Minister Denis Naughten has been injured in a road crash

President Bartlet

Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment Denis Naughten has been injured in a road crash in Co Roscommon.
It is understood Mr Naughten was cycling with his wife along a road between Roscommon town and Fuerty earlier this afternoon when he was struck by a car.
He is understood to have sustained back injuries in the collision, and was brought by ambulance to Portiuncula Hospital in Galway. His injuries are not thought to be serious.

Ms Naughten was not injured in the incident.
Gardaí are investigating the incident.

Catalpast

Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment Denis Naughten has been injured in a road crash in Co Roscommon.
It is understood Mr Naughten was cycling with his wife along a road between Roscommon town and Fuerty earlier this afternoon when he was struck by a car.
He is understood to have sustained back injuries in the collision, and was brought by ambulance to Portiuncula Hospital in Galway. His injuries are not thought to be serious.

Ms Naughten was not injured in the incident.
Gardaí are investigating the incident.
Well I hope he recovers OK

Eoin Coir

Sad in that his Dad,Senator/TD was killed in a Road Traffic Accident in Roscommon

McTell

Twitter
No

Fullforward

Compulsory insurance for cyclists on the way folks.

gatsbygirl20

Fortunately his injuries are not life threatening. Although it seems he may have suffered some injury to his back--a very unpleasant experience. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Cycling, or even walking, on country roads is a nightmare

However bad the traffic in the city, at least some attempt has been made to give dedicated pathways to cyclists and to pedestrians.

I made an attempt once to take my baby niece for a walk in her buggy along a country road in the West. It was hair-raising.

Cars flew by, tearing around blind bends in the road. There was no pavement or safe space to move into as cars approached--not that one had much warning of their approach on the twisting road.

None of my country nieces or nephews cycle or walk to secondary school, a mile or so distant in the local town. It is simply too dangerous. My own children walked to school here in Dublin, or cycled or took the bus.

In Mr Naughton's case, the low winter sun of recent days blinding motorists as they drive, cannot have helped either.

Half Nelson

Accidents happen. We shouldn't jump to legislate for every grazed knee.

I hope all recover ok.

Eoin Coir

It's not an excuse for dangerous/careless driving though. If you can't see clearly you have to pull over.
Yes that is the position. Even if you feel tired you must pull over, a guy is in jail for killing someone because of tiredness. One has a duty of care

west'sawake

Sad in that his Dad,Senator/TD was killed in a Road Traffic Accident in Roscommon
Yes, I remember that. How terribly ironic. I hope he makes a good recovery with no serious permanent damage. Of all the independents, he was the one I was most pleased to see at the Cabinet Table, a true gentleman of courage and conviction, and that's in the breeding, as we'd say in the West.

Last edited:

Jim Car

Compulsory insurance for cyclists on the way folks.
If it could be covered by general/normal life insurance I would not be totally against that, given the welcomed increase in the number of cyclists.

Hope the man is ok and recovers fully and soon.

The Herren

It's not an excuse for dangerous/careless driving though. If you can't see clearly you have to pull over.
FFS how do you safely "pull over" on a road that is probably inches less than the width of two big cars , still with the low winter sun being a problem? I shudder to think of the pile up that could ensue.

New Threads

Most Replies