Military Police Patrolling Oireachtas Éireann?

Sierra

It seems that the military police (who are armed) are on duty at the Oireachtas, as the following image indicates:

Is this a normal occurrence, or has security been stepped up in light of recent protests?

Eire1976

About time. Need to keep the lid on those unions who took while the going wa good and amazingly have the front to complain when things turn sour.

johnfás

They're always there - always have been. Used to bring people into Government buildings on tours from time to time on a Saturday and you would see them hanging around.

TommyO'Brien

Armed military police have always been there.

forest

so
Personally I support the arming of all police in Ireland
Ireland and the UK are the only eu states not to

(norway and iceland dont either)

Military are always there. As are Special Branch, mingling with the protesters. They also bring in bomb sniffer dogs after a long recess. I remember jumping onto my desk when a huge alsatation came lolloping into my office early one morning. I don't know who got the worse fright, me or the dog.

j26

so

Given what may well happen over the next few days and weeks, it could be just as well they're not armed, or there could be a lot of blood on the streets.

myksav

It seems that the military police (who are armed) are on duty at the Oireachtas, as the following image indicates:

Is this a normal occurrence, or has security been stepped up in light of recent protests?
Always been there. Perfectly normal.

rubensni

so

Those soldiers are there to protect the dail against an armed assault (obviously this was a huge risk in the days of the troubles).

The biggest risk to the security of the dail at the moment is public order/the mob.

Front line riot cops generally don't carry guns/have very constrained access to their guns for obvious reasons.

slx

They'd want something a bit more powerful than just casting spells on protesters!
I didn't realise the army had magic power training.

slx

He should have drawn his sidearm and shot some of those IRA scumbags.
Two in both knees would have served them right.
Careful now, you be tarring everyone who protests with the same brush.

Are we just going to label anyone protesting "IRA scumbags" ?!?!?!

oggy

Have a photo I took of No10 directly across from the door X number of years security.Westminster is like a fortress. If Fg/Lab are still in government this time next year the Dail will be a fortress

Drumknot

The members of IDF have no legal authority to patrol in any civilian environment, the Garda present should have arrested them.

That said both I think both parties are in a difficult positition they may hate the current government but they are following orders.

I think that individual members of An Garda Siochana need to decide if their loyalty is to the the law or the people.

slx

I think there may be a slightly different situation in Leinster House to other public areas. There is a permanent low key military presence at LH and has been for decades, if not since the foundation of the state.

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
I think that individual members of An Garda Siochana need to decide if their loyalty is to the their employers and their families or to other people and their families.
Edited for clarity, you can't expect Gards to resign on political principle in this climate.

TonyBird

Have a photo I took of No10 directly across from the door X number of years security.Westminster is like a fortress. If Fg/Lab are still in government this time next year the Dail will be a fortress
What the hell does that even mean ? :confused:
Is it some kind of demented riddle ?

slx

Edited for clarity, you can't expect Gards to resign on political principle in this climate.
No, but you can expect them to be a LOT more professional and fair in their treatment of protesters than they have been seen to be in recent weeks.

They need to simply maintain the peace, not quash protests, that is not their job and if anyone is trying to make that their job, then they should blow the whistle / out them as they should not be on the force.

polcol2

The members of IDF have no legal authority to patrol in any civilian environment, the Garda present should have arrested them.

That said both I think both parties are in a difficult positition they may hate the current government but they are following orders.

I think that individual members of An Garda Siochana need to decide if their loyalty is to the the law or the people.
Can you back up this claim that the members of IDF have no legal authority to patrol in any civilian environment. I think you won't find any evidence for this. Just another example of complete waffle that posters pass off as fact.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies