Minister plans to end 'off-road' tax exemption

spidermom

He3

Proof he knows we are going over the cliff spidermom.

jackryan

Time tax and insurance added on to petrol! if u use it u pay more! and every driver pays!!

Tim Johnston

Ridiculous!

punishing people who don't use their vehicles all year round? Nice.

spidermom

Proof he knows we are going over the cliff spidermom.
AND...he is going sacrifice all the D4 Yummy's first?????...

Sorry He3...but I did "snow" laugh at all the "jeeps" abandoned on the road today!

an innocent abroad

4x4's in D4, are known as " Ballsbridge tractors" Driven by non D4's, but by new emigrants fron the countryside, who are wannabe's D4's!.............................. Born and reared in D4 got the stamp on my ass to prove it.

Run_to_da_hills

Ridiculous!

punishing people who don't use their vehicles all year round? Nice.
Punish those who have their car stuck in their driveway because they have lost their Job and cant afford to use it. :mad:

jackryan

Do you have any idea how much extra that might add to a litre of petrol?
Yes but first off everyone pays! even those who don't bother to tax/insure! as you need to have fuel to run the vechile?
if u are off the road (for whatever reason) for 6 months u don't pay!
less admin costs!
everyone is covered insurance wise!
if u travel 10000Km should u not pay more than those who travel 1000km?
no more guards wasting time on checking discs!!

truthisfree

Yes but first off everyone pays! even those who don't bother to tax/insure! as you need to have fuel to run the vechile?
less admin costs!

I was not disagreeing with you, just wondering how much extra this would add to a litre of petrol. (literally)

Run_to_da_hills

less admin costs!
If diesel soars in price down south it will only encourage a surge in cross border sales and diesel laundering.

Squib

I really didn't know there was a tax incentive to drive these "tractors" around our Towns and Cities.

I had assumed that people who drove 4x4s were selfish, shallow, fashion victims.

It brightens my day to learn that the people who drive Urban Combine Harvesters and require two parking spaces are just trying to save a few quid on tax rather than being ignorant morons.

truthisfree

If diesel soars in price down south it will only encourage a surge in cross border sales and diesel laundering.
They are already considering doing this in the UK (See link)

RAC Ireland
9.2c a Km – the cost of a trip in Ireland

link

In recent weeks, the UK government has raised the prospect of introducing a “pay as you go” system for motoring as a means to spread the costs of motoring-related taxation more equitably among car-owners. The proposal would involve doing away with all other motor-related taxation: excise on fuel, road tax, etc.
From the same article:

Road tax: €300
VRT: €500 (annualised figure)
Fuel: €672 (based on average distance travelled of 16,000 km per year: Excise duty of 44.3c per litre of unleaded fuel – average engine performance of 10.55 km per litre of petrol)
Note this includes VRT.

This would add 97.06c to the price of a litre of petrol or what I would think more acceptably leave out the VRT and then it would add 36.4c to a litre of petrol.

(Please check my figures, I am no accountant :))

Current average cost of a litre of petrol = 132.9c this would mean that road tax could be abolished completely, petrol would cost 169c per litre.

There is a whole lot to be said for this and no more peoples cars being impounded, reduced Gardai resources and the collection point for the taxes is already in place ie garages.

Last edited:

jackryan

ok let the untaxed and uninsured run wild!! come on it would be way handier!! I bet the north and uk wood probably follow suit!! can we not lead the way?

quackquack

I really didn't know there was a tax incentive to drive these "tractors" around our Towns and Cities.

I had assumed that people who drove 4x4s were selfish, shallow, fashion victims.

It brightens my day to learn that the people who drive Urban Combine Harvesters and require two parking spaces are just trying to save a few quid on tax rather than being ignorant morons.
Reading comprehension not big among non SUV drivers?
Get off the soap box. It's got to do with having to tax your car when it is not in use. Nothing to do with 4be4's...

Tim Johnston

less admin costs!
In South Africa, all third party insurance (but not tax) is covered that way. Problem is, while it's a good idea, the fund is bankrupt....

Tim Johnston

They are already considering doing this in the UK (See link)

RAC Ireland
9.2c a Km – the cost of a trip in Ireland

link

From the same article:

Note this includes VRT.

This would add 97.06c to the price of a litre of petrol or what I would think more acceptably leave out the VRT and then it would add 36.4c to a litre of petrol.

(Please check my figures, I am no accountant :))

Current average cost of a litre of petrol = 132.9c this would mean that road tax could be abolished completely, petrol would cost 169c per litre.

There is a whole lot to be said for this and no more peoples cars being impounded, reduced Gardai resources and the collection point for the taxes is already in place ie garages.
I like it.

I object to taxation according to the size of your engine anyway - you already pay more fuel tax from using more fuel....

New Threads

Most Replies