Minister Dempsey "refused to discuss way of cutting €500m rescue contract"

• Thread starter MrFunkyBoogaloo
  • Start date

blackpitts

Faced with option of giving it to a small core group of people who would have to retrain / requip at considerable expense or a company which is one of the world leaders then this is one where the correct decision has been made.
BREAKING NEWS: Odie backs government, says "correct decision has been made." p.ie readers shocked and amazed.

Ultor

The claim that because the RAF intergrate their SAR capability means Ireland should do so as well, not with standing the fact that RAF capability is designed primarily for rescuing UK forces personnel from hostile environments and not picking up stray boaters or mountaineers.

Faced with option of giving it to a small core group of people who would have to retrain / requip at considerable expense or a company which is one of the world leaders then this is one where the correct decision has been made.
Odie, I am shocked and amazed too! :D Anyway...

I don't think anyone who knows the job and the aircraft would ever honestly say that the 139 is capable of doing the same job as the S-92. It is not. Anyone who says it is has no idea about the subject or is in serious denial.

(To be fair to the 139, it wasn't tendered as a long range SAR machine)

However to be fair to the OP, he/she posed the question, why did dempsey not talk about other combined options?

The 139 is suitable for inshore SAR and certainly out to 100nm from shore. The Long Range SAR jobs that do arise are less frequent but when they do happen they are certainly more serious in nature.

I believe the s-92 is the only machine for the job of LR SAR. But why did the minister refuse to even talk about the possibility of integration?

maxthedog

Wow max! I think you are confusing the public service with the civil service. Army/aircorps/police/fire are working 24/7/365. When your eating your turkey and ham at christmas they are working. When your on the piss on a saturday night they are working.
Thanks to the drink driving laws and the morning after, I fondly remember when I could go "on the Piss".

getting back to the Air Corp helicopter squad. For a group of men to be working 24/7. They would need tasks that would require them to work.
For instance "Air Sea" rescue.
Oh wait a minute they don`t do that.
So how does Biggles occupy his busy 24/7 schedule?

Mushroom

However to be fair to the OP, he/she posed the question, why did dempsey not talk about other combined options?

But why did the minister refuse to even talk about the possibility of integration?

Because once the tender competition had been advertised in the OJEC, it would have been completely inappropriate for the Minister to intervene.
Any talking would have had to have occurred before the tender documentation was published. O'Brien's attempted contact was too late.

maxthedog

Because once the tender competition had been advertised in the OJEC, it would have been completely inappropriate for the Minister to intervene.
Any talking would have had to have occurred before the tender documentation was published. O'Brien's attempted contact was too late.
So why didn`t the Air Corp tender for the contract ?

Mushroom

So why didn`t the Air Corp tender for the contract ?

That question should be addressed to the Minister for Defence as the man who determines Defence Policy for all Military Corps and Branches - including the Flying Club.

The Minister or his Secretary-General can be questioned on the matter by a relevant Oireachtas Committee.

corelli

The whole thing reeks of sour grapes to me. One is led to wonder if the former General Officer, who wrote to the minister, has a grudge against the preferred tender? Did he have a run in with them or apply for a job there, post retirement, which he did not get? Anyone know if they have a fractious history?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies