• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Minister Reilly found to be in breach of Dail standing orders

Grey Area

In an article published yesterday Irishhealth.com it revealed that a complaint made to the Ceann Comhairle by Labours Robert Dowds TD concerning the Minister for Health James Reilly TD for not fully answering a question put to him was upheld.

This is the second such complaint that has been upheld by the Ceann Comhairle against Minister Reilly both questions related to primary care centre lists. Previously the Ceann Comhairle upheld a complaint from Sinn Fein's Caoimhghin O'Caolain that Minister Reilly had not fully answered a question from the Deputy in relation to information about the final list of 35 centres.

FOI documents released show that Ministers press advisor, Mark Costigan, pictued above, engaged with a senior Department official concerning the written parliamentary replies. The content for written Dail responses is usually provided for Ministers by civil servants.

In responses provided to the Ministers press advisor, Mark Costigan, documents show that the Dept. official said

the Dept. 'is obliged to answer parliamentary questions submitted to the Minister.'

"'I am very conscious that, on two occasions in the last few weeks, the Department has been found by the Ceann Comhairle to be in breach of Dail Standing Orders for not answering PQs that were put to the Minister"

'it was in this context that I was particularly insistent last Tuesday that the reply given should answer the question asked." the official was responding to a previous email and phone conversation with Dr Reilly's press adviser.

"Details of the specific issues raised by Mr Costigan in relation to the PQ were not included in the FOI documentation released to irishhealth.com"

Question - Is it condusive to open government that Ministerial press advisors are engaging with dept officials charged with the legal responsibility of providing written parliamentary responses as to the activities of their respective dept's?

Queries over Reilly's Dail answers on centres

topcat4

Reilly again, Jaysus I know he was loyal to Enda in putsch before the GE, but how long can he look at him.

Its hard enough for FG, given the budget situation, but this guy is a PR nightmare on top of that.

Levellers

Reilly is clearly out of his depth - never mind where his moral compass is - and should be given the boot.

hiding behind a poster

Why isn't it? Man, your obsession with James Reilly is getting, well, a bit obsessive.

ger12

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Reilly will get into the Guiness book of records for incompetence and cronyism. That's Fianna Gael for ya.

SeanieFitz

Why isn't it? Man, your obsession with James Reilly is getting, well, a bit obsessive.
In fairness what they OP details are facts. If Reilly was opposition spokesman he would be condemning this very loudly, he seems to stagger from one self inflicted disaster to the next.

Howya

Reilly will get into the Guiness book of records for incompetence and cronyism. That's Fianna Gael for ya.

I'm no defender of Reilly but as for who would top the list for incompetence and cronyism - that is a long list with many contenders. Poll anyone?

seanmacc

Reilly is clearly out of his depth - never mind where his moral compass is - and should be given the boot.
Who would take on the job? Its clearly a poisoned chalice. If there was someone in the government parties more willing and able to do the job they'd of given him the chop by now.

I'd say he probably has the safest job in government.

Grey Area

Coming from a poster with 46,081 post in favour of FG?

If Minister Reilly just published the "criteria" used to spend public money there would be no need for the wasting of public money in answering parliamentary questions, press advisors, wasting the time of the Ceann Comhairle and his officials, the Department of Health's Assistant Secretary General Bairbre Nic Aongusa and other officials.

i.e. true open government

daveL

I think Reilly is operating exactly how Reilly wants to be operating.

I don't think his behaviour is as a result of being out of his depth. He is in politics for personal gain. Nothing else. Venal to the core in my opinion.

Radix

I've been asking him for years is he related to Treebeard from Lord of the Rings

Still waiting for an answer.

Grey Area

Fine Gael - in oppostion promised the following

Open Government

Fine Gael believes that if the Dail and society more generally is to hold Government to
account, we also need strong Open Government legislation.
We have therefore published an

Open Government Bill that will:
1. Significantly strengthen Freedom of Information (FOI);
2. Establish a “whistleblowers charter”;
3. Register all lobbyists; and
4. Create a new Electoral Commission.

Any updates?

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/NewPolitics.pdf

Grey Area

The Department of Health's Assistant Secretary General Bairbre Nic Aongusa full response provided to the Ministers press advisor, Mark Costigan.

emulator

Is that a record hbap? 3rd post in ...
He must have an alarm app or something that goes off whenever "Reilly", "FG" or "Government" appear on P.ie :)

He might want to add "useless" and "arsewholes"to that list....

emulator

The Department of Health's Assistant Secretary General Bairbre Nic Aongusa full response provided to the Ministers press advisor, Mark Costigan.
The opening line of the letter says it all.... "I refer to our phone conversation", shows Reilly's press advisor is at least not that stupid to be mailing something that can be accessed through FOI. To me this shows a Department being used as Reilly's playground. Why would Reilly's PR advisor be concerned abour Reilly answering questions in the Dáil ? Surely all he has to do is tell the truth.... ?

Unless of course Reilly had something to hide that is.... Sure even in the course of answering the questions he did deem to warrant a reply, he misled the Dáil, giving conflicting reasons and explanations, sometimes in the one standing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies