Minister Fergus O'Dowd calls "Save Drogheda Cottage Hospital" fascists

MacBeth

700 people marched in Drogheda on Sunday 22nd January to save hospital services.

"Speaking after he was met by booing and was then directed off the stage, Minister of State for Communications Fergus O’Dowd said: “What happened today in my own town is where a bunch of fascist thugs prevented us from speaking as TDs for this town . . . and the people of Drogheda won’t wear this.”

He compared what happened to “a Nuremberg rally where you are dictated to by a small number of people.
"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0123/1224310627052.html

The arrogance of Fine Gael is incredible. They have a cheek to call anyone fascists given their history.

Bleu Poppy

700 people marched in Drogheda on Sunday 22nd January to save hospital services.

"Speaking after he was met by booing and was then directed off the stage, Minister of State for Communications Fergus O’Dowd said: “What happened today in my own town is where a bunch of fascist thugs prevented us from speaking as TDs for this town . . . and the people of Drogheda won’t wear this.”

He compared what happened to “a Nuremberg rally where you are dictated to by a small number of people.
"

Minister booed at hospital protest - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 23, 2012

The arrogance of Fine Gael is incredible. They have a cheek to call anyone fascists given their history.
1/. F.G., and its antecedents before its foundation, fought to prevent minority groups forcing their will on the majority through the use of violence- so they have every right to identify and name fascistic groupings.

2/. Why was a particular public representative singled out and not permitted to address a public meeting?

MacBeth

2/. Why was a particular public representative singled out and not permitted to address a public meeting?
I presume people are getting tired of hypocritical politicians saying one thing to get elected and doing another thing in government.

CookieMonster

I'm not sure of the particulars of the Drogheda hospital issue and, for the most part, am not really a wide supporter of the "we need a hospital" groups. But O'Dowd's comments are ridiculous, in particular his Nuremberg comment.

But this...

“I was abused going up by a man who threatened he’d pull me off.”​
LULZ.

fgrep

Do Sinn Fein defend an assult on FG TD.?

According to todays Irish Times a FG Td was assualted at a rally in Drogheda on Saturday. Government TDs were not permitted to speak at a rally in their own town . The Irish Times quotes the organising committees secretary a Sinn Fein Councillor in the report but doesnt specify if she defends the assault or condemns it. Well SF where do you stand on free speech and assaults on those who do not agree with you?

BlackLion

All TDs need a good kick up the arse and yes i am in favor of assult on TDs from FF to SF.

RobertW

“What happened today in my own town is where a bunch of fascist thugs prevented us from speaking as TDs for this town . . . and the people of Drogheda won’t wear this. . . . . . I hope

TommyO'Brien

Sinn Féin will come out with their usual lame "we don't believe in the politics of condemnation" excuse.

MacBeth

Ridiculous thread. Not even a source. Just some whinging blueshirts trying to blame republicans as usual. Only a matter of time before Jerry McCabe's corpse is dug up.

TommyO'Brien

Ridiculous thread. Not even a source. Just some whinging blueshirts trying to blame republicans as usual. Only a matter of time before Jerry McCabe's corpse is dug up.
Well your shower do dig up the corpse of Bobby Sands often enough and pose with it!

Last edited:

fgrep

It is a sad and dangerous day when SF bring mob rule to the streets of out towns.

TommyO'Brien

Sinn Féin knows all about mob rule. It has been practising it for years.

between the bridges

It is a sad and dangerous day when SF bring mob rule to the streets of out towns.
you make it sound like it's something new...

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom