Minister Flanagans justice dept flushes 3.89 million down the toilet. Just taxpayers money so no heads will roll.

The Field Marshal

Minister Flanagans justice dept flushes 3.89 million down the toilet. Just taxpayers money so no heads will roll.

The comptroller and auditor general has reported that Minister Flanagans justice dept spent 3.89 million euro on a leased building in Dublin that was never occupied.

The building is on Wolf Tone street and is I suspect the old headquarters of the PMPA.

The states lease on this building has now been terminated and the Irish taxpayer is out of pocket by 3.89 million euro for a building leased by the government but never used for anything and left sitting idle for a number of years.

The comptroller in a view of the justices deptartments IT services also found that the department failed to prepare comprehensive project budgets in the following areas.

Insolvency service of Ireland.
The Charities Regulator.
The Private Security Authority.

This is the disgusting mess presided over by minister Flanagan.

Will any civil servant be even named for flushing 3.85 million euro down the toilet.

I doubt it because taxes are paid by the little people of Ireland to be used in any way or burnt in any way by the civil servants and their political masters.

Truly scandalous.

However that is just my opinion.

What do other posters think?

Should minister Flanagan resign or at least out these wasteful bastards reckless and utterly indifferent to the criminal abuse of taxpayers money.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-spent-almost-4m-on-property-that-was-never-used-1.3238326

ger12

Over 3 million renting a building that was never used? Seriously?

brughahaha

Id say its just the tip of the iceberg

Dont expect anyone to face any disciplinary action mind , wasting tax payers money is often the route to promotion rather than face any accountability in the extremely wasteful Irish PS

RasherHash

The comptroller and auditor general has reported that Minister Flanagans justice dept spent 3.89 million euro on a leased building in Dublin that was never occupied.

The building is on Wolf Tone street and is I suspect the old headquarters of the PMPA.

The states lease on this building has now been terminated and the Irish taxpayer is out of pocket by 3.89 million euro for a building leased by the government but never used for anything and left sitting idle for a number of years.

The comptroller in a view of the justices deptartments IT services also found that the department failed to prepare comprehensive project budgets in the following areas.

The Charities Regulator.

Will any civil servant be even named for flushing 3.85 million euro down the toilet.

I doubt it because taxes are paid by the little people of Ireland to be used in any way or burnt in any way by the civil servants and their political masters.

Truly scandalous.

Should minister Flanagan resign or at least out these wasteful bastards reckless and utterly indifferent to the criminal abuse of taxpayers money.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-spent-almost-4m-on-property-that-was-never-used-1.3238326
Surely ministers or higher civil servants should carry the can for things like this and go to jail?

The Field Marshal

Over 3 million renting a building that was never used? Seriously?
Absolutely seriously.

I million in rental.
I million in fitting out.
1.8 million in legal proceedings that arose on the building.

Now the lease is terminated , the building was never used for anything at all so the Irish taxpayer is at a direct straight loss of 3.8 million euro due to the recklessness and incompetence of civil servants in minister Flanagans office and or the Office of Public Works.

Nobody is accountable.

It,s only taxpayers money.

brughahaha

Surely ministers or higher civil servants should carry the can for things like this and go to jail?
Only in countries that have a level of accountability for tax payers money

Accountability was, is and will never be a feature of the Irish PS

Peppermint

The Charities Regulator.

Truly scandalous.

If, somehow, ministers and tds were held financially accountable for their actions, they may be less wasteful of our money!
But currently they ride the gravy train, just like your local county manager, why would they rock the free money boat?

The Field Marshal

Of course they should.

Certainly a public enquiry should be held to expose possible corruption concerning who actually benefitted from this arrangement.

Im fairly certain the building concerned is the old PMPA building which has lain idle for many years and i was wondering why.

Now I know.

2 million was paid out in rent and fitting out.

Somebody benefitted/

A further 1.8 million in legal fees was paid out because due diligence was not performed by the state in relation to the planning status of the building.

[Something that any gobsh1te could have checked with a quick perusal of the buildings existing planning permission.
Even were there a planning problem it could and should have been resolved.

Sombody benefitted

ger12

Absolutely seriously.

I million in rental.
I million in fitting out.
1.8 million in legal proceedings that arose on the building.

Now the lease is terminated , the building was never used for anything at all so the Irish taxpayer is at a direct straight loss of 3.8 million euro due to the recklessness and incompetence of civil servants in minister Flanagans office and or the Office of Public Works.

Nobody is accountable.

It,s only taxpayers money.
Legal proceedings?

OrderoftheDragon

The OPW is legendary when it comes to wasting taxpayers money.

Northsideman

The big surprise about this is that people are still surprised by this type of thing.

brughahaha

The OPW is legendary when it comes to wasting taxpayers money.
Its a dreadful organisation ....one of the States worst ...which is some achievement given the competition

OrderoftheDragon

Its a dreadful organisation ....one of the States worst ...which is some achievement given the competition
Why spend €10,000 when you can spend €150,000 ? There's a decade long tribunal waiting for the OPW but they get a free pass because there only customer is the pubic/civil service and nobody never wants their light bulbs changed again.

Even the usual mouthy TD's want their office refurbished at some point........I presume

I'll just leave this here as a titbit...OPW defends cost of Ahern office

seanof

Id say its just the tip of the iceberg

Dont expect anyone to face any disciplinary action mind , wasting tax payers money is often the route to promotion rather than face any accountability in the extremely wasteful Irish PS
This is, indeed, the tip of the iceberg. Further scrutiny would likely reveal political influence held sway.

The acquiescence of Irish Civil Servants to their political masters is mind-boggling. Forget about the Yes Minister sitcom, where the Civil Servants ruled the roost. That doesn't apply in Ireland.

From the most insignificant local event to national projects, costing many millions, political influence usually trumps professional advice.

When Civil Servants decide to blow the whistle, the Garda revelations will be in the halfpenny place.

eoghanacht

Will Leo be fronting an ad campaign to stamp out such reckless spending?

Disillusioned democrat

This is, indeed, the tip of the iceberg. Further scrutiny would likely reveal political influence held sway.

The acquiescence of Irish Civil Servants to their political masters is mind-boggling. Forget about the Yes Minister sitcom, where the Civil Servants ruled the roost. That doesn't apply in Ireland.

From the most insignificant local event to national projects, costing many millions, political influence usually trumps professional advice.

When Civil Servants decide to blow the whistle, the Garda revelations will be in the halfpenny place.
Did you ever wonder why out top civil servants earn such huge salaries and get to retire young enough to enjoy their ridiculous pensions? It's to make sure they have too much at stake to rock the boat.

It's a pyramid scheme and the closer you get to the top the more you acquiescence is worth and the more you're prepared to ignore.

brughahaha

But the payback is short working week ,long holidays ,great wages , super pensions and a stress free environment even on the big bucks because failure/incompetence is tolerated and accepted

Its very much a symbiotic relationship

fergal1790

Why spend €10,000 when you can spend €150,000 ? There's a decade long tribunal waiting for the OPW but they get a free pass because there only customer is the pubic/civil service and nobody never wants their light bulbs changed again.

Even the usual mouthy TD's want their office refurbished at some point........I presume

I'll just leave this here as a titbit...OPW defends cost of Ahern office
"The works were completed by the time he resigned on May 6th last.
Will Leo be fronting an ad campaign to stamp out such reckless spending?
How much is that pr1ck's new Gestapo Public Relations Unit costing the state when there is already a unit doing the same work.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies