

How can anyone want to leave the EU and go back to colonial dependency on the English?

londonpride

Well in relation to the OP I think the following which I posted on another thread is relevant.

The land confiscations, the plantations, the penal laws, the starvation of millions, the failure to implement an act of the imperial parliament giving Home Rule to the island of Ireland and the plunder of this island took place over a period of nearly 800 years of colonial domination by the English.

The signing of the Good Friday Agreement which was supported by the vast majority of the people on this island was designed to draw a line under that nearly eight centuries.

In contrast this country signed a treaty with nearly thirty other European democracies to cooperate in matters of mutual interest in a continent that had been reduced to ruin by two totalitarian dictators.

What did the English do?

They also tore up their agreement with nearly thirty other European democracies.

In contrast to the nearly 800 years of colonial exploitation in the short period we have been in the EU we have made a net gain of 43 bn euro and have access to home market of 500 million people.

How can anyone want to leave the EU and go back to colonial dependency on the English?
AS you say ,Penal laws mass starvation by famine etc. Have you never bothered to ask yourself as to why this Deity in the sky who would have no greater ardent followers than the Irish catholic nation who had spent more time on their knees pleading for some miracle and was totally ignored. 800 years of ignoring the praying,the grottos and statues the masses and all other means of attracting the attention of this presumed God in the Sky. Wonder if this god does exist exactly which side it/he/she supported

Expatirishman

What did the English do?

You are so braindead ."the last thing the English people would have been thinking of was the Good Friday agreement. There were other more important issues on their plate. Any the working class English were lied to by Tory Nationallists and fell for their line just like Orange Natiolists[ if you could call them that] and Irish nationalists fall for their sides propaganda. The English will survive as they have a very flexible outgoing outlook and always have the commonwealth and the USA for support.

paddycomeback

We are full members of the EU already.
We aren't in the Schengen Area. In fact now we have the only fully monitored border in the EU. UK has an open border to us, but we have passport control for them. Within the Schengen Area there is no passport control.
So we have passport control from CTA and Schengen making us unique.

jams odonnell

Last edited:
Last edited:
That is not right.

You are writing from an Irish perspective and I am writing from a British perspective.

Let us be thankful that we don't have to listen to a Continental's perspective!

ps I have seen the haunted faces of so many young people walking around Dundrum Town Centre Shopping Centre Red Car Park who, let's face it, would have been much happier living, working, praying and having the Craic in Wolverhampton in the 1950s.

londonpride

Cut the apron strings with Britannia. ???? You men DUMP and ignore the million Irish born expats and up to six million of generational Irish living in The UK. TYPICAL. Just like the Nationalists of the North were dumped and left to fend for themselves when the Republic ceded from the UK.

FunkyBoogaloo

We aren't in the Schengen Area. In fact now we have the only fully monitored border in the EU. UK has an open border to us, but we have passport control for them. Within the Schengen Area there is no passport control.
So we have passport control from CTA and Schengen making us unique.
Member states don't have to be in Schengen to enjoy full membership status.

I would happily oppose any further integration into the EU and favour winding back our membership thereof. Leave, and join EFTA, I say.

paddycomeback

I would happily oppose any further integration into the EU and favour winding back our membership thereof. Leave, and join EFTA, I say.
Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein are not in EU. They are in EFTA. But they are in Schengen. I think Schengen is a condition of EFTA membership.
I'll say it again. We have the hardest border in Europe. Nobody else has passport control for all inbound air passengers.

Spanner Island

Last edited:
Last edited:
and yet we were told Endas "contacts" in the EU would secure a better interest rate .....how did that work out ?

Now the same crap...Endas "contacts" in the EU will secure a more favourable and softer Brexit.......... utter b0llox (again) ...but the usual apparatchiks will keep pushing the same bullsh1t ubtil (again) its too late and weve been screwed and our economy is back in the 1950s ...... :roll:
There is no hard or soft Brexit. There's just Brexit... as both Theresa May and the EU have stated umpteen times.

It's puzzling how it's taking so long for this particular penny to drop for so many.

And there will be a border here too... if not initially... then down the road... when something innocuous enough... maybe some Brazilian beef being smuggled down south which will trigger the farmers into action and demanding there's a border etc.

I'm well aware we were shafted post crash and that FG claimed achievements that were really down to the Greeks... (perhaps that's why Noonan used to like digging at the Greeks... who knows)... and that Enda's contacts were of little use to us.

But compared to the rest he has been there forever (longer than the vast majority of EU leaders etc.) and he knows the rotten EU 'system' and the way it works etc...

The point I was making regardless... is that the eFFing traitors were worse than useless during the crash... so there's no reason to believe they'd be any more effective than FG during Brexit...

Plus any idea of indulging in an Eirexit after which we'd thrive in isolation is beyond stupid.

So we're kind of f***ed... which has been clear enough since last June.

Cdebru

Exactly. Let's add 900,000 heavily subsidised "we feel British" unionists in as well, give them PRAVDA instead of the Beeb, the HSE instead if the NHS, snd FAWSSSSS instead of the British equivalent.

They will even get tax increases to help pay for Bertie's pension, Noddy's museum, Ray Arsey's salary and bailouts for the D4 banks.

Come on in Billy - sweat and toil for the Seanie Bonders and Denis the menace.

And pump them with pro-EU imperial propaganda.

I don't expect it to work.

I am not in favour of seeing Irish blood spilled for Brussels and it's pretenscious machinations.

We still get the Beeb, all you need is satellite, cable or a large aerial, our state pension and social welfare rates are much higher,
They are currently paying for, war efforts inSyria, Trident nuclear deterrents, the royal family, salaries for Gary Lineker and Graham Norton,

And it may have escaped you attention but the Brits had a bank bail out as well, over a trillion pounds at its height.

And they get pumped with Pro British empire propaganda,

You would swear it was nirvana up there and they were being expected to jump into the sewer, with the sh1te you post.

Cdebru

You realise, that EFTA members have basically the same obligations in regards to EU law, paying into the EU budget, they just get no say on anything ?

How does having to follow laws in which you have no input, increase your sovereignty ?

brughahaha

You realise, that EFTA members have basically the same obligations in regards to EU law, paying into the EU budget, they just get no say on anything ?

How does having to follow laws in which you have no input, increase your sovereignty ?
You think we have a say now ...you think we have influence ...??

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......hahahahahahahahahaha ...oh stop youre killing me

As soon as your ready to point out the massive influence we wield in the EU Im all ears ........ What we have is the right of politicians and public servants to hob nob around Brussels thinking they're important ...somewhat like the eejits you see standing behind a commentator giving the thumbs up on television thinking theyre TV stars

"Influence" ..."say" ...priceless :lol: We only get a say if the Germans let us ...

jams odonnell

You think we have a say now ...you think we have influence ...??

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......hahahahahahahahahaha ...oh stop youre killing me

As soon as your ready to point out the massive influence we wield in the EU Im all ears ........ What we have is the right of politicians and public servants to hob nob around Brussels thinking they're important ...somewhat like the eejits you see standing behind a commentator giving the thumbs up on television thinking theyre TV stars

"Influence" ..."say" ...priceless :lol: We only get a say if the Germans let us ...
If the Irish left the EU and re-joined the UK they would have much more say in the running of the UK than they have in the EU. Many of the Irish seem to very confused by their own overly complicated electoral system. A return to First Past the Post voting would suit the Irish as it is much easier to understand. That much is very obvious to me.

It is time for Britain to Go Global.

brughahaha

If the Irish left the EU and re-joined the UK they would have much more say in the running of the UK than they have in the EU. That much is very obvious.

It is time for Britain to Go Global.
you're about as funny or original as Hal Roach :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom