Minister Flanagans justice dept flushes 3.89 million down the toilet. Just taxpayers money so no heads will roll.

Watcher2

The comptroller and auditor general has reported that Minister Flanagans justice dept spent 3.89 million euro on a leased building in Dublin that was never occupied.

The building is on Wolf Tone street and is I suspect the old headquarters of the PMPA.

The states lease on this building has now been terminated and the Irish taxpayer is out of pocket by 3.89 million euro for a building leased by the government but never used for anything and left sitting idle for a number of years.

The comptroller in a view of the justices deptartments IT services also found that the department failed to prepare comprehensive project budgets in the following areas.

Insolvency service of Ireland.
The Charities Regulator.
The Private Security Authority.

This is the disgusting mess presided over by minister Flanagan.

Will any civil servant be even named for flushing 3.85 million euro down the toilet.

I doubt it because taxes are paid by the little people of Ireland to be used in any way or burnt in any way by the civil servants and their political masters.

Truly scandalous.

However that is just my opinion.

What do other posters think?

Should minister Flanagan resign or at least out these wasteful bastards reckless and utterly indifferent to the criminal abuse of taxpayers money.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-spent-almost-4m-on-property-that-was-never-used-1.3238326
Who is the landlord?

Watcher2

Absolutely seriously.

I million in rental.
I million in fitting out.
1.8 million in legal proceedings that arose on the building.

Now the lease is terminated , the building was never used for anything at all so the Irish taxpayer is at a direct straight loss of 3.8 million euro due to the recklessness and incompetence of civil servants in minister Flanagans office and or the Office of Public Works.

Nobody is accountable.

It,s only taxpayers money.
Legal proceedings?

Northsideman

Will Leo be fronting an ad campaign to stamp out such reckless spending?
He can campaign and spin all he likes, until someone actually gets sacked for these **** ups nothing will change.

Sync

This is the disgusting mess presided over by minister Flanagan.
You don't know what "preside" means.

Should minister Flanagan resign or at least out these wasteful bastards reckless and utterly indifferent to the criminal abuse of taxpayers money.
Only the stupidest person on earth would suggest that someone who took a job in June 2017 should resign over a contract signed years ago which has been subject to legal settlement half a year before he took over and was featured in an audit report for the year before he took over. I'm sure someone will suggest it.

Identify the person who was responsible for checking the planning permission on the property before contract signing. Fire them. If there wasn't a person assigned responsibility for that job, fire whoever was in charge of the project.

It's unhelpful (and bad writing) that they don't delve more into who was in charge when the contract was signed, what role an individual dept has in the process (Or is it handled by a central property acquisition team etc).

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

Only the stupidest person on earth would suggest that someone who took a job in June 2017 should resign over a contract signed years ago which has been subject to legal settlement half a year before he took over and was featured in an audit report for the year before he took over. I'm sure someone will suggest it.

Identify the person who was responsible for checking the planning permission on the property before contract signing. Fire them. If there wasn't a person assigned responsibility for that job, fire whoever was in charge of the project.

It's unhelpful (and bad writing) that they don't delve more into who was in charge when the contract was signed, what role an individual dept has in the process (Or is it handled by a central property acquisition team etc).
It's frustrating seeing the C&AG report year-in year-out highlight the level of waste it does, but because there's never any follow through we're left wondering was it incompetence, corruption, bad luck, etc., but the bottomline is no one suffers, no example is made of the individual whose laziness or greed cost the state, so it will just continue ad infinitum.

greengoose2

Only the most stupid person on Earth would suggest that someone who took the job in July 2017 would not be alarmed with this colossal waste of money!

Only the most stupid person on Earth would suggest that someone who took the job in July 2017 would not be alarmed at the colossal mess that is the Garda Síochána.

Only the most stupid person on Earth would suggest that someone who took the job in July 2017 would defend the "Law and Order Part" in this pathetic way.

These joke ministers suffer a lot from amnesia, nescience, and naiveté. THey get on-the-job experience and after four years fooling around, walk away from their mess like a dog from his shíte.

Nice apologism all the same.

Jack O Neill

Only the most stupid person on Earth would suggest that someone who took the job in July 2017 would not be alarmed with this colossal waste of money!

Only the most stupid person on Earth would suggest that someone who took the job in July 2017 would not be alarmed at the colossal mess that is the Garda Síochána.

Only the most stupid person on Earth would suggest that someone who took the job in July 2017 would defend the "Law and Order Part" in this pathetic way.

These joke ministers suffer a lot from amnesia, nescience, and naiveté. THey get on-the-job experience and after four years fooling around, walk away from their mess like a dog from his shíte.

Nice apologism all the same.
The most stupid people on earth are , blueshirts and their apologists like Sync

Sync

The most stupid people on earth are , blueshirts and their apologists like Sync
There's no apologism at all. Flanigan is in no way responsible or accountable for this. He had nothing to do with it. What would be good to know is who oversaw the substandard contract signing. So if for instance that was Fitzgerald and she's culpable for some of this (i.e not just accountable but responsible), then you sack her.

But "Let's sack the guy who was appointed after all this took place" is moronic.

greengoose2

There's no apologism at all. Flanigan is in no way responsible or accountable for this. He had nothing to do with it. What would be good to know is who oversaw the substandard contract signing. So if for instance that was Fitzgerald and she's culpable for some of this (i.e not just accountable but responsible), then you sack her.

But "Let's sack the guy who was appointed after all this took place" is moronic.
It is all apologism! Read what I wrote. Flanagan is implicated in this at 100% as he is the person ultimately in charge. He took on the job and incidentally, is being handsomely paid for it.

But then, isn't hand wringing and blaming others what FG and the PDs are/were good at? Little Brits...

derryman

I mostly agree with this, but standard practice in government appears to be to move the culprit to another department and reveal the mess some months or years later. Thus the current incumbent is defended by people like yourself. Flanagan should now be sitting in front of a camera explaining how this happened , exactly who was responsible and what is going to be done. If he can't or won't do that then sack him. However we know that won't happen either. So nobody takes any responsibility and Flanagan simply shrugs his shoulders and the costs will be recovered from cuts to services and the little guy who gets up early in the morning. A revolution is well needed.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
The building in question was owned by liam carrol of zoe developments .I believe it was transfered into his wife s name .

Disillusioned democrat

This is Leo Varadkar's first C&AG report as Taoiseach - it's the perfect time to make a real change.

He should now insist each Minister responsible for departments found to have wasted tax payers money identify at least one civil servant responsible and make an example - pour encourager les outres - to really make a difference.

Leo Varadkhar sought to weed out unnecessary waste/fraud in the social welfare budget so it's to be expected he would act just as vigourously on waste/fraud in the overall budget too.

To take no action would be a real sign that, as suspected by many here and across the electorate, that he's all mouth.

Sync

It is all apologism! Read what I wrote. Flanagan is implicated in this at 100% as he is the person ultimately in charge. He took on the job and incidentally, is being handsomely paid for it.

But then, isn't hand wringing and blaming others what FG and the PDs are/were good at? Little Brits...
I'm not sure you've read the article. The contract was signed in at least 2015. The legal battle took place in 2016. The audit report is on the year 2016. Flanagan got the job in June 2017. In what possible way is he "implicated" in this? How was he ultimately in charge? You seem to think he's responsible because you found out about it today and he's in charge today. A 5 year old is smarter than that.

And by idiotically focusing on him, you don't focus on who was in charge when it actually occurred.

Blaming him is like convicting a homeowner for the murder of a body killed and buried by the last owner.

greengoose2

I'm not sure you've read the article. The contract was signed in at least 2015. The legal battle took place in 2016. The audit report is on the year 2016. Flanagan got the job in June 2017. In what possible way is he "implicated" in this? How was he ultimately in charge? You seem to think he's responsible because you found out about it today and he's in charge today. A 5 year old is smarter than that.

And by idiotically focusing on him, you don't focus on who was in charge when it actually occurred.

Blaming him is like convicting a homeowner for the murder of a body killed and buried by the last owner.
Would you stop making an eejit out of yourself! The man is charge is Flanagan. He accepted the job, is being handsomely paid for "doing it" and is more concerned with other matters. An FG thing!

Now as we are into questioning reading, you could get out a five year old's book and concentrate on that. Flanagan is in charge. He is the Minister for that department. Prior to that it was Fitzgerald...

He will not say that the Lady presided over that mess. He will not say that Nóirín mad a hydraulix of the Garda force. This shít is apologism to which you seem to be an ardent fan!

As for your analogy, the if your bog standard FG TD found a body in the house he bought it probably wouldn't be reported anyway.

Disillusioned democrat

Would you stop making an eejit out of yourself! The man is charge is Flanagan. He accepted the job, is being handsomely paid for "doing it" and is more concerned with other matters. An FG thing!

Now as we are into questioning reading, you could get out a five year old's book and concentrate on that. Flanagan is in charge. He is the Minister for that department. Prior to that it was Fitzgerald...

He will not say that the Lady presided over that mess. He will not say that Nóirín mad a hydraulix of the Garda force. This shít is apologism to which you seem to be an ardent fan!

As for your analogy, the if your bog standard FG TD found a body in the house he bought it probably wouldn't be reported anyway.
I'd normally be an "off with his head" kind of guy, especially when lazy, venal and incompetent politicians are involved, but I have to agree that he can't take responsibility for what occurred before he was the relevant Minister, but how about Frances Fitzgerald - was she not the Minister at the time? How come she's not involved in explaining this?

How they react next is how we should judge them. If Flanagan doesn't find out WHO is responsible and name and shame, take appropriate disciplinary action etc., then you have a right to expect him to resign.

Always too much bewildered head scratching when stuff like this emerges, wailing about how it could have been allowed to happen..well, here it is - no follow through on this and it's going to happen again and again.

Not following through is effectively an endorsement of the poor practices and systemic waste in the government departments.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies