• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Minister James Reilly ... again

ger12

This Week on Radio 1 just covered yet another story about James and the bumping up of ... no ... not health centres this time but hospital upgrades in Kilkenny and Wexford. Ministers Howlin and Hogan announced the great news to their constituencies before the HSE had signed off on the decision.

I'm sure we'll yet again hear accusations of cronyism and demands that the Minister resign, which will again be ignored. As more details become available of the latest scandal to hit James Reilly, please feel free to add to this thread.

I wonder what Cather Magee ex-CEO of the HSE is thinking right now ... :roll:

"Hospital upgrades in the constituencies of two Cabinet colleagues were accelerated in the HSE Capital Plan at the behest of the Minister for Health, RTÉ's This Week programme has learned under documents released under the Freedom of Information Act."

This Week has seen the letter, which informs Principal Officer Jim Breslin of the need for extra money if the upgrades to the emergency departments in the two hospitals are to be completed on the timelines announced by Ministers Howlin and Hogan. In the case of Wexford General Hospital, the HSE informed the Dept of Health that an extra €20m would be needed for the building works, while just over €14m would be needed for Kilkenny.

Approval of this funding had to be sanctioned by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform.

An exchange of emails between the HSE Director of Estates and the Department of Health reveals an additional €12m was ultimately approved for Wexford General Hospital by Mr Howlin's department, while improvements in Kilkenny were to be financed by "efficiencies" in other hospital equipment budgets".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0127/364743-hospital/

Last edited:

Cato

I wonder how the people of Waterford and their representatives feel about this news. Waterford hospital is being downgraded while its neighbours are enhanced. They never really had a chance with Howlin and Hogan pulling off a pincer manoeuvre on them.

Nice but of road investment going into Wexford as well.

Ulster-Lad

or Roscommon.

ruserious

I wonder how the people of Waterford and their representatives feel about this news. Waterford hospital is being downgraded while its neighbours are enhanced. They never really had a chance with Howlin and Hogan pulling off a pincer manoeuvre on them.

Nice but of road investment going into Wexford as well.
Waterford has been savaged by this government and the last.

spidermom

Is this the new a&e in wexford..?
Cos this was planned under the last administration...simply was confirmed by Howlin!!..(much an all as he'd like the credit it for it)...

No Reilly fan...but this smacks of old news...

ger12

Cos this was planned under the last administration...simply was confirmed by Howlin!!..(much an all as he'd like the credit it for it)...

Both I think had made it to planning stage, like many many other projects. The bumping bit is the issue it appears.

Sierra

There were plenty of these 'planned' under the last administration, it is political interference in the process with the aim to bumping up certain facilities to the top of the list which is the real issue.

hiding behind a poster

Radio 1 just covered yet another story about James and the bumping up of ... no ... not health centres this time but hospital upgrades in Kilkenny and Wexford. Ministers Howlin and Hogan announced the great news to their constituencies before the HSE had signed off on the decision.

I'm sure we'll yet again hear accusations of cronyism and demands that the Minister resign, which will again be ignored. As more details become available of the latest scandal to hit James Reilly, please feel free to add to this thread.

I wonder what Cather Magee ex-CEO of the HSE is thinking right now ... :roll:
It would appear that you and others seem to think the Minister for Health should have no role in deciding where health infrastructure should be. Why do you think that?

hiding behind a poster

There were plenty of these 'planned' under the last administration, it is political interference in the process with the aim to bumping up certain facilities to the top of the list which is the real issue.
What "list". And is this "list" set in stone? Did Moses deliver it to the HSE along with the Ten Commandments?

Cato

It had only been at the design stage but was bumped right up the list by Reilly to the 'build it before the next election' stage.

As a happy consequence Howlin gets to benefit from it electorally.

turdsl

It just goes on and on, Gombeenism, Cronyism and stroke politics,

This surely lays it on the line for those loyal supporters, who keep telling
us, they are not as bad as they last crowd

They are worse,no shame at all, not yet two years in office,
handing out the favours as good as Fianna Fail ever did.

Denis Naughton and Roscommon got the lash for not backing Kenny

Reilly and Hogan are been well compensated now,

Kenny and Gilmore have to keep Reilly on Board,if he goes they are gone, however,there is no doubt that he will end this governments reign before long

After the insulting remarks to the nurses, no doubt we will have another vote of confidence in March,

What a disgrace in front of the EU, Stroke politics been exposed,

hiding behind a poster

It just goes on and on, Gombeenism, Cronyism and stroke politics,

This surely lays it on the line for those loyal supporters, who keep telling
us, they are not as bad as they last crowd

They are worse,no shame at all, not yet two years in office,
handing out the favours as good as Fianna Fail ever did.

Denis Naughton and Roscommon got the lash for not backing Kenny

Reilly and Hogan are been well compensated now,

Kenny and Gilmore have to keep Reilly on Board,if he goes they are gone, however,there is no doubt that he will end this governments reign before long

After the insulting remarks to the nurses, no doubt we will have another vote of confidence in March,

What a disgrace in front of the EU, Stroke politics been exposed,
Yeah I'm sure the EU are devastated. Cheer up, FFS.

ger12

It would appear that you and others seem to think the Minister for Health should have no role in deciding where health infrastructure should be. Why do you think that?
Depends on the Minister in Health it now appears ;)

james toney

I don't expect you to show empathy, but that remark makes you seem like a c-nut.
The "seem"and "like" should have been omitted.

hiding behind a poster

I don't expect you to show empathy, but that remark makes you seem like a c-nut.
You want me to a) accept your premise that "Waterford has been savaged by this government and the last", and b) to "show empathy."

Well, given that I can't stand the inherent parochialism and localism that infests Irish politics, as manifested in the nonsense you regularly hear about each government being good/bad/indifferent to (insert name of county in which local gobshyte is stumping for votes), I think its safe to say that in looking for either acknowledgement of that sort of nonsense or "empathy" for the persecution complex you're nursing from me, then you've come to the wrong person.

Marcos the black

The same ones were on here bitching (rightly so) about Mary Harney using the HSE as an excuse for not making decisions or taking responsibility for decisions made......... Now they're giving out about a ministers who does make decisions.....

sic transit

It had only been at the design stage but was bumped right up the list by Reilly to the 'build it before the next election' stage.

As a happy consequence Howlin gets to benefit from it electorally.
Well our NCH hasn't even got that far. Someone benefits somewhere. I'm inclined to go with spidermom on this and not the increasingly creepy Reilly Stalking Society on here. All the same worn out clichés and dreary arguments.

Popular Threads

Most Replies