Minister Denis Naughten has been injured in a road crash

Orbit v2

FFS how do you safely "pull over" on a road that is probably inches less than the width of two big cars , still with the low winter sun being a problem? I shudder to think of the pile up that could ensue.
So, you just keep driving blind then .. ?

O

Oscurito

Cycling, or even walking, on country roads is a nightmare

[...]

I made an attempt once to take my baby niece for a walk in her buggy along a country road in the West. It was hair-raising.

Cars flew by, tearing around blind bends in the road. There was no pavement or safe space to move into as cars approached--not that one had much warning of their approach on the twisting road.

None of my country nieces or nephews cycle or walk to secondary school, a mile or so distant in the local town. It is simply too dangerous. My own children walked to school here in Dublin, or cycled or took the bus.

In Mr Naughton's case, the low winter sun of recent days blinding motorists as they drive, cannot have helped either.
I attended a party a few kms outside of town on Friday night. I drove out, only planning to have one glass of wine. However, I was cajoled into drinking more and ended up taking a taxi back into town, intending to walk out the following day to get the car. Which I did.

Bloody hell! Once the footpaths ended, it was nightmarish. The hard shoulder was very narrow and cars didn't seem to want to give me that much room. I was wearing a high-vis jacket but they whizzed past, a metre or so to the left of my left shoulder.

Very unnerving...

Half Nelson

Some country roads are a nightmare. I know of a N-road (100km/h) close to a large town where there's no space for a pedestrian or cyclist - none, a narrow road with a near-vertical bank on both sides. The only way to dodge the traffic is to climb.

corporal punishment

Walking on country roads is dangerous - cycling is suicidal.
Compulsory bike registration and insurance, maybe, but what about kids on their bikes.
Low sun at this time of year is a problem but cars come with sunshades and sunglasses help too.
Speedy recovery to Mr Naughton.

gatsbygirl20

I attended a party a few kms outside of town on Friday night. I drove out, only planning to have one glass of wine. However, I was cajoled into drinking more and ended up taking a taxi back into town, intending to walk out the following day to get the car. Which I did.

Bloody hell! Once the footpaths ended, it was nightmarish. The hard shoulder was very narrow and cars didn't seem to want to give me that much room. I was wearing a high-vis jacket but they whizzed past, a metre or so to the left of my left shoulder.

Very unnerving...
Totally familiar with this scenario from my trips down West.

We tend to have the impression that you can roam free in the country and that it is safe for kids to frolic and run wild.

I find that "going for a walk"--as I still try to do on fine days, in my innocence--on country roads is not a sport for the faint-hearted

I refuse to walk on country roads at night, even with high-viz. It's just too frightening.

I was down West for the New Year and found driving into the low winter sun on narrow roads very challenging, even with my prescription sun glasses. Which is why I suspected that the sun was a factor in Mr Naughton's accident even before it was mentioned on RTE news.

The locals of course scoff at us nervous city folk. They fly around narrow bends in their SUVs, or head off walking home after closing time in the pitch dark....or drive herds of cattle around bends on narrow roads...

They believe in God..and guardian angels...and an Afterlife...

gijoe

The News seems to imply that the entire family was cycling single file with Naughten at the rear and presumably the wife up front. He was hit from behind and thrown over the handlebars.

Orbit v2

Possibly.
Horse sh!t. You don't drive unless you can see the road in front of you. Just heard there (it claimed) they were cycling single file on a straight stretch of road. Sorry, but rear ending a cyclist in that situation is dangerous or careless.

effer

The News seems to imply that the entire family was cycling single file with Naughten at the rear and presumably the wife up front. He was hit from behind and thrown over the handlebars.
That sounds dreadful. Nice guy hope he makes a good recovery.

gatsbygirl20

Has anyone linked this to Putin yet?
There are strong cultural and geographical links--apart from the obvious ones like Ming Flanagan being the spit of Rasputin

Parts of Roscommon --especially the bit between Fairymount and Ballinlough--bear a strong resemblance to Siberia..

And then of course there's Dr Zhivago's nightclub in Tulsk...

Angler

There are strong cultural and geographical links--apart from the obvious ones like Ming Flanagan being the spit of Rasputin

Parts of Roscommon --especially the bit between Fairymount and Ballinlough--bear a strong resemblance to Siberia..

Roosky :D

Dame_Enda

Hope he recovers

neveragain

Tulsk? I doubt you have ever been to Tulsk G.G. nor Siberia for that matter.petunia

gijoe

This information should be forwarded to the CIA and Obama forthwith!!

Popular Threads

Most Replies