Minister won't admit that the goverment will have to pay penalties on toll roads.

jpc

Sweary Mary and Dempsey kicking to touch on the subject.
It seems that the traffic volumes are too low (or all the tolls too high).
Demps says talk to the NRA.
Gilmore blanked by Coughlan when he tried to get the matter of penalties for low traffic volumes clarified.

grainne whale

I always felt that Toll Roads and Toll Bridges were always a Fianna Fail stitch up for their 'cronies'.

DCon

Gilmore blanked by Coughlan when he tried to get the matter of penalties for low traffic volumes clarified.
The Cough told Gilmore it is a matter for the Minister for Transport.

Noelo previously said it is a matter for the NRA.

Why are these fools paid so much if they delegate all responsibility and accountability?

wexfordman

Well obviously the solution is MORE TOLLS :roll:

Mushroom

I always felt that Toll Roads and Toll Bridges were always a Fianna Fail stitch up for their 'cronies'.
And you can add National Conference Centres to that list. :mad:

maxthedog

If you are one of the 450,000 unemployed , E1.80 is harder to find and thats just to go shopping, not for pleasnt days sightseeing.

CorruptFF have signed public/private partnership deals that mean if road traffic drops below certain figures, they will reimburse their developer buddies with monies from the public purse.

As the recession bites, zanuFF cronies are feeling the pinch, so FF will screw the public for more cash to fill the trough

I posted this 13 hours ago on the other toll road thread, should P.ie get the credit for making Sweary squirm

jpc

If there was ever an implement for putting an enormous squeeze on the government for explanations, and simultaneously rising the electorate out of their apathy .
This is it.
Shoddy deals carried out by incompetents and time servers who have yet to be made accountable for their actions.

jpc

Just finished talking on the subject on Newstalk.
There is no risk taking for the private component of PPP's ie if the traffic volumes don't rise to a certain level the government have to stump up.
NRA (who wouldn't put up a spokesman) blather on about commercial sensitivity wrt the details of the operating agreement.
No one looses but the taxpayer and the motorist.

myksav

I thought that the compensing the toll companies was complained about here when the it kicked off. It's now exactly new news.

Cael

Just finished talking on the subject on Newstalk.
There is no risk taking for the private component of PPP's ie if the traffic volumes don't rise to a certain level the government have to stump up.
NRA (who wouldn't put up a spokesman) blather on about commercial sensitivity wrt the details of the operating agreement.
No one looses but the taxpayer and the motorist.
Well, in all fairness, Tarawatch told the people of this dirty deal to remove all risk from the toll companies, but nobody cared at the time. But, now we will pay and pay and pay, whether we use the road or not. Just like we paid for the M50 bridge across the Liffey thousands of times over, and made a small consortium of well connected lawyers, accountants and doctors super rich.

jpc

I thought that the compensing the toll companies was complained about here when the it kicked off. It's now exactly new news.
Its going to be for the complacent many who went through the last decade on autopilot.
Add in Demps latest brainfart to toll every half decent road in the country paid for in the main with taxpayers money.
This story should be news.

Twin Towers

The new M3 from Clonee to Kells is redundant anytime I've been on it because they've stuck 2 tolls on the 30 mile stretch. Don't they know Cavan peoples aversion to putting their hands in their pockets once never mind twice?

kerdasi amaq

I'd suppose that a government of village idiots, elected by other village idiots, are the only people who would think that this is a great deal.

An Gilladaker

The new M3 from Clonee to Kells is redundant anytime I've been on it because they've stuck 2 tolls on the 30 mile stretch. Don't they know Cavan peoples aversion to putting their hands in their pockets once never mind twice?
Have heard Cavan people sew up the pockets on all their garments except at confirmation time :)

myksav

Its going to be for the complacent many who went through the last decade on autopilot.
Add in Demps latest brainfart to toll every half decent road in the country paid for in the main with taxpayers money.
This story should be news.
(damn, I just read my post, terrible spelling.)

I think I broke my autopilot some time in the 60's.
I can see our non-motorway roads degrading if this goes through as trucks will increasingly avoid the toll roads. They aren't really designed to take the tonnage that modern traffic level put on the road.
We'll also likely see an increase in road fatalities and injuries as more drivers avoid toll roads.

Thing is, I recall hearing that the tolls collected in this PPP road construction already exceed the cost of building them.
As a capitalist, I am somewhat envious of the business acumen of the toll companies to get the State to sign the contract as it is.
As a road user, I'm somewhat disgusted at the Gov't advisers/negotiators in giving away so much in that contract.

(I use the word somewhat in its loosest possible meaning)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies