Minimum wage to be cut by €1 to €7.65/hour

gijoe

A number of papers this morning are reporting that the minimum wage will be cut by €1 to €7.65/hour. That's all well and good, but unless it is accompanied by a circa €40/week cut in the basic social welfare payment I reckon it is only going to be counterproductive. At €7.65/hour a 39 hour week earns €279 gross compared to €196 on the dole. Unless the dole is cut to AT LEAST €160, and even less, all it will do is just increase the numbers on the dole. However, none of the press are indicating social welfare cuts on these levels.

Any cut in the minimum wage needs also to be accompanied by significant cuts in the JLC rates, but again, there is no indication that this is going to happen either.

Mister men

Unreal. How can someone get by on 8.65 an hour never mind less than that. I think we are in for huge civil unrest in this country in the coming months tbh. This move will force 100,000 more low paid slaves onto the dole imo.

Gemlarkin

If big Social Welfare payments could cure unemployment they would have worked by now

If big Social Welfare payments could cure unemployment they would have worked by now!

dalywise

No doubt the FF brass at the top of the Unions will be saying it could be worse.

ocoonassa

If they're going to be taxing the minimum wage as well then really that's bad, if the dole is €196 plus rent allowance sure you'd be on less money working than not.

TrueIreland

Website
www.trueireland.blogspot.com
Its all well saying minimum wage and social welfare need to be cut, but are they going to cut the living costs for these people also?

If you have a mortgage or you pay rent will they cut your payments by the same % cut as your income?

Will they instruct the ESB to cut by the same %?

Will the food retailers be instructed to cut the cost of food?

Where are the heavy taxes for those Top Civil servants, or where is the pay cut for Biffo?

Gemlarkin

The minimum wage in the US is $7.25

The minimum wage in the US is $7.25 or €5.33 per hour or €207.87 for a 39 hour week.

We must lower our costs as well as our minim wage.

timetochange

Website
www.facebook.com
They are going to cut social welfare by 5% and 3% for the next two years. reported in the Sunday business post today!
I was just saying the same to my DH that even with the cuts a single person or a couple with no children or a couple with one child will see very little difference being on the dole or working at minimum wage.

what bothers me about it, will prices come down for food,heating, electricity, insurance etc I doubt it so what are we really doing here, cutting our SW and minimum wage to be more in line with the EU with no reflection on the fact that the cost of living here is expensive and we wont see heating and electricity prices falling :confused:

any one know any thing about this 100 euro household charge!!! is that for every one....

Gemlarkin

cutting the mimimum wage and tinkering with welfare means

cutting the mimimum wage and tinkering with welfare means, more eastern europeans to do low paid work, and more emigration for our young people.

It maximises the number of unemployed and imports more people to live in investment properties.

TradCat

Surely any backbencher interested in saving his own neck is going to vote against the budget.

ALAN42

Along with cuts to social welfare a reduction of the minimum wage you will see the stripping back of employment law paving the way for more casual employment with little or no rights .

thebig C

If the Minimum wage is cut, then we definately need to follow Britains lead and cap the total ammount of Welfare/Social payments which can be recieved in a monthly period. I would suggest that one you reach 80-85% of the Minimum weekly wage, anything further is a disincentive to work.

Unfortunately, all the commentators are going with the pc mantra that "the most vulnerable should be untouched". Certainly there are people who are genuinely desperately poor, and there are those who are in sever difficulty having recently lost jobs. However, included in this "most vulnerable" category are a large number who have never worked are are in receipt of every state benefit under the sun.

If the Government cuts wages and pushes up taxes on workers and doesn't cut benefits and tackle the mountain of fraud in the welfare system, then all they are going to do is push more people out of employment and into welfare. For example, of all the private rented accommodation in the State, 50% is paid by the Dept of Social Welfare. These are payments largely to young people whos only qualification was getting pregnant! The net result is to set an artificial floor to the market, ensuring that those who are working for a living are still paying comparitively high rents. In fact I know several couples who are working but who can't get or afford a mortgage, as a result they are renting but are at the limits of what they can afford. Hit them any more and not working will be a more attractive option.

C

Catalpa

A number of papers this morning are reporting that the minimum wage will be cut by €1 to €7.65/hour. That's all well and good, but unless it is accompanied by a circa €40/week cut in the basic social welfare payment I reckon it is only going to be counterproductive. At €7.65/hour a 39 hour week earns €279 gross compared to €196 on the dole. Unless the dole is cut to AT LEAST €160, and even less, all it will do is just increase the numbers on the dole. However, none of the press are indicating social welfare cuts on these levels.

Any cut in the minimum wage needs also to be accompanied by significant cuts in the JLC rates, but again, there is no indication that this is going to happen either.
It won't work either unless the cost of daily and weekly necessities are cut too.

Cut the profits of the Capitalists before you start cutting the wages of the least less off and the SW of people thrown on the dole queues!

Ironic isn't it that its only last year that we were told talk that the Minimum Wage would be cut was 'scaremongering'!:rolleyes:

Gemlarkin

We need smaller Government too

We need smaller Government too. Smaller Government means smaller taxes.

To quote Sir Humphrey Appleby " You can have as much unemployment as you are prepared to pay for"

seosamh1979

Website
www.vica.ie
You's are some fukking moaners over there.... I live in london having been forced to go and seek work because of the useless c*nts that are fianna failure and I am earning about £9ph now with that I have to pay an over inflated rent, council tax, gas, electricity and water. Never mind then having to pay to eat. I can manage it so why are the irish moaning so much.

We have had it too good in Ireland for too long and people are not willing to accept that your are going to have to downgrade your lifestyle, downgrade your attitude to menial work and just get on with it.

Oh and yes the social welfare MUST be cut and drastically cut at that. In the uk you get £65 per week and that's what it should be.. If you are claiming benefits you should not be able to go to the pub or enjoy days out on the taxpayer. YOu should be out looking for jobs.

flexbrowne

You're dead right, but it won't happen. This is pandering to IBEC and ISME crooks......

New Threads

Most Replies