Military Matters

ruserious

Nice photo of group of Rangers celebrating getting their green berets on top of the hill of Allen.

10 points to whomever can identify the insignia on the right hand of the far left ranger.

BZ to those who completed the Ranger’s course. Wish them a wonderful career.

Elvis jaffacake

Bejesus your screen must be better then mine..I can't even make it out, never mind ID it...

madmullah

Like the poor of Dublin where used by the middleclass hotheads in 1916.?
A lot more were used and ended up dead by the British empire before during and unfortunately still today.
At least 1916 , set the train moving for the demise of the British Empire

rainmaker

Administrator
A lot more were used and ended up dead by the British empire before during and unfortunately still today.
At least 1916 , set the train moving for the demise of the British Empire
The idea that the 16 rising is the spark that begins the end of the empire is, while not quite an urban myth, it is certainly an urban exaggeration.

It may have provided inspiration to some, but it wasn't the first time an empire possession had fought for, & even won its independence. Were it that simple the empire would have crumbled after the American War of Independence.

The decline of the empire had much more to do with the sheer cost of WW1 to the UK. By the time the second global war was fought, so closely after the first, the cost of sustaining an empire was simply unthinkable.

Last edited:

boldfenianman

The idea that the 16 rising is the spark that begins the end of the empire is, while not quite an urban myth, it is certainly an urban exaggeration.

It may have provided inspiration to some, but it wasn't the first time an empire possession had fought for, & even won its independence. Were it that simple the empire would have crumbled after the American War of Independence.

The decline of the empire had much more to do with the sheer cost of WW1 to the UK. By the time the second global war was fought, so closely after the first, the cost of sustaining an empire was simply unthinkable.
Well said. The Empire had 2 major ships to defend British Pacific interests in 1941 . Prince of Wales and the Repulse. Both sunk week one by Japanese. It was a quite brilliant sham. Took more British soldiers to hold Ireland than India with its vastly bigger population. Brits were really clever. Divide and rule and so on. I would say the fall of Singapore led to the downfall of the Empire. Certainly in Asia.

madmullah

Both partially true, Winston Churchill is quoted to have said, "If we lose Ireland we lose the Empire.
Ironic that the commander of British Forces in Singapore was also a membeer, Intellegence officer and Company Commander of the Essex regiment, Known for his sadistic tratment of prisoners and whose regiment did not fare too well with the IRA flying columns in Cork. I think ge IRA killed about 20 of them

Roberto Jordan

Anyone know why the 'Southern ireland' State army has an 'Ireland' badge on their uniform???
I know you are a WUM , you know you are a WUM , but howsoever.

If you consult the constitution, UN, the EU, the states neighbors , and indeed every soveirgn state that participates international relations ( so thats everyone except maybe the PRK and I'd imagine Rocket Mans atlas is pretty standard) you will discover that the name of the country is {DRUMROLL}.......IRELAND ....welll what d'ya know.......hence when the army designs badges - they say IRELAND and not , say , "PaddyLand" or "the kingdn of the Micks" and when the president goes abroad he/ she is introduced as "the president of IRELAND" and not " the grand mufti of the Leprachauns" and the Taoiseachs job is Head of Government of IRELAND and not "leader of the revolutionary junta of the Hibernian Alliance" or , to keep you happy, "the king's own special envoy to the colonial trading post of Potatoville-on-the-Rainy-Coast"...

Country's name is IRELAND, deal with it.

If you cant deal with maybe you can toddle round to the IFA HQ in Belfast and share their longstanding angst and bitterness #ourweecountry

Last edited:

Roberto Jordan

Both partially true, Winston Churchill is quoted to have said, "If we lose Ireland we lose the Empire.
Ironic that the commander of British Forces in Singapore was also a membeer, Intellegence officer and Company Commander of the Essex regiment, Known for his sadistic tratment of prisoners and whose regiment did not fare too well with the IRA flying columns in Cork. I think ge IRA killed about 20 of them
Its a topic for another thread and entirely based on on hindsight but their "empire" was on a downward spiral from Bunker Hill onwards.
British empire could and maybe would have been something very different if the pivot from west to east didnt happen in my opinion....now whether , in the short term , that would have been any better for the Mick - i dont know and seriously doubt given the opinion of the WASP-ish folks in all of teh white colonies to anyone dark of skin or papist in persuasion - but cant help but think less exploitation of african/ pillaging of india and more yeoman farmering would have been a healthier and, for HM subjects perhaps more redistributive & egalitarian, pursuit.

sgtharper

Its a topic for another thread and entirely based on on hindsight but their "empire" was on a downward spiral from Bunker Hill onwards.
Really? How big was the Empire in 1776 and how big was it in 1886 and in 1926, 100 and 150 years later?

I've alway understood that it was the loss of the American colonies that was the spur for expansion elsewhere?

Talk Back

I know you are a WUM , you know you are a WUM , but howsoever.

If you consult the constitution, UN, the EU, the states neighbors , and indeed every soveirgn state that participates international relations ( so thats everyone except maybe the PRK and I'd imagine Rocket Mans atlas is pretty standard) you will discover that the name of the country is {DRUMROLL}.......IRELAND ....welll what d'ya know.......hence when the army designs badges - they say IRELAND and not , say , "PaddyLand" or "the kingdn of the Micks" and when the president goes abroad he/ she is introduced as "the president of IRELAND" and not " the grand mufti of the Leprachauns" and the Taoiseachs job is Head of Government of IRELAND and not "leader of the revolutionary junta of the Hibernian Alliance" or , to keep you happy, "the king's own special envoy to the colonial trading post of Potatoville-on-the-Rainy-Coast"...

Country's name is IRELAND, deal with it.

If you cant deal with maybe you can toddle round to the IFA HQ in Belfast and share their longstanding angst and bitterness #ourweecountry
Yes my Country's name is IRELAND - only the State is obviously not Ireland, therefore not my country.
The 26 county state is merely the 'Southern Ireland' jurisdiction as forced upon us by England, under its Government of Ireland Act 1920, and rubber-stamped by the usurper Free State and its renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) in 1922/23 when it fought an illegal war against Ireland and destroyed the 32 county Irish Republic as proclaimed in 1916.

Which brings you back to the question - why is the renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) wearing an Ireland badge? Have they no shame???

Talk Back

Really? How big was the Empire in 1776 and how big was it in 1886 and in 1926, 100 and 150 years later?

I've alway understood that it was the loss of the American colonies that was the spur for expansion elsewhere?
Yes England is responsible for the murder of countless millions of people in the countries it invaded and occupied around the world over the centuries.

Ireland is a prime example of the genocide perpetrated by England and its spawn in Ireland.

Roberto Jordan

Thats kind of my point.

Its only an opinion, and a relatively off the cuff one, and I have no doubt it is not supported in the short term when the extracted wealth repatriated to blighty from india etc. is considered. But if one assumes that global trade expansion could still have occurred - take for example role of british firms in industrial development in 19th century latin america, regardless of whether the jewel in the crown and various other more exotic locations were conquered or brought into britains sphere of influence, then I do think it an interesting counter factual to ponder on whether the retention of the 13 colonies could not have yielded a different and quite possibly better & more valuable empire?

Take Adam Smith for example, he was sure britain should seek to retain the colonies but do so through federation. He saw the potential of the american empire and reckoned on the seat of government eventually moving to new York. Instead britain lost New england and its southern neighbors, holding onto the inhospitable wastes of the Canada's populated in turn by the "loyal" folk in exile from Washington & co, the type of people who actively migrate to the plains of Abraham in the 18th century and papist french men ( what a combination)

And ( tongue in cheek) you might not have felt the urge to invent australians.......

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies