• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Minister for Finance mostly bothered about "beating" Dublin

Schuhart

I know this was intended for parochial consumption; It’s unfortunate that the Interweb allows us to see what Government Ministers say to the crowd back home.
Vacant Dell building is lined up for 400 call centre jobs - Business - Limerick Leader

In his speech last Friday, Mr Noonan said that Limerick could make huge strides in attracting companies in the financial services sector because the cost base here is considerably lower than in Dublin. He also referred to “the availability of bright people out in LIT, and the university” and on challenging Dublin for jobs in this growing area he said: “We will beat them, and on the lifestyle, we will beat them at that too.”
Is there any chance of him altering his spin, and directing the locals to the common need for Ireland to “beat” international competition, rather than pandering to old themes?

clytaemnestra

I am sure it's about tone. The piece might not have conveyed that very well. Noonan is well known for his dry sense of humour; he was probably meaning it light-heartedly.

Analyzer

Limerick is in a desperate situation with regards to unemployment. Last I heard it was a three way competition between Donegal, Waterford and Limerick for having the most severe unemployment rate in the country.

Still his comment is not particularly bright.

lying eyes

I am sure it's about tone. The piece might not have conveyed that very well. Noonan is well known for his dry sense of humour; he was probably meaning it light-heartedly.
Yep - there might be a special allowence for being a comic as well, at this stage it would not surprise me........

mhagain

How about not even being bothered about "beating" anyone; just doing well enough to stand on our own feet for now.

Limerick Lad

I know this was intended for parochial consumption; It’s unfortunate that the Interweb allows us to see what Government Ministers say to the crowd back home.
Is there any chance of him altering his spin, and directing the locals to the common need for Ireland to “beat” international competition, rather than pandering to old themes?
Perhaps if you read the article properly you would see that potential jobs mentioned are not from a multinational company but from an indigenous one, therefore any competition for its location would be internal and jobs are needed in Limerick just as much as elsewhere in the country.

While the identity of the new employer lined up for the the giant and empty building at the Raheen industrial estate remains under wraps, the Leader can confirm that it is not a multinational company and that the new venture is an indigenous one, with a major requirement for front-office and call-centre operations.

Boy M5

Schuhart

Give it a rest. Dublin does not = Ireland.
I didn't read it as that. If that's Schuart's subtext I certainly disagree & yes I know he has form.

Boy M5

What this thread does tell me is that despite the hype, our GNP is still falling, our debt level from the bank bailout (of French & German banks) is unsustainable. This has an impact on our country, our people & society - a terrible impact.

seabhcan

So you are against competition now?

deepness

Schuhart on a Limerick/Shannon/Clare/Midwest rant..

well there's a surprise :roll:

Jack White

I'd love to know what he is on about - Limerick lifestyle being better than Dublin lifestyle ?

So much for the new politics of course. It looks a lot worse because he is not only a minister, but possibly the most important minister.

As such he ought not to be acting so parochially. On the other hand though, as someone said, his personality gives a context that isn't so easily apparent from the written word.

I would like to see Limerick getting a boost. It badly needs it.

Schuhart

Colin M

Outside of Dublin, the average county in Ireland has a population of what - only 60,000? Places like Texas in USA, at least have way more of an excuse for thinking locally.

blokesbloke

Actually if different parts of Ireland compete against each other for jobs and investment, then that helps Ireland as a whole, because all of Ireland gets more competitive by improving themselves in relation to the rest of the country.

A job created anywhere in Ireland benefits the whole country, and if the whole of Ireland gets more competitive by internal competition, then Ireland as a whole becomes more attractive - you'll all be competing for a bigger slice of a bigger pie.

Dublin has a natural advantage over all other areas of Ireland and so the rest of the country should be encouraged to compete and improve, and use what advantages they have, which might include a better quality of life.

Besides plenty on here who whine about Dublin subsidising the rest of the country - so no good whining when they compete to get jobs and investment is it?

wishywashy

Dry sense of humour? I wonder if the McCole family would call it that.

collina

Noonan previously had women suffering/dieing with Hepatitis C at the top of his list of people he wanted to beat. He seems emboldened by that victory.

Mattarigna

Dublin has the lowest unemployment in the entire country & I would think that providing jobs in employment blackspots would be in the National interest.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Mr Noonan's dry sense of humour is a myth, as far as I am concerned. People seem to confuse arrogant put-downs with humerous comments.

That and him saying 2-12 and 2-13 instead of 20-12 and 20-13, really gets my goat!

stakerwallace

Mr Noonan's dry sense of humour is a myth, as far as I am concerned. People seem to confuse arrogant put-downs with humerous comments.

That and him saying 2-12 and 2-13 instead of 20-12 and 20-13, really gets my goat!
Your goat seems easily 'gotten'.